MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leonov is fired, the factory take the control for the rest of the year, while looking for a sponsor ...

Roccoli , Jules and Corti stay , more news at Misano....:popcorn:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Nothing on the Yakhnich site about it.

·
Registered
947 Posts
To add a little fuel to the fire - In this article on World SBK this morning after Jules name it clearly had the usual MV Agusta RC - Yakhnich Motorsport but this evening it has changed to just MV Agusta Reparto Corse without mention of Yakhnich. Maybe they already know something.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2014/Misano+preview+WSS

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yakhnich pulling out

Italian news reporting that Russian financial backers of MV racing team are out. Decision was for economic reasons related to cancellation of Moscow Superbike race. Leonov will be replaced by Massimo Roccoli, who races an F3 in the Italian championship and just two weeks ago won both supersport races at Imola. Cluzel stays, as does Corti. So for now MV continues without a partner, though article says that reorganizing the team on such a short notice won't be easy, while a sponsor will be badly needed especially if MV wishes to continue racing in both categories.

Source:
http://www.gazzetta.it/Moto/Superbike/17-06-2014/mv-agusta-russi-se-ne-vanno-supersport-resta-obiettivo-80957981770.shtml

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
Lets hope the factory can land a good sponsor. I can't see that it would be hard for the WSS team, as they've had such a good showing in with the F3. If you sponsor Wss, do you also have to sponsor the wsbK team?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
It is of course a weird marriage; Italian and Russian...

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
It is of course a weird marriage; Italian and Russian...
The divorce is final, and with fitting political over-/under- tones to boot.

As long as Jules is podiuming and Corti is still on the track, I'm good. SBK needs an additional entry/bike/rider for a 2-bike effort.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was very disappointed when MV switched from ParkinGo to the Russian team and this just ads to that disappointment. Here is to hoping that they can find a sponsor and they can complete the rest of the season.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The MV Factory cannot fund a one bike SBK team without some big sponsorship, a two bike team is just day dreaming. The current F4 is simply not going to close the gap to the Kawasaki and Aprilia hordes, so who would want to cash up on a back marker? The 2 bike WSS team might attract some sponsorship as they are at the sharp end of races and do get a good deal of television exposure. I fear the Factory will not be able to cover the huge costs and may well go missing before the end of the season.
jimboF4

·
Registered
174 Posts
Let's nip this one in the bud! Though the crashnet article implies that yakhnich pulled out because of F4 not performing as expected in Superbike, where's the evidence of this? Besides the fact that it makes no sense, all other sources attribute the decision to financial reasons. Just the usual badmouthing.

As for Parkingo, from what I read, it was the owner's decision to withdraw from racing. He was extremely upset over needless death of Antonelli in the Moscow race last year, and he did not see eye to eye with Dorna, who run the Supersport championship.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Whatever the reasons are that Yachnich pulled the plug you cannot overlook the facts that the F4 is simply not competitive in it's current form, you can dream and bullshit all you like, results don't lie.

I know MV wanted to use this SBK season to learn and come back next year with a more developed bike, but sponsors cannot just wait and keep spending without some hope and positive gains.

As a die hard MV owner and lifelong fan if it was my budget I would grit my teeth and hang in, but the modern world of money and demand for results does not allow for that.

The WSS F3 is MV's money maker at the moment both on track and in the showroom, I really hope someone with deep pockets can see that and step up.
jimboF4

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I find the statements a bit putting everything into negative perspective about the F4 in wsbk. They are potentially running towards top 10. Okay, not a winner, but still a reasonably good achievement in the first year. Let's just cheer them on and hope that MV gets the sponsor they need to develop the bike more. The basis is there and they are hanging on!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Fair enough JimboF4. I respect where you're coming from. Personally I'm more optimistic about the F4 project despite difficult first year -- the level in Superbike is extremely high, and teams with much greater development budgets, motogp electronics packages and top riders have taken years to get up to speed, if ever. And I'm encouraged that Corti, far from having that haunted look of the rider tied to a sinking ship, seems excited and motivated, never ceasing to repeat that the bike is coming along, even if results aren't there yet.

No arguing that the money boys have a different view of things. Anyways - fingers crossed!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
MV Agusta made it very clear from the beginning that they did not expect to do well in the Superbike class. They are well aware that the current F4 is not competitive enough to run with the big boys of WSBK.

The reason for MV racing in Superbike this year is to gather information in order to better understand what is required to build a new superbike platform to have a bike that can compete with other manufacturers on the racetrack but also on the sales floors.

This is also the reason why MV entered the factory rather than the less competitive Evo class. The factory class allows them to change many more things on the bike and therefore they can try and learn more for the next Superbike, than they could in the more restricted Evo class.

Pretty smart if you ask me.....!!

I just hope that the split from Yakhnich will not throw too much of a wrench into MV's bike development. I don't think so. That Brian Gillen guy, who is the head of racing as well as Mv's chief engineer, is a pretty sharp cookie!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
I don't think for a moment, that the split was due only or even at all about the F4's performance.
If Yakhnich was expecting better results from a one bike effort they where foolish, I think Leonov's effort must be pretty embarrassing to say the least.

What about political problems, nobody seem to think of the races in Russia being cancelled?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts