MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - So I went for a ride today from Brentwood to San Jose - est 68 miles one way. The temperature when I left was 92F' and the F4 was varying between 186F-203F' on the Freeway. Once I got to San Jose, I was riding 35-45 MPH on the street when I noticed that the temperature on the F4 had reached 220F at the stop light. Sure enough - the F4 just died. So I tried to re-start the bike and nothing. She would crank but would not start.

My buddy pulled to the side and helped me push the F4 to the side of the road. As usual - she dripped some coolant and stopped. About 5 minutes after, I checked the temp and it was at 190F. I again tried to start her and she started but died in 2 seconds.

I let her cool down for 30 minutes and attempted to start her. She started right up as if nothing had happened. Again - going through mid-town traffic I hit 209F and she started to sputter and again died at a stop light.

I waited until 6 PM when the weather started to cool off and rode straight back home. As soon as I hit my driveway - she gain hit 209F and died.

I have not checked anything yet as it has been a long day but will do so tomorrow. This is the 1st time I have experienced this sort of an issue on the F4 and curious if anyone else has come across this issue and what's the root cause?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
220 deg F is only 104 deg C. It sounds too low for the bike too activate its saftey mechanism which shuts the bike down after 122 deg C or there abouts.

Start by checking the 40 amp fuse under the left hand side fairing. Maybe its beginning to burn out snd thrn check all other fuses.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start by checking the 40 amp fuse under the left hand side fairing. Maybe its beginning to burn out snd thrn check all other fuses.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Thank you for the response. I checked the fuses and all looked good. Looked at oil/coolant/vents/etc. and nothing. I also checked my Microtec wiring and all is well.

I am stumped and will again go for a ride next Sat and see if I can reproduce the issue.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I once ride my f4 in summer when both my fan stop working due to the heat that then fried my fan wire (exposed then guessing a short circuit happened). My bike heat up to 140°C on a stop light then it goes to --- it is when it start bursting all the coolant. So I'm guessing the highest temperature f4 can read is 140°C but even that my bike still running.
So my opinion, it could be something to do with ur wire and heat. Not that the engine couldnt handle the heat.

cheers,
FOIB

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
As usual - she dripped some coolant ..........

That's not usual as such and suggests that you have air in your cooling system. I'd purge the air for starters and improve your cooling efficiency...

Check that the dripping coolant isn't making it's way into your side stand switch......

CPS wires where they emerge on the left of the bike ( F4 Cover ) are prone to damage and can cause your symptoms..

good luck : )

joe

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As usual - she dripped some coolant ..........

That's not usual as such and suggests that you have air in your cooling system. I'd purge the air for starters and improve your cooling efficiency...

Check that the dripping coolant isn't making it's way into your side stand switch......

CPS wires where they emerge on the left of the bike ( F4 Cover ) are prone to damage and can cause your symptoms..

good luck : )

joe
Thank you Joe. I will also check that as well.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
Dr. Duc;
are the fans running when it dies?
fan wires shorting to ground? thats about the temp when most stock F4s fans come on

just a thought

·
Premium Member
2,886 Posts
An excellent observation. Don't know much about Microtec but could you set the fans to come on at a lower temp to narrow it down?

Dr. Duc;
fan wires shorting to ground? thats about the temp when most stock F4s fans come on

just a thought

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dr. Duc;

just a thought
As a matter of fact the fans were not on when she died. However - once I got home and turned the key to acc but not off - the fans did come on. I will double check again this weekend. Thanks Noel.

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
You have two thermostats on the bike. One sends a signal to the ecu, the other to the dash. If the thermostat sending the signal to the ecu is faulty and the ecu thinks the bike is hotter than it really is, it will shut off. Try swapping thermostats and see what happens.

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
You have two thermostats on the bike. One sends a signal to the ecu, the other to the dash. If the thermostat sending the signal to the ecu is faulty and the ecu thinks the bike is hotter than it really is, it will shut off. Try swapping thermostats and see what happens.
just switch the wires:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok! so I checked and did -

All the wires and grounding - :yo:
All the fuses - :yo:
Flushed the coolant with Blue Ice - :yo:
Changed the oil to Mobile 1 full Synth - :yo:

Started the bike with no problems and went for a ride. Temp was hitting 220-230 midtown riding and fan on. Came to a stop light and voila - she dies. :loser:

Waited at the side of the street with temp at 87F for 20 minutes - good news - no leaks or over fill so I finally got rid of the dreaded air bubble in the coolant system - Thx Joe.

Attempted to start the bike and she started right-up reading 187F and I came back home.

Checked all the wires once more as well as plugs to make sure nothing was loose. As I started to look under the belly, I noticed the center bolt holding the side stand to be missing since its hidden by the sensor and the two sides bolts to be loose. I tightened the two loose bolts as well as numerous other bolts around the side stand area including the oil plug area.

Will replace the missing bolt tomorrow and take her out for a spin again and see the looseness of the side stand was causing the bike to die as I have looked at all other suggestions.

Will post results tomorrow.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Carl - where are the two thermostats located. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

·
Registered
14,501 Posts
where?

they are temp sensors not thermostats...

left side of the motor above #1 exhaust
left upper radiator tank

just switch the plugs

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I have had some terrible problems with my F4 overheating. It would often overheat in similar conditions as yours, however the temperature would be 238F. The bike would shut off and wouldn't start again, for some reason it also drained the battery.
I am surprised it shut off at 220F. Maybe the thermostat is wrong and your bike is actually hotter than you think it is?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts