MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my whole life, and in more than one Country, I have never heard anybody call, or write about a steering or suspension "Dampener".
I've always heard them being called "Steering or Shock Dampers".
Someone please help me, is this just some journo who started a landslide typo, or bad translation from Chinese to English ?

·
Registered
947 Posts
damp·er
ˈdampər/Submit
noun
noun: damper; plural noun: dampers
a person or thing that has a depressing, subduing, or inhibiting effect.
"another damper on reactor development was the problem of safeguards"
synonyms: curb, check, restraint, restriction, limit, limitation, constraint, rein, brake, control, impediment; More
MUSIC
a pad that silences a piano string except when removed by means of a pedal or by the note being struck.
a device for reducing mechanical vibration, in particular a shock absorber on a motor vehicle.
a conductor used to reduce hunting in an electric motor or generator.
a movable metal plate in a flue or chimney, used to regulate the draft and so control the rate of combustion.

·
Registered
947 Posts
dampen Translate Button
[dam-puh n]
verb (used with object)
to make damp; moisten:
to dampen a sponge.
to dull or deaden; depress:
to dampen one's spirits.

·
Registered
837 Posts
It is yet another "Americanisation" or "Bastardisation" of the Queen's English by a bunch of colonial rednecks who were obviously brought up with phonetic spelling .....

·
Registered
14,404 Posts
?

It is yet another "Americanisation" or "Bastardisation" of the Queens English by a bunch of colonial rednecks who were obviosuly brought up with phonetic spelling .....
Malcolm;

you may wish to put an apostrophe after the "n" or the "s" in Queens......your choice :naughty::naughty:

Queens is a Borough in New York City :naughty:

I hear there are a lot of queens in England:jsm:

and "obviosuly" needs a check too:)

check your history books we 'rednecks' kicked your Red Coat's asses......yes, the most vaunted Army in the World, got their asses kicked by a bunch of farmers :drummer:

and by a bunch of Zulus armed with spears......Battle of Isandlwana

and remember Battle of Singapore?...... Lt. General Percival surrendered 136,000 British troops to General Yamashita's 85,000 troops on bicycles

if it wasn't for American and Canadian farmers, Henry Kaiser and American industrial production......

You'd be speaking GERMAN

have a cup of tea.....

Jack Northrop offered my Father the job of running fighter maintenance for all of England in WWll...... his comment

"Jack, my Father, who you never met, was an English Master Tool and Die maker.....my Mother is Welch......they both left when the could buy passage......No thanks, I'd have to break too many tea pots to get anything done.....":naughty::naughty::naughty:

my Father stayed here and was head Design Producibility Engineer at NAA from the P-51 to the X-15

red necks are in the South......its from the color of the soil:)

·
Registered
837 Posts
Dunno what you mean old bean .... :naughty: :blush:

perhaps I should also have used this emogee :stickpoke but it's awkward on a phone :)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
haha - I have often wondered why people say 'you would be speaking German if........'
why is that??
because the Germans lost the war and they arent speaking English?!?!?:banghead:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Yes, either way might be correct in the dictionary, but is it correct in "bike" talk ?
It's a common mistake to call a device that damps energy a "dampener" but a dampener on your suspension would be a wet rag tied to it to keep it moist.

There are methods and devices to damp the kinetic energy of that system. A damper reduces energy in a moving or dynamic scenario. When in use they are damping the energy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping#Errors_in_popular_usage

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
haha - I have often wondered why people say 'you would be speaking German if........'
why is that??
because the Germans lost the war and they arent speaking English?!?!?:banghead:
A simple "thank you" is all that is needed.

Also, we didn't force them to speak English, but if we hadn't stepped in, there's a strong chance that you lot would have been forced to learn German. Can't ever say for sure since, you know, we won.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
A simple "thank you" is all that is needed.

Also, we didn't force them to speak English, but if we hadn't stepped in, there's a strong chance that you lot would have been forced to learn German. Can't ever say for sure since, you know, we won.

Not only that... we would have been forced to drive a VW beatle...

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Haha! Hey, I liked my Beetle!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts