MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chain longevity.

So, in general terms if a non O ring chain is kept well lubricated, say with a Scottoiler, will the chain have as long a life as an O ring chain.
I have often thought it would as an O ring chain whilst keeping muck out of the rollers also prevents fresh lubricant from getting in.

A non O ring chain is lighter and some say it has less of a power drain than O ring... :f4:

But then, what do I know about chain ;)

joe

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Que Noel.....

Try to buy a decent one Joe, and then try to get rivet links for it these days.

Thanks Donsy,

I have a nice O ring chain fitted with rivet links on my Project F4. I'm just thinking of the general principle as applied to out modern F4s and in this case more focused on my next Laverda 1200 build..which uses a 630 chain : )

joe

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Chain longevity.

So, in general terms if a non O ring chain is kept well lubricated, say with a Scottoiler, will the chain have as long a life as an O ring chain.
I have often thought it would as an O ring chain whilst keeping muck out of the rollers also prevents fresh lubricant from getting in.

A non O ring chain is lighter and some say it has less of a power drain than O ring... :f4:

But then, what do I know about chain ;)

joe
Joe,
chains without O-ring or X-ring less resistant with mean little fast take off than O or X ring chain when you ride it, more noise from the chains, and chains without O or X ring need to lubricate everytime you ride
hope it help

·
Registered
9,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe,
chains without O-ring or X-ring less resistant with mean little fast take off than O or X ring chain when you ride it, more noise from the chains, and chains without O or X ring need to lubricate everytime you ride
hope it help
Thank you Phil. I do in fact lube the chain after a ride as it is at it's hottest then and the oil runs in deeper.

Some of my bikes have a " Scottoiler " type drip dispenser fitted to the bike.

The argument for non Oring is that once the lube in an O ring chain is gone, well it's gone and the chain is screwed.

Are we victims of the marketing men telling us we need O ring , X ring,

What is used out on the track ? What is used in Endurance events ?

joe

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
And sticky chain lube on O / X - Ring chains is utter manufacturers lobbies bullshit wich is messing up Your bike, destroys sprockets and chains.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Thank you Phil. I do in fact lube the chain after a ride as it is at it's hottest then and the oil runs in deeper.

Some of my bikes have a " Scottoiler " type drip dispenser fitted to the bike.

The argument for non Oring is that once the lube in an O ring chain is gone, well it's gone and the chain is screwed.

Are we victims of the marketing men telling us we need O ring , X ring,

What is used out on the track ? What is used in Endurance events ?

joe
Once Your sticky mess would enter the rollers grease package, is the O-Ring already destroyed and with it Your chain.
Race teams don't need to cover ten thousands of miles on a chain.

·
Registered
248 Posts
How long would you expect a cain and spockets to last?
My bike has travelled ~25,000km on the original chain and sprockets and they still look and feel perfectly fine...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts