MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the headers on my F4 1k will glow if i hold the throttle at 2k rpm for a few minutes.

i'll try to get a photo if i can.

never noticed this on my other bikes.

alex

·
Registered
735 Posts
well now i gotta try it on mine, then hold a rave to show it off :smoking:

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, it was stationary. and in the garage. it's not that loud at 2k rpm.

>5k is LOUD, and i have the stock exhaust. call me old.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Something like this????

Attachments

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, that bike has ti - which glows that really cool color depending on the alloy. the oem headers have a cherry red glow.

when i noticed it, all 4 headers where doing it, right at the first bend out of the head - interesting if you think about fluid flow of hot gasses (something to play with in a CFD model?). the inside two cylinders (2/3) where glowing more than the outside two.

as soon as the fans came on, the #3 & #4 cylinder headers stopped glowing

my guess is that in that photo, which may have been after a dyno run (you can see the dyno frame at the bottom of the photo), there was enough air movement past the outside of the bike to keep the #1 cylinder cool and prevent the outside from glowing. #3 & #4 were cooled from the fan on the bike. so only #2 got hot enough to glow.

secondary cooling fans are used during dyno runs to keep air moving across the radiator.

alex

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
That is an awesome picture. i always wanted to try and get the tips of the stock pipes to glow like the advertisement MV puts out for the F4, but can't really try cause i switched out the pipes. Now i am going to have to go home and try to get my headers to glow :koolaid:

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
cryptyk said:
Anyone know why it's just the one?

altoon said:
well, that bike has ti - which glows that really cool color depending on the alloy. the oem headers have a cherry red glow.

when i noticed it, all 4 headers where doing it, right at the first bend out of the head - interesting if you think about fluid flow of hot gasses (something to play with in a CFD model?). the inside two cylinders (2/3) where glowing more than the outside two.

as soon as the fans came on, the #3 & #4 cylinder headers stopped glowing

my guess is that in that photo, which may have been after a dyno run (you can see the dyno frame at the bottom of the photo), there was enough air movement past the outside of the bike to keep the #1 cylinder cool and prevent the outside from glowing. #3 & #4 were cooled from the fan on the bike. so only #2 got hot enough to glow.

secondary cooling fans are used during dyno runs to keep air moving across the radiator.

alex
The picture is taken when riding in on the Dyno. Headers 2 and 3 three were glowing. I even have it on film and is really cool. Form what I know the inside cylinders always get hotter than the outside; that's why the picture is like that. This picture here below was taken when the wheel was spinning at full speed ;)

BTW: I don't think its good for the engine rev your bike when standing still just to see the headers glow.

Attachments

·
Living the Dream
2,755 Posts
That is one hell of a camera to catch it that fast! Looks like brand new rubber to go along with that brand new map you have.

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
Greeneggs&ham said:
That is one hell of a camera to catch it that fast! Looks like brand new rubber to go along with that brand new map you have.
The first time I looked at the picture I didn't understand what was wrong with me because I was sure I took the picture when the wheel was going very fast :eek:

The bike had 0 km before we rod it in on the dyno. So everything was totally new. What do you mean with the map??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts