MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went away yesterday on my F4-750 to visit friends. When I came to start the bike this morning there was no response from the starter. (All other electronic functions appeared fine.) I checked the fuses in the main box on the right-hand side and they were all ok. So then I start worrying it might be the immobiliser. But we managed to bump-start it first time. I rode home without stopping, and then stopped the engine and tried the starter and it worked.

What else could it be? A stuck relay/solenoid maybe? Any ideas on where I should look? I hate intermittent problems, they really cause me to loose faith in a bike. I hope to god I manage to solve this as otherwise I shall probably decide I can't live with not knowing I'll be able to get home again every time I go for a ride.

(BTW, the fuel pump was priming, and the side-stand and neutral indicators were functionng correctly so I guess it's not the old in neutral but thinks it's in gear problem.)

Si

·
Registered
383 Posts
When was the last time the battery was changed? It seems all of my starting/not starting problems have to do with bad or not charged batteries. I've read that sometimes the battery will show you that it is fully charged even though it isn't if it is starting to go bad so even a battery tender will not help. I had to use a trickle charger without a float to fully "charge" the battery and then hooked up the battery tender.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only had the bike a month, but it'd only done 1100 miles in the six years since new so I guess the battery is possibly original.

It doesn't sound like a charge issue though as when it starts it starts first time without sounding laboured. When it wouldn't I didn't even hear a relay click or anything.

Si

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Do some searches, this has happened to a few others including me...for many it has been the side atand thing but for me it was happeneing only when then bike was warm but the symptoms were as you describe and it was the starter relay not contacting properly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts