MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A protracted discussion regarding the merits of actually riding a limited edition MV is currently underway in the for sale section.

To attempt to move this very interesting discussion to an independent thread I'll start one here and that will allow an open discussion without bumping the "For Sale" thread.

I wish the seller of the bike (an AGO with just 40 miles on it) all the best with their sale.

So, lets discuss a subject that's been covered before but some newer members may not have had their opportunity to add their input.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Great move Dave! So as an answer: yes! Not riding a bike is no option for me!

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Erik.
Alas I was a few minutes too late - I see that the for sale thread has been locked.
Maybe now that we have this thread up and running it could be unlocked as the seller was, in my opinion, not complicit with the discussion that evolved in their for sale thread.

Ciao,
Dave.

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
I guess it would depend on the number of bikes I had. If I was already riding a CC,Tambo, Veltro, and had a couple F4's. I could see getting the Ago or Senna just for art. I say this since the engines on these is standard to the basic bike. If I got the CC or Veltro. I would have to ride it to see the difference.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
Yes, you are right Dave! So of we keep the nice discussion here it could be opened again.

And indeed Andrew, but I don't expect to be in that position at any time. That is why I have to ride my bikes :) and I feel already very fortunate to have 3 ;)

·
Registered
654 Posts
I wouldn't buy a bike to be just an ornament or investment project. A bike needs to be ridden to be truly appreciated, that's when we feel alive!!

Dave.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Maybe if it had zero miles I could see people not using it . But I don't think I could resist the temptation! .
40 miles? might as well be 400 or 4000 use it is the only answer for me .

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
I can see keeping it for art and history. There is a picture in the Show Your Garage thread somewhere near the 50th page of a fellow that had built a picture window display case into a wall, with a turntable that he could ride his MV onto and rotate it into the display case. I could see putting a pristine AGO in that and riding it VERY little, maybe a mile or two a month to keep it happy. But only if I had other MV's to ride and I had enough money to really keep a motorcycle on display like a piece of art. I do plan to attempt to replicate the Motorcycle display case behind my desk. It shares a wall with the back end of the garage and there is plenty of space :naughty:

ps
Please do unlock the other thread, Erik and I shouldn't have started, and I would hate for the seller to suffer due to my immaturity

·
Super Moderator
7,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have it on good authority that MV Agusta LOOOOOOOVE to see their limited Edition bikes ridden & shared.

Regarding Andrew’s comment above – I think I can add to that.

I believe a good metaphor for the extensive range of MVs out there is to compare them to a selection of fine wines from a single vineyard.
That same metaphor also applies to the investment in an expensive bottle of wine and never removing the cork.
Some are going to pass it on without ever having tasted it. Some are going to want to get drunk on the thrill of removing the cork and experiencing the wine.
Personally I want to taste the wine.

·
Premium Member
5,643 Posts
ps
Please do unlock the other thread, Erik and I shouldn't have started, and I would hate for the seller to suffer due to my immaturity
Indeed. For the seller! I will remove my posts.

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Good post Dave

I have it on good authority that MV Agusta LOOOOOOOVE to see their limited Edition bikes ridden & shared.

Regarding Andrew’s comment above – I think I can add to that.

I believe a good metaphor for the extensive range of MVs out there is to compare them to a selection of fine wines from a single vineyard.
That same metaphor also applies to the investment in an expensive bottle of wine and never removing the cork.
Some are going to pass it on without ever having tasted it. Some are going to want to get drunk on the thrill of removing the cork and experiencing the wine.
Personally I want to taste the wine.
All too true, but occasionally some art like this deserves to be framed and displayed...

I want this behind my desk, and that AGO would look AMAZING in it.:jsm:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Would be interesting to add a poll to this thread. Would you ride it? yes or no, noting in between.
It would be reflection of the wide range of people who frequent this forum.

Personally, I could not resist the urge to ride it. I am a biker, and the bit that stirs my soul is a combination of the senses and history and 'uniqueness' (yes I know that's not a word, but it's as close as I could get!) that you can only get when riding.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Well Dave, as you know we ride our Limited MVs here, but we also have several pieces of Art safely stashed away (which were purchased far later than production date)....so for me I must ride, but we have the luxury of Art as well in duplicate.

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
No closet here,It was built to be ridden.Sure i will just keep this on my shelve and when i am 80 i will probably drop dead and my kids would just sell it anyway.Ride it for what it was built for.

cheers eddy
PS: that answers my vote.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Had Ago: sold with 8K miles.
Had Tamburini: sold with 15K miles.

I see young & old people die everyday. They only take memories with them.

RIDE THEM IS MY VOTE. But, to each is own...

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,647 Posts
the discussion was originally about an Ago which is a nice bike and rare since there were only 300 built. While rare it is still basically a 2005 F4 with a few cosmetic changes. Even though not as rare, the Senna has more to offer and is a better looking bike. I would not buy either to just look at. They both were built to ride and neither will ever be an investment. If you can retrieve the original MSRP you will be fortunate.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Interestingly, lot of replies here are from non-owners of the LE bikes. Also interesting it is fact that owners either seem to have the bikes as display with no mileage or they ride them as they would a 'normal' bike, no pansy riders here obviously. Plus there are very generous owners who allow certain others to ride their MV masterpiece, Dave comes instantly to mind here. I had the pleasure of 500km of MV LEs thanks to Dave.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
its not a virgin........fuck it

Its just an Ago with 40mi on it so its a used bike.....BFD

I traded for a 28Ga Darne/Bruchet shotgun serial #001 unfired

guess what....... its my dove/quail and 27yd trap gun

what am going to do wear it out?????

a few years ago I went to the State Trap Shoot and was shooting pot....you know playing with nitroglycerin for money.....:naughty::naughty:

and the guy next to me looks at my gun and says "Holy fuck you're shooting a 7E Ithaca here in a pot shoot"

there are 5-6 colors of gold on it.......

"It was made on December 12th 1918 and probably has 2,500,000 rounds through it, when every gun you have has gone to scrap this old POS will still be grinding up targets.......it has 3/8" of Krupp Armory Steel around the chamber and you have what????"

ride the POS

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
Interestingly, lot of replies here are from non-owners of the LE bikes. Also interesting it is fact that owners either seem to have the bikes as display with no mileage or they ride them as they would a 'normal' bike, no pansy riders here obviously. Plus there are very generous owners who allow certain others to ride their MV masterpiece, Dave comes instantly to mind here. I had the pleasure of 500km of MV LEs thanks to Dave.
Agree. Dave gave me the keys to his CC and told me I had to drive it. Or maybe that was just because he wanted to ride my MV:naughty:

1 - 20 of 74 Posts