MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. What have you guys done about the seat? It feels like I'm sitting on the edge of a piece of plywood.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Don't take this as a personal attack....seriously, this is just my opinion, and not an attack on anybody....

But anybody who buys a race bike, and complains about the seat, needs to buy another bike. It's like the people who buy the 06 R6, this years most focused street legal track tool, and Yamaha even markets it as a trackbike with lights....people complained about the seat or sitting position. WTF??? Or people that buy RC51s....and complain about the same things.....

What's worse is, people who buy sports cars, and complain the racing seats aren't comfy.... :bash:

If you wanted comfort, you shoulda got something less focused...like a Tuono, Brutale, or of the sort....

In short, don't buy a track bike, and complain it's headlights suck... :laughing:

That all said....if ANYBODY makes one...I'de think the usual suspects do, Corbin or Sargent....but I don't think they do....

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just keep riding, the seat will mold your butt and you'll get use to it. I thought my hands were going to rattle off the first few weeks from the vibration as well, my right thumb was numb for days on end (and I wasn't gripping the bars too tight, I know better)

Well, my hands and rear are both A-OK now and I'm loving life. If you ride enough, you'll actually grow to like the damn thing, as it really helps you feel what's happening to and with the back wheel.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear ya, oicdn, but this is bad...
My last bike was an R6, ans the seat wasn't comfy...I'm ok with that. At the end of my 60 mile ride today on the MV, I couldn't stay in the seat, literally. My ass was too sore.

It's almost like there is a stiff ridge around the border of the seat that is higher than the squishy middle part. Like sitting on a bucket. Maybe it's just my seat, or maybe (as the previous poster said) I just need to break it in. This is only my second day and 80th mile on the bike.

Great bike though. I'm going to post pics and impressions in another thread.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Fast By Ferracci makes a Comfort Gel seat for the F4S (part# F12820) for $269. The previous owner of the F4S I picked up had it installed on his bike, and he's told me (I have yet to take delivery of the bike to say anything myself) that its one of those must do mods if you plan on being on the F4S for any long period of time. He swears its the best $300 he's spent on the F4S...

FYI: The seat on my 999 is nothing more than a piece of cardboard wrapped in pleather, but as oicd stated I didn't buy the bike for the comfort aspect. In fact its probably the most uncomfortable bike I have ever owned, but what it lacks in comfort it makes up for in race proven performance!

Sometimes you just gotta tailer yourself to the bike, rather than tailer the bike to you.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
cryptyk said:
Wow. What have you guys done about the seat? It feels like I'm sitting on the edge of a piece of plywood.
Nothing, I'm hardly in my seat, I'm either hanging off one side or the other :naughty:
The seat is designed to move around on, not get comfy in....

It's not as bad as a 996,748 seat !!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Velocemoto said:
Nothing, I'm hardly in my seat, I'm either hanging off one side or the other :naughty:
The seat is designed to move around on, not get comfy in....

It's not as bad as a 996,748 seat !!!
Nah my 916 is pure comfort ... :stickpoke

My award for worst seat goes to :drummer: 851/888 and 1992 900SL

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Just some other ideas:

perhaps adjusting rearset/footpegs postion will help soften the contact points between the legs or butt & the edge of the cushion?

how is the suspension setting?

Also, is your butt rooted in the seat when you are riding? as a road cyclist, I am used to not sit in the seat all the time with all my weight on it, if the road gets bumpy, brace it with your legs so you are more evenly distributing the weight into different points of the body that are in contact with the bike, i.e. the hands, feet, butt, legs... I often "get out of the saddle" if I see rough surface coming up, just like when I am riding my road bike.

and spend the $300 and get the gel seat if it helps. :)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
oicdn said:
...But anybody who buys a race bike, and complains about the seat, needs to buy another bike...
I´m completely with you. If I buy a sportsbike, it should be clear, that it´s not too comfy.

But as odonata said: Adjust the suspension propper, and you will get a new bike. :)

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
oicdn said:
But anybody who buys a race bike, and complains about the seat, needs to buy another bike.
I don't agree entirely with this. True a sports bike is about performance not comfort but this is not so much a complaint about the seat comfort in regards to cushioning as a whole (I have no interest in getting a gel seat) or rider position but rather just the way the edge of the seat is finished at a hard right angle. If this was rounded ever so slightly I doubt this this would be a problem to anyone.

While it is a sportsbike which you should have fun climbing over you still have to get to the hills and back...and lets not forget the sections of hills where you don't really need to move around on the seat that much.

I wonder if factory SBK or GP bikes have seat edges finished this way?

It's not so bad that I can't live with it but with that said it could be better and if I for some reason remove the seat lining I may just plane a little off those edges.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Rockethouse said:
I don't agree entirely with this. True a sports bike is about performance not comfort but this is not so much a complaint about the seat comfort in regards to cushioning as a whole (I have no interest in getting a gel seat) or rider position but rather just the way the edge of the seat is finished at a hard right angle. If this was rounded ever so slightly I doubt this this would be a problem to anyone.

While it is a sportsbike which you should have fun climbing over you still have to get to the hills and back...and lets not forget the sections of hills where you don't really need to move around on the seat that much.

It's not so bad that I can't live with it but with that said it could be better and if I for some reason remove the seat lining I may just plane a little off those edges.
Your right, why have a seat that you can only do 50 miles on, when with some thought (and padding) you can have a seat that you can do 200miles on?
I found with mine that I was sitting right on the two edges and the centre of my arse was in mid air! instead of planeing the edge off you can do it the other way, take the cover off and also the moulded seat foam, now put some extra foam about 4 inches wide and tapered UNDER the original foam to lift the seat centre up to meet you arse and thus taking the weight off the top of your legs, and because the original foam is still on top the seat also keeps its factory appearance,

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I've sat on my buddy's F4...and compared to the Brutale, it definitly is a bit sharp, but....it definitly wasn't anything I woulda have given any thought to...

It's just one of those things. I was always raised to be at the extremes of the spectrum (mornic considering I have a "comfy" sportbike" :laughing: ) I used to manage a bike shop (bicycles) and I would see these people buy $5000 carbon race bikes sub 17lbs. Then go and put on a gel seat, mirrors, bar risers and tool bags.....it's like WTF??? If you want a god damn hybrid I coulda sold you one...why you wasting all this money and essentially, ruining the opportunity for somebody else to get this bike (limited numbers)? It's like people who want those bikes that are good at everything, but suck at each individual thing....

Pet peave I guess. But I'm definitly one to conform to the bike, rather than mold myself to it...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Cryptyk - Initially thought the same when i first got my SPR. After the first decent fang through the hills over some occasionally rough roads I thought I'd just forked out a bucketload of cash to save having to pay for a good spanking at the local red light district!! :naughty:

Saying that, I've since become used to the seat and don't feel any discomfort anymore when riding. Give it a chance and you'll get used to the position. It also helps encourage you to hang off the sides a bit more :laughing:

Did approx 300km on it yesterday and my butt didn't even notice it.

·
MV Cellist
4,595 Posts
Rockethouse said:

I totally agree that in order to be fast, you have be relatively "comfortable" on the machine, anything that's going to bother you is just going to take your focus away.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Hard Sharp seat Edges!?!

I'd have to agree with what was stated earlier by "odonata" and Troz you have to give it sometime, but in the mean while should work on "tunning the bike to meet your needs better. Use the adjustments available to you in suspension, sets, clip-ons to customize the bike to fit your body frame, type, size, weight, etc and more importantly your riding style. These adjustments, with which you should become accustomed to anyway, will definitely help your riding experience more than any gel seat will. :guitarist
Paul K.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts