MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I don't usually air my dirty laundry on discussion boards, but was curious what pathes others have taken if/when they hit the "wall" at their current position or career.

In the spirit of sharing, here's my situation. I'm 36, and do online marketing for a large portal that's reinventing itself. Been with the company three years. The issue I'm facing is that I work for a boss who's completely borderline obsessive compulsive and who's exacting standards can never be met. Case in point: at a staff meeting, she told us that she feels that none of us are as productive as we need to be. Very motivational. She's an UBER type A personality and has absolutely no hobbies or outside interests besides work...which means that she's always at work pumping out projects. OK, obvious answer is find a new job and I'm in the process of that...

But I've been thinking about going my own route, too. Getting a little tired of running into the same type of person and working for a company that places little value on ideas and creates obstacles on a daily basis. How many of you hit the wall and said the hell with it and went off on your own? Or did you simply reshape your destiny by finding a workplace that valued your contributions?

·
Registered
13,695 Posts
After 18 productive and rewarding years in financial services, at the tender age of 44, I quit and became a cop. I make about $50,000 less per year than I did when I quit.

Best thing I ever did.

If you make doing what you love your job, it won't feel much like a job.

Be sure to have plenty of interests outside of work also.

CAG

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
I'm an accountant (a CPA) and a computer scientist - or at least I was in previous lives. I decided that the life of management and finances and everything that goes along with it just wasn't for me. The clincher came when I asked myself - "Do I want to do this until I retire, or would I rather take a few years of change and finish my working career doing something I love?" As soon as I asked that, I knew the answer.

I'm now a psychologist, which is something that I love. I can't imagine ever retiring from it. I'd always encourage everyone to follow their heart and find happiness. No-one else is going to do it for you, and if you wait for something to happen first, it may never come.

A

·
0 Posts
ahhhhh sventekoz, could you please elavorate on that, becomming a psychologist. Did you undergo a new 4 year degree (as required in melb) after being an accountant. Im curious to know do you have a family, etc how did you go from one huge qualification (cpa) to going back to school. Could you pleae expalin in aBIT MORE DEATIL, I ASK cos im in the midst of heavy thinking of a new career, and was wondering how people who have families emabark on a new career parth, and those who have a mortgage too, it seems all too hard to me

A

·
0 Posts
actually this is an awesome post please everyone repsond to this if they can, you;ll be helping me out too.
burgesscb hope you dont mind ive been seriously wondering what plan b could be work wise too

anyone from advertising adland out there, please tell me what you went on to do after adworld.

but please answer burgesscb too most importantly

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
People like that are ruining the modern workplace and are a detriment to the companies they work for, rather than an asset. Good, hard working, knowledgable people just don't stay when forced to work for people with unreasonable expectations, and the business suffers. Sadly, that doesn't seem to matter anymore.

Si

·
King of the Sink
1,571 Posts
anothermvfanatic said:
ahhhhh sventekoz, could you please elavorate on that, becomming a psychologist. Did you undergo a new 4 year degree (as required in melb) after being an accountant. Im curious to know do you have a family, etc how did you go from one huge qualification (cpa) to going back to school. Could you pleae expalin in aBIT MORE DEATIL, I ASK cos im in the midst of heavy thinking of a new career, and was wondering how people who have families emabark on a new career parth, and those who have a mortgage too, it seems all too hard to me
Well, all in all it's been death by degrees for me. I have a BCom (which ultimately gave me the CPA, a GradDipComp, a BA(Psych), and I've finished the Masters component of a combined Masters/PhD in clinical psychology. Actually becoming a psych is a bit of a long road. You need a 4-year undergrad degree, and now at least 2 years of postgrad - usually a Masters - which includes some internships. Then you can embark on 2 years of supervised clinical practice before you emerge like a phoenix from the ashes of all your exams and internships.

Yes, I have a family (wife + 3) - and I regularly updated my photographs so they didn't forget what I looked like! :) I've worked full time through all of this - so it can definitely be done. I think the trick is to find something that you're passionate about, so that it doesn't seem like hard work. You can sort of include it in your life, and enjoy the transition. That made going from getting the other quals and going back to school pretty easy. I haven't regretted a minute of it.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
CAG said:
After 18 productive and rewarding years in financial services, at the tender age of 44, I quit and became a cop. I make about $50,000 less per year than I did when I quit.

Best thing I ever did.

If you make doing what you love your job, it won't feel much like a job.

Be sure to have plenty of interests outside of work also.

CAG

cool. good to know there is a way out. I'm only up to 8 years in financial services..... sorta productive, mildly rewarding..... oh well. really a computer geek in financial services. i hope it gets better than this.....

can't see myself going back to school or anything though. sadly, this may be it. Can't deal with no income anymore I don't think.

shoganai.
(c'est la vie)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hi folks,

I resisted the urge to contribute to this thread because I find it hard to accept that any of you fella's could benifit from anything I might be able to offer. Now that I'm over that hump lets get to it shall we?

Burggesscb, your boss with the limited vision is doing things correctly, but she is in the wrong decade. Your boss has no vision, does everything by the book, and she is getting about 10% out of all her employeees. Even 10% out of you, unfortunately but dont worry, shes also getting the same miserable 10% out of herself as well. She is now the old guard... She is running your company incorrectly given the year we are in, and if she/it continues the company will soon get eclipsed by a new company that is running itself in more modern ways.

There is a new business model, and it is affecting everyone. I dont have the ability to explain it all here because I have so many opinions about it that I might just flood MV.net with so much content that it might shut down!

Burggescb, Your boss is a dinasaur. She is outdated, the way she does bussiness is outdated. The whole "keep 'em scared" and "always make them know they can be replaced" management style is bullshit and its days are numbered.

I read a lot, and I'm sure my love of the printed word is shared by quite a few of you on this board. I'm always leary of lofty claims about certain books, "it will change your life" is my personal favorate. I hate those claims so it is with my dislike for exagerated praise that I'm now giving you some homework.

If any of you feel that your in Burgesscb's shoes I want you to read a new book. Its called "Mavericks At Work" written by William C. Taylor & Polly G. Labarre... The two authours scoured the globe to find and dissect the new ways that companys are doing bussiness, problably a dozen or more wildly successfull operations that refuse all known methods of running their companys. These companys have implemented ways to filter out people like Burggesscb's boss, she would'nt last 10 minutes in any of these operations- like I said, she is outdated.

READ THIS BOOK! I just checked Amazon and they have a ton of them in stock, its a new book, just came out in 06 {I think} but if anybody has a problem getting this book let me know. You can PM me and I'll send you a copy. I dont care if I have to buy 20 of these books for you folks, it'll be worth it to me. I'm sorry about the shameless plug, but I am offering to buy any of you this book and then send it to you and pay the postage myself. So then, is it really a shameless plug?

The bussiness world is changing, you may either follow the herd as it changes or you can be one of the people responsible for the change. Your choice.

Ive got to go, I'm working on my new project. Its my own thing, it'll be of interest to you all, it involves motorcycles and I'll be my own boss. ....And yes, I wouldnt be so near to an announcement if it was'nt for this book.

Good luck everyone, its 2007-the tired old ways simply will not work anymore.

Hedges,

FBD

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is exactly why I posted despite my initial hesitation to do so. I figured there would be similar situations to mine out there. Actually, one of the things that is motivating me is a book that mgmt here handed out called Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham. I'm also very skeptical of all the self evaluation books out there, but this one was interesting. In it he focuses on an individual's core strengths rather than trying to "fix" a person's weaknesses. In Gallup studies, less than 20% of workers would say that they use their strengths at their jobs on a regular basis.

AnotherMVFanatic - No worries, I don't feel like you hijacked my post at all. This is an open forum to hear other's experiences.

FireBreathing - Thanks for the feedback. Glad you found the spark to do what you love. My boss is certainly a terrible mgr, but she's actually young and I think that may have a lot to do with her mgmt style (and I use that term loosely).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Burgesscb,

I dont care if your boss cant leagaly get a shot of vodka, she is still "the old gaurd", her interpersonel skills are outdated-your company is outdated. I know what your thinking, your thinking "what a huge set of balls this FBD must have on him to tell me about my company" I implore you to get the book Burgesscb, its not AT ALL a self help book. It is a book that shows by example how bussines pylosify's{spelling?} must change or they will die.

Good luck and happy reading....

FBD

P.S. My offer still stands, if you dont get the book, PM me and I'll send it to you...

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
burgesscb said:
Actually, one of the things that is motivating me is a book that mgmt here handed out called Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham. I'm also very skeptical of all the self evaluation books out there, but this one was interesting. In it he focuses on an individual's core strengths rather than trying to "fix" a person's weaknesses. In Gallup studies, less than 20% of workers would say that they use their strengths at their jobs on a regular basis.
I hate these f'ing mgmnt books, I get flooded with them. That being said, I liked this one, but I read it after his previous book, "First, Break All of the Rules". Same idea as what ol' FBD is talking about, it is a study of what great Managers do differently, "unconventionally" even...You might enjoy the read, but it sounds like your manager would benefit greater...Get her this one for her birthday.

On another note, is she hot? :naughty:

Best wishes, I hope it all works out.

LONG LIVE THE FBD!!! I told you he was still alive!!!

Griff
twoeleven

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
burgesscb said:
She hasn't ever had a boyfriend since I've been working for her. What do you think?

:bawling:
THAT explains everything...Give her my number...I know JUST what she needs!!!

Griff
twoeleven

1 - 14 of 14 Posts