MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am in the process of taking my MV apart (gotta check the valves) and I thought I would have a looksie at the filter... What to my suprise... but a 360/19 BMC air filter, haha. Glad I didn't end up buying one (I almost did too).

So Now I just need the Arrow thunder exhaust and the correct PC3 on my bike and I'm good!

Question... would running a hotter spark plug help with the bike running rich issue? Just curious.

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
Question... would running a hotter spark plug help with the bike running rich issue? Just curious.
No...you do not change fuel mixture by changing spark plug heat range. If you have a properly calibrated fuel air mixture and engine operating at proper temps then you might change spark plug heat range up or down to get proper spark plug performance....not the other way around.

Putting a spark plug with a hotter heat range in can result in pre-ignition or other problems. Colder spark plugs usually result in rapid fouling (a much better failure). Err on the cold side if you don't know exactly what to use.

So, are your plugs black? If so, maybe a hotter plug would be in order. But better to get the mixture set correctly before you start changing plug heat ranges.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not checked my spark plugs yet (will do soon) but I'm assuming they will be black... how could they not be I only get like 25mpg, lol. I would think an inline 4 750 would get better gas mileage than that. I have read all the other posts about bad MPG as well... Just wondering about different solutions to what I think is a problem.

I did read more about spark plugs after posting this and your right too hot is very bad.... if they get too hot they kinda act like glow plugs and all sorts of problems will happen with the end result being a toasted engine, hah.

I am just gonna see what happens with a PC3 and Arrow thunder and go from there :)

Still super happy to have the BMC though :)

·
Administrator
20,064 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but high performance can = bad fuel mileage. You may be surprised to see your plugs look just fine. Low fuel mileage does not necessarily mean "rich" mixture....750's get notoriously low mileage. My 910 averages around 32 mpg and less when I am flogging her.

Get the pipe and PC III and be happy. If she's running good and making big power you will just live with the mileage you get...and happily...plugs will not change gas mileage. That's a fact.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know whats strange about my 750... it gets better gas mileage when I am flogging it... Like a fast paced canyon run where I keep the RPM's around 9 grand or higher most of the time... I get 30mpg or so... but on my daily commute where it gets lugged a little bit more I get the 25.

So I guess the solution is to ride like a hooligan everywhere I go, hahah.

Its almost like the thing is tuned for racing... its pretty fat down low but great up at high RPM's.

And I do think its running rich... my blinker that sits near the exhaust pipe exit is almost totally black! :laughing:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts