MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a `06 910R which I bought new. It has been a fun bike and has 11K miles on it.
This past weekend I was on it and all was well. I pulled to the garage and shut it off with no prob.. A while later when I went to put it away the dash warning lites were on with the key off. They were floating between off& on. I then started it, one of the red lites remained on but it did start. When I turned it off it remained running, I had to kill it with the kill button.. Battery is disconnected now.
any ideas?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just a guess but the key switch. The key should break the circuit, if the dash/engine etc is on and the key is off then the electricity is getting through the switch.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
that would be the SPU. Service Power Unit, a common problem on pre-2006 bikes, 910's and 750's both. Very easy to replace on your own. All it requires is removing the little panel on the right side of the bike and unplugging the old one, then plugging in the new one.

Total time: less than 20 minutes
Total money: around $500 shipped to you

Check with the site sponsors, and MV dealers. I'll take some pics for you this evening if you want them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that would be the SPU. Service Power Unit, a common problem on pre-2006 bikes, 910's and 750's both. Very easy to replace on your own. All it requires is removing the little panel on the right side of the bike and unplugging the old one, then plugging in the new one.

Total time: less than 20 minutes
Total money: around $500 shipped to you

Check with the site sponsors, and MV dealers. I'll take some pics for you this evening if you want them.
thanks. Are there any tests I should do to 100% confirm?
what part of ohio are you in? I~m in cincinnati.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Pull all the fuses one by one. Put a small amount of dilectric grease on each and put them back in. Problem may go away -I had a similar issue with a blinker that would not go off and have had zero issues in over 1 yr.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
a quick check would be to pull the spu out and see if it has any burn marks on the back. this is a sign that it is fried.

The last straw with mine was when the fuel pump wouldn't turn off.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
You can certainly try the approach slammp suggests, why not, if that fixes it it is much cheaper. But I would guess it is the spu in need of replacing.

There is nothing you can try that is 100% sure except replacing it with the new version.

I'm in the Lima area.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
go out to your bike and pull off the ride side panel under the tank, take a picture with your EYES!!!

jk, but really it'll take 5 seconds to find it

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can certainly try the approach slammp suggests, why not, if that fixes it it is much cheaper. But I would guess it is the spu in need of replacing.

There is nothing you can try that is 100% sure except replacing it with the new version.

I'm in the Lima area.
I`ll investigate tonite. thanks again.
Not many great roads in the lima area, if you ever want to cross the river over into northern ky let me know. There are some delightfull roads down there.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I`ll investigate tonite. thanks again.
Not many great roads in the lima area, if you ever want to cross the river over into northern ky let me know. There are some delightfull roads down there.
What're you saying sir :stickpoke, my straight roads aren't good enough for you.:)

·
Registered
819 Posts
go out to your bike and pull off the ride side panel under the tank, take a picture with your EYES!!!

jk, but really it'll take 5 seconds to find it

ugh, its posts like this that make me wonder why i even bother with this site. Happen to have a large box of spares and was seeing if i could possibly be able to help this fella out, and here you go with some cheeky smart ass comment that doesn't help anyone.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I'll get you a pic this evening good sir.

And he's just saying that jokingly, that's why he said jk (just kidding).

·
Premium Member
2,569 Posts
Motorhead, @shoe07 is correct.

For validation, execute a forum thread search on SPU and you'll find a number of threads that outline the symptons and fix for the problem....the sort version is that 07 and prior Brutes have had a systemic issue with an older design SPU. No one I know of has ever had to replace the SPU twice.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
ugh, its posts like this that make me wonder why i even bother with this site. Happen to have a large box of spares and was seeing if i could possibly be able to help this fella out, and here you go with some cheeky smart ass comment that doesn't help anyone.
didn't mean any harm there mate, bunch of pics in this thread if you're still feeling helpful

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=31427

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
There they are, sorry, I forgot to post pics last nite

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
i thought the sides of the tires were there just to show what the middle of the tire once looked like :)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
was the bike wet
i have noticed with mine when i wash it or out in heavey rain it sometimes will do this untill i spray WD40 or some electrical lube in the key hole

1 - 20 of 20 Posts