MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a strange problem.

My bike 2010 990 won't start from the Onboard battery. I'm in Atlanta and it's been VERY cold, so after a month of sitting I wasn't surprised to find that the bike wouldn't start on its own. Especially since the bike is parked in a carport, so is fully exposed to the ridiculous cold we've had. I plugged in a Battery Tender Jr and waited for the light to go green, at which point I tried starting the bike.

Click. Click. Click.

Like there's not enough juice to turn it over. So I pulled up my car, ran some jumpers (with the car engine off, of course) and tried again. GRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrr...the bike fired right up! Clearly, my battery has gone bad, no? I only bought the bike a couple months ago (it started fine when I got it) so the battery could be old, and it's been run flat, AND frozen recently.

So I picked up a new battery, installed it, and had the same problem.

I plugged in the little tender, which had an orange light, so maybe the guys at the shop just hadn't fully charged the battery. It is now the next morning and I'm having the same problem. And, once again, jumping from the car starts the bike right up!

I let the bike get warm and tried starting it again.

Click. Click. Click. One click for each press of the starter button, that is.

For what it's worth, it was 40F this morning, so I don't think it's a lack of CCA due to temperature.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
14,740 Posts
measure the voltage at the battery......then turn the key and push the starter button

post the voltages

there is an electrical trouble shooting guide in the back of the service manual

could be a loose cable + or -

jump the solenoid

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went to measure cranking voltage a few hours ago--and discovered that my Blue Point multimeter has gone missing. So now I've got to go buy a new meter.

But a loose ground (which is a suspicion because of the trouble beginning in the cold) should also interfere with starting via jumper cables, shouldn't it? And then why would it work just fine 6 weeks ago when I parked it, then fail on the next attempt to start?

Tomorrow I'm going to take the battery (it's the YTZ10 equivalent from Batteries Plus, where I get commercial pricing) to my local AutoZone and have it load tested. If the battery checks out okay I suppose I'll be chasing the electrical system to find where it's gotten loose.

·
Registered
14,740 Posts
Hunter;
a car battery has the Amps to jump some bad connections, that a puny bike battery can't........ Chuck dealt with a POS KOYO on Cindy's bike

a load test will tell you

·
Super Moderator
25,163 Posts
Hunter (If I may...),

Yes, a bad ground, or a bad postive will cause difficulty starting and present like a bad battery. Clean all the connections and ensure they are tight. Don't reverse polarity!

Load testing is a good idea....and I like Batteries Plus also as a source.

Chuck

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well,

I checked everything and all the connections looked clean and tight (resisting cracks about my lady friends), so I took the battery in for a load test.

It turns out the new battery was only providing 72 CCA, where the battery it was bought to replace was turning 112.

Batteries Plus pulled out another brick for me and threw it on the tester. Their battery is rated at 185. The new new battery is giving 248! So I brought it home, plugged it in, and the starter now turns with more vigor than even with the car battery!

Oh, and the bike runs--beautifully, I might add.

Now I've got to get a new rear tire. The PO was in Texas, so you can imagine the profile of this poor thing. It makes turning in feel like the the rear is flat.

It's a shame I'm 60 miles from the nearest curvy road, because I've probably got 3500 miles left on the rear if I could just keep it tipped over. :)

·
Registered
14,740 Posts

Now I've got to get a new rear tire. The PO was in Texas, so you can imagine the profile of this poor thing. It makes turning in feel like the the rear is flat.

It's a shame I'm 60 miles from the nearest curvy road, because I've probably got 3500 miles left on the rear if I could just keep it tipped over. :)
you can do it!

:smoking:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.