MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been covered before but I couldn't find on a search.

The left hand mirror glass drops down when hitting large bumps. The right is fine and I can't see how you can get behind the glass to try and tighten it up.

Any ideas on a fix? I like the originals so would prefer to stick with them.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
22,643 Posts
There are some threads on this issue for the newer bikes. Can you post a picture of your mirrors?

I know from experience, on the 2010 1090 RR the mirror glass is mounted on a ball pivot. The socket for that pivot is a bit shallow and it doesn't have the resistance needed to keep the mirror from moving.

The glass will pop off in your hand if you push with a steady pressure on the upper outside corner of the glass...BE READY TO CATCH IT!

Perhaps tightening the cir-clip that adds pressure to the socket would help. Some folks have simply lightly greased the ball and rolled it in some light grit to add friction.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I know from experience, on the 2010 1090 RR the mirror glass is mounted on a ball pivot. The socket for that pivot is a bit shallow and it doesn't have the resistance needed to keep the mirror from moving.
yup, mine flew out all on it's own. Dealer had warned me it might happen (they took care of it).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Get some crg bar end mirrors mate they work much better than the standard mirrors and once adjusted dont move at all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I tried pushing and easing the glass off and.........crack - ah **** it, now the glass is in 2 bits. Got access to the rear though and have stretched the spring and added some carbon paste to the recess which appears to have made it harder to move the mirror mount.

Now I just need to source a replacement mirror now.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pic of mirror housing

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Super Moderator
22,643 Posts
Very different from the 1090RR

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to butt in, I also mirror issues.
I have an 04 Brutale that needs mirrors.
Managed to source some later ones with the in built indicators, thought that these would be much better as I had noticed in road tests that they were actually functional.
Alas the bottom of the mirror doesn't appear to fit the existing mounts and there is no part no. listed for these.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts

The glass will pop off in your hand if you push with a steady pressure on the upper outside corner of the glass...BE READY TO CATCH IT!

I also know from recent first hand experience that the Euro Model version is NOT easy to remove by "steady pressure on the upper outside corner of the glass". :eek:nthecan:

F**k ! Sh*t ! Cr*p ! etc.....

Why did I try to remove the mirror ?

Because on BOTH of my mirrors, between the mirror and the stem, the screws have become loose and the entire mirror is now 'rattling'.

Oh well, I guess it's finally time to toss these useless vibrating mirrors in the garbage and upgrade...:naughty:

More pics to follow...:)

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,643 Posts
Well, damn...I should have specified the US model. The Euro model has a fixed glass that doesn't adjust or pop out at all...and it's the replacement for the US model when the glass hits the pavement.

I'll be a bit more specific next time, SORRY!!:banghead:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Well, damn...I should have specified the US model. The Euro model has a fixed glass that doesn't adjust or pop out at all...and it's the replacement for the US model when the glass hits the pavement.

I'll be a bit more specific next time, SORRY!!:banghead:
That's OK. :)

It's not your fault that MV provides these shitty mirrors in the first place...:bash:

And, if the lens doesn't pop out at all, then I am very interested to know how to tighten the mirror to the stem when it becomes loose....hold on...no, I don't really care any more 'cause I am getting rid of them...:smoking:

·
Registered
229 Posts
I also know from recent first hand experience that the Euro Model version is NOT easy to remove by "steady pressure on the upper outside corner of the glass". :eek:nthecan:

F**k ! Sh*t ! Cr*p ! etc.....

Why did I try to remove the mirror ?

Because on BOTH of my mirrors, between the mirror and the stem, the screws have become loose and the entire mirror is now 'rattling'.

Oh well, I guess it's finally time to toss these useless vibrating mirrors in the garbage and upgrade...:naughty:

More pics to follow...:)

I have this same problem of the mirror housing being slightly loose on the stem .

Did you eventually manage to remove the glass and tighten the offending fixing ?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Get some crg bar end mirrors mate they work much better than the standard mirrors and once adjusted dont move at all.

Even though I believe bar end mirrors are dangerous and depending on which brand - IMO unattractive, every one I have tried had ZERO vibration! So if that is important to you then CRG bar ends are best. I have 3 sets sitting in a box in my garage.

I guess having to look down and back (drop clip ons) takes a precious 2 to 3 seconds of attention away from what's happening in front of me. Having my mirrors at my line of sight in an upright position is important to me. I just got a Brutale, my 1st upright bike and the CRG lane splitters it came with are not so bad because I don't have to look back just down. Adding these to the box after I get stalk type mirrors soon. :naughty:

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I have this same problem of the mirror housing being slightly loose on the stem .

Did you eventually manage to remove the glass and tighten the offending fixing ?
No, the glass is now 'spider-ed' (like the photo) and will not come off easily unless I completely destroy the lens.

As soon as I get my new mirrors, I will take the entire thing to pieces to try and ascertain how the hell you are supposed to tighten the mirror casing to the stem.

At the moment, and for the very short term, I have put sticky tape across the 'spider' lens, so that I can still ride the bike.

I looked everywhere, in all my manuals, the forum and google, without finding out how to fix this 'loose' connection between the mirror housing/stem, without any luck.

Why are Italian bikes so difficult to work with ? :nutkick::bash:

·
Super Moderator
22,643 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts