MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Great pictures, Thanks for posting.

Any one know what the "infamous jet" they referred to as stiil standing outside means?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Great pictures, Thanks for posting.

Any one know what the "infamous jet" they referred to as stiil standing outside means?
Yes, I think it is an Aermacchi jet that they used to produce at the factory back in the 50's before they made motorcycles.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Yes, I think it is an Aermacchi jet that they used to produce at the factory back in the 50's before they made motorcycles.
Now you mention it, I think I've seen pictures on here of a plane from other peoples factory tours. Thanks!

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Thank you so much for those wonderful pics. Incidentally, I stayed 5 days at Porro Pirrelli right next door to Villa Castiglioni when I was there last November. Both are magnificent places, siutuated in Induno Olona, about a 20-25 minute drive from the factory.

I am still extremely sad by the passing of Claudio, his passion & vision has allowed me to realise my dream (well still not quite there yet) of owing 1,2,3 & 4 cylinder MVs from both MV 'eras'.

Yesterday, I worked all day on my 350 remounting my fabricated fairing bracket, a labour of love really - I decided to park the F4 next to it while I worked - it was my way of paying homage and giving thanks to the great man.

You know, I don't think I have ever been affected in this way by the passing of someone whom I did not know personally. I think it certainly shows the profound affect his creations have had - well certainly on me.

Thanks again for those marvellous pics.

Now you mention it, I think I've seen pictures on here of a plane from other peoples factory tours. Thanks!
I was lucky enough to be at the factory last November and was treated like royality by Giovanni Castiglioni. I did not get to meet Claudio but did see him a conference room in a meeting with half a dozen people including Massimo Bordi (I believe this was before he was 'officially' announced in a senior management position) - anyhow, he looked over as we went past & gave a smile & a little wave, which I thought was very cool.

I have no idea why the jet would be 'infamous' although it is indeed famous an an iconic part of the Schiranna factory - it is not technically in Varese as people believe. I don't believe that Aermacchi jets were ever built on that site (but I could be wrong). Mr Castiglioni (1978) bought the site from Harley Davidson who where buiding world championship winning 250 & 350 HD Aermacchi motorcycles at the time.

This is the Aermacchi jet that you are thinking about. It's right on the edge of Lake Varese which the factory boarders on - in fact if you lived the otherside of the lake you could go to work by boat & it would be 100 metre walk, if that, onto the factory floor

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
The picture of the F4 looking like it's resting on the toolbox in the workshop was the first glimpse i had of the bike when it was published in 'fast Bike' in I think 1998...........it was responsible for a two year wait for my F4, there was another picture with Shakey Byrne (then a road tester) with CC and the bike as well.

Very Sad about CC, I didn't agree with some of his ethics, but that I guees was just the canny business man in him, anyone who can sell the same company for millions and get it back twice for 1 euro must be a bit canny and very clever and passionate to say the least.

I do appreciate what he did for both Ducati and MV, and it's an end of an era, very sad, people should grow old before meeting their maker

1 - 11 of 11 Posts