MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
If you go the powerlet route, lemme know how you do it. I've asked that question a couple of times, but not seen anything.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ran leads off my battery with SAE quick disconnects, under the tank, out the front to electrify a tank bag using Powerlet accessories. I used the SAE/12V cigarette pigtail and then plug a cig lighter iPhone charger adapter into it. I set the phone in the bag and I'm good to go. Oh and the NEW iPhone 3gS was released today...yep, gotta spend more $$$ upgrading to the latest/greatest. Features stereo bluetooth streaming and voice recognition amongst other things.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
anyone done this yet? Im about to do it and would be grateful for any tips or advice. Ive seen a waterproof cigarette adapter thing on ebay and also one that has a USB end on it which i like the look of.

·
Registered
386 Posts
thats the shit. :mouthwate

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the powerlet adaptor on my "other" bike. It has two eyelet connectors for the battery terminals, fused, and a mini USB on the other end. The cable is coiled so no need to shorten the cable. I have routed the cable on the left side of the bike, secured using a few cable ties near the ends (to relieve stress) and in between. A trellis frame should make routing easier than on my aluminum-framed VFR. You might consider wrapping the cable around the frame, using the coil.

I assume you will be using a dock connector to USB for your iPhone cable. Since they tend to be about a foot or two long, I would let the powerlet's USB end on the frame side, probably under a trim or any other less water susceptible location. Connect the iPhone cable and wrap the connectors using shrink tubing or electrical tape (I know of no water-resistant USB connector, so take special care here) The dock connector would be the the exposed near your iPhone mount. I assume you will mount it on the handlebar, in a weather proof case. Just give it enough slack so it's easy to connect any time you use your iPhone.

BTW there is a free GPS app with imbedded map, called navfree. Not much better than the basic stand-alone GPS, but the price is right. I can't comment on how they compare to Navtech, Tomtom or any other iPhone gps app, or app/hw combo. Not sure about its compatibility with A2DP since I don't use BT.

Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts