MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I'm getting ready to store my bike for the winter. This is my first bike, so please pardon my newbie questions.

I am storing the bike in a temperature controlled garage. It won't get colder than 18 degrees celsius. Is it still necessary that I put in fresh oil before storing? If so, can I get away with a lower cost oil for storage purposes? Will I need an oil stabilizer as well?

Fuel. The dealership said I should be putting in a fuel stabilizer. I use ethanol free gas, and I thought I read somewhere that fuel stabilizers are a no-no in these bikes. Thoughts?

Lastly, Amsoil. Is it good to go? The dealership seems not to be very fond of Amsoil (but then again, I imagine they could just be trying to sell me their oil).

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Put in some fresh oil; either drain the tank or put fresh gas with stabilizer in it. Put it on stands or turn the wheels every now and then throughout the down time...

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
empty tank is best and dont bother with doing anything with the oil. thats pointless.
i put mine on stands and take a little bit of pressure out the tyres. might be pointless, but i like doing it ;)

Also, give it a really good clean, where i live the roads are often covered in salt and crap, you dont wanna be leaving that on it over the winter, its much harder to get off then.

Disconnect the battery unless you have an alarm and battery tender of course.

dont worry about starting it up every now and then, your in a temp controlled garage so nothings gonna go hard over time. plus, that just flattens the battery anyway.

Think thats about it....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. I forgot to mention it will be on a stand, I have a bursig style stand so moving it around and keeping the tires up is super easy. I also have a power plug right next to the bike so it will be on a battery tender as well.

Last question about the oil. What is the MV Agusta communities opinion of Amsoil? I have seen a lot of older threads saying its great. Does this hold true? My dealership is telling me Amsoil quality has gone down but doesn't have anything to substantiate. Are they just trying to sell me their stuff? Or is there any truth behind it?

·
Registered
318 Posts
My process is:
1)I always leave my old oil in the bikes, fresh oil before the 1st spring ride
2) full ethanol free gas with stabilizer in it
3) Connect the battery to a battery tender.
4) over inflate the tires or put the bike on stands
and you are all set.

Never start the bike until you are ready to ride it again. I have used this process for all my bikes for many years without a single issue.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Why not change the oil and filter before storage? Then you don't have that old crap (acids, metal flakes and other contaminants). The motor is sealed so the new stuff shouldn't deteriorate during the storage.

Agree, don't start the engine only not to ride. If you're going to start it, makes sure you ride it as that garage start doesn't get the motor to temperature and moisture accumulates inside the motor. I did that once and it felt like I filled my exhaust with water.

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
I have gone both ways on oil changes. On gas: If my tanks is plastic, I'll drain it. If my tank is steel, I will fill it as full as I can -- yes use a quality stabilizer in the fuel. Battery,, put it on a smart tender.

As for AMSOil, it is quality stuff. Do some research, probably the best of the best.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I've been filling the tank with ethanol free and some Sta-bil (ran it through the system for a bit, a quick ride to get it through the system), pop it up on stands, tender and its done till the spring. Of you do start it up, let it run to temperature before shutting down. I leave mine in an uncontrolled attached garage, typically 5 to -10℃ over the winter, it's fine come spring. I like changing oil before, why not. Mine runs Motul 7100 10w60. Haven't had issues with it.

No snow yet Man, you've a few more days left :) Sad enough sitting around Edmonton, let alone staring at your beautiful bike laid up, haha. I'm pushing for November.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been filling the tank with ethanol free and some Sta-bil (ran it through the system for a bit, a quick ride to get it through the system), pop it up on stands, tender and its done till the spring. Of you do start it up, let it run to temperature before shutting down. I leave mine in an uncontrolled attached garage, typically 5 to -10℃ over the winter, it's fine come spring. I like changing oil before, why not. Mine runs Motul 7100 10w60. Haven't had issues with it.

No snow yet Man, you've a few more days left :) Sad enough sitting around Edmonton, let alone staring at your beautiful bike laid up, haha. I'm pushing for November.
Thanks, this is probably what i'll do. Since i'm lucky to have a temp controlled garage, i'll put off the oil change for a weekend in the winter when i'm bored and miss my bike haha. I'll probably go Amsoil since there is a distributor in town and I have the preffered member card. If you ever want any, just let me know. I'm in Calgary semi-often and it's no skin off my back to drop off some oil.

We just got our first snow this weekend so i'm officially out :(

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Calgary's looking at possible teens for the next two days, so I'll get some more time in. Was going to brave -7 this morning, but the bike wouldn't start :( Probably trying to save my life, haha...frost over everything. I've got Motul enough for my next two changes (overdue at the moment), but may take you up on that :)

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I always try to do a pre winter ride on the bikes. First I change the oil/filter so it's lower on contaminants. Then I give it a nice warm up blast out..during which I usually freeze lol...
I fill the tank with fresh fuel and add fuel stabil ( which reminds me I need some).

I like a tank either full or completely empty. I think full of fresh fuel is best in Uk climate as humidity varies and condensation can appear in a cold steel tank.

It is a very good idea to change brake fluid at the end of the season. I do mine once a year. Fluid is so cheap and you are both purging the system of contaminants and water and also opening and closing the bleed nipples...Most of us have probably had the experience of a bleed nipple snapping off in the caliper through corrosion...not very useful start to the day..

And of course give it a clean.

I charge the batteries . disconnect earth leads where poss and recharge during the winter if I am home.

Get it up on a Bursig stand..each time I'm in the garage operate the brake and clutch levers, turn the steering a few times and spin the wheels..may be ott but I like the thought of grease being redistributed in the bearings.

and if I mistime and don't do it, I don't lose too much sleep..life is too short ...

joe

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I don't get into any of that....,I just stick them in the garage and put a blanket over them...., that is it!...

Oh almost forgot..., hook up the battery to an optimate battery tender.

I then turn my attention to fiddling about on the lathe:)
Brian

·
Registered
329 Posts
I noticed all you guys saying that you use ethanol free gas,I am not so lucky since in the states thats all there is here at least in my part of the country so for winter purposes should i use a fuel stabilizer in my gas containing ethanol? or should i have a empty tank?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I just ride it all year, saves all that faffing around. Just take it out for a spin at least once a month, although on the south coast of the UK the weather rarely gets anymore dramatic than damp and cold :)

·
Super Moderator
22,045 Posts
I noticed all you guys saying that you use ethanol free gas,I am not so lucky since in the states thats all there is here at least in my part of the country so for winter purposes should i use a fuel stabilizer in my gas containing ethanol? or should i have a empty tank?
Well, I don't have easy access to ethanol-free gas.

Use a stabilizer that is meant for ethanol gas, like Star-Tron, or Stabil Marine Ethanol Treatment.

If your tank is metal, fill it to the brim.

If your tank is plastic, drain it, run the engine until it dies and don't worry about stabilizers.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I just ride it all year, saves all that faffing around. Just take it out for a spin at least once a month, although on the south coast of the UK the weather rarely gets anymore dramatic than damp and cold :)

and it also rarely gets any better than damp and cold ha ha ! :bawling:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts