MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those who have read my posts here for the last couple of years will know I've always been a fan of the traditional Red/Silver colour scheme on F4 models and I still am, but being an (amateur) buyer and seller of MV parts, I've found myself with several matt black pieces and it's been a long held ambition to have a completely matt black F4 a la SPR whilst perhaps not a SPR replica.

Thus at the moment I've got a black cupola and seat unit together with a black screen and black alcantara seat and hump (thanks again Peter!). I've got a set of fairing panels to paint and I've just acquired a fuel tank (thanks Barry). I'm not sure whether to go for a matt black airbox or get a C/F one, but one item or should I say pair of items I'm still after are mirrors. I've got a LH one in red I could get sprayed matt black, has anyone got an undamaged RH one they would part with?

I'll post up some pictures of the project when complete (hopefully around Christmas time).

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
John

what about "before" & after pics

many thanks for the front nose cone too (Cupola), as mentioned in my PM, well packed up and delivered no problem

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
OK Roy here's a fpic with how the bike looks at the mo.

I'm waiting until I get all the required 'bit's before getting them sprayed black but as mentioned above I only really need an airbox and a pair of mirrors to get the ball rolling now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
The matt black looks great John...you can always put it back to red/silver when you're feeling nostalgic.

We had a Nero in the local for a while (pictured below) which was back in the shop recently (out the back) so I asked if what it was in for and they said it had just been resprayed and about to go back on the market...

apparently the guy that purchased it did so with company funds that was meant to be for a car and was driving his own car for work and using the bike as his own and he going alright as he had gotten away with it for nearly a year until he crashed it and there needed to be an insurance claim made which was in the company name where it was bought to the attention of someone in a different dept...this guy is nowhere to be found :later: and the company I heard now has a new policy on vehicle purchases.

·
Banned
2,732 Posts
Rockethouse said:
apparently the guy that purchased it did so with company funds that was meant to be for a car and was driving his own car for work and using the bike as his own and he going alright as he had gotten away with it for nearly a year until he crashed it and there needed to be an insurance claim made which was in the company name where it was bought to the attention of someone in a different dept...this guy is nowhere to be found :later: and the company I heard now has a new policy on vehicle purchases.
lol,

I love his style and a year of free running on it :yo:

the bike looks stunning though, stunning

god I cant get passed this page now, keep going back to look at the bike

one question: whats the story with cleaning/polishing the Matt Black

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
John, good luck on the matt black job. I love the SPR look, so keep us posted with pics and all!

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice picture Simon, that's more or less what I'm trying to achieve with mine. :mouthwate

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've just been down to the painter with the parts, it should be about Christmas time when I get them all back. Just need an airbox and a couple of mirrors still :stickpoke , but may go the C/F route for these. I've decided against an SPR clone so the side panels will just have the MV Agusta and the Valvole radiali decals more in keeping with a Nero, in fact I might have Nero stickers on the mirror backs but I don't want it to look too OTT.

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
You got me thinking John... I like the scheme from the 750 Senna. So... parts purchase time??

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Go for it Erik! :stickpoke

·
Registered
5,578 Posts
john said:
Go for it Erik! :stickpoke
Already looking for parts :stickpoke :jsm:

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Now THIS is what the popcorn smiley is for...This is hottin' up fast, I can't wait to see these machines.

Go for it all.

Griff
twoeleven

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Well it's been a while but I've tracked down all the parts I need and they should be back from the paint shop this weekend (fingers crossed). Thanks to Will for the mirror and Barry for the fuel tank. In fact I've acquired another fuel tank in silver if anyone wants one. I've spent the afternoon stripping the bike down ready to fit all the newly painted parts and I took a few photos in the process which might be of interest. I've got some metal fuel line fittings to replace the OE plastic ones too. Hopefully the bike will be back on the road in a week or so's time, it's been a while!:stickpoke:stickpoke:stickpoke

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All the parts are home, I've noticed a couple of interesting things. Firstly the fuel tank. I knew the tank I'd bought needed the Petseal treatment because of rust which had formed inside. What I didn't realise is that my original tank had quite a bit of rust on the top inner, presumably as a result of condensation forming when the bike has been stood over a couple of winters now, perhaps I should have kept the tank brim full of fuel to avoid this??

The other thing is that there is an additional breather tube on the airbox for the 1000 as opposed to the 750. At least the airbox I acquired for spraying didn't have the hole for the breather and I've had to drill one to suit my original set up. See photo. Apart from that everything else is OK, I've treated the tank today with the Petseal stuff (it's resin based so it's advisable to carry out the process with plenty of ventilation). That will take 24 hours to harden off so I won't be able to start the re-assembly in earnest until tomorrow. Watch this space:)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 35 Posts