MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it's getting cooler here and I thought it would be good to get some maintenance in before it gets too cold in the garage. Today I began to R&R the valve cover gasket as per Noel's instructions from another thread using RTV silicone to stop a small oil leak. I figured I'd also check the valves and drop new plugs in. I ordered a BMC air filter, tank fuel filter, and chain/sprockets a while back, so I'll put those on along with a new hub bearing, also from Noel. I'll do an oil change and a coolant flush and get it buttoned up. Right now it looks like this. It's amazing how neatly it comes apart.

http://imgur.com/a/Mf6gO

·
Registered
29 Posts
I too have some winter maintenance coming up including fuel filter and oil change.
I went fishing for well nuts not too long ago and can wholeheartedly agree how neatly the bike comes apart - also she looks damn beautiful with her clothes off :)

By the way your rear alloy looks super clean! What cans do you have on?

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
?

that was instructions to seal the valve cover not head gasket

the oil and fuel filters are at your local auto parts store

oil filter Purolator PL-14612

fuel filter WIX 33012

you don't need plugs

change the chain and sprockets when they're worn not because winter is coming

I'm at 33,000mi chain and sprockets are fine

front pads are ~50% remaining

:popcorn:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I too have some winter maintenance coming up including fuel filter and oil change.
I went fishing for well nuts not too long ago and can wholeheartedly agree how neatly the bike comes apart - also she looks damn beautiful with her clothes off

By the way your rear alloy looks super clean! What cans do you have on?
All factory.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that was instructions to seal the valve cover not head gasket

the oil and fuel filters are at your local auto parts store

oil filter Purolator PL-14612

fuel filter WIX 33012

you don't need plugs

change the chain and sprockets when they're worn not because winter is coming

I'm at 33,000mi chain and sprockets are fine

front pads are ~50% remaining

Yeah, same thing. JK

Awesome. IMO 33k is a long ride on one chain but that's good to know. I also like the Gold D.I.D look, so shoot me I'm a Ducati guy. I'm just changing plugs because I'm down there, FWIW. I'm used to following factory maintenance intervals to a T, and usually would have them done by a local dealer but here there are none that I know of.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
???

Yeah, same thing. JK

Awesome. IMO 33k is a long ride on one chain but that's good to know. I also like the Gold D.I.D look, so shoot me I'm a Ducati guy. I'm just changing plugs because I'm down there, FWIW. I'm used to following factory maintenance intervals to a T, and usually would have them done by a local dealer but here there are none that I know of.
Kevin;

An MV Agusta is no Ducati.......

My '08 910R presently coming up on 33,000 MILES

has never had the valve cover off

ZERO ISSUES

stock Yuasa battery lasted 8 years

replaced the stock hub with a Mitch hub....... haven't looked at in ~27,000 mi

the manual says replace the hub at 22,500mi..... they're ~$500 going to follow the

manual?

reduce the pinch bolt torque to 15lbft/20Nm.......the only thing that fails in the hub is

the 3810-2RS ball bearing, available from me for $34 + shipping .... they're ~$95 retail

if your bike feels like it has a flat rear tire ......stop and cbeck for play in the hub bearing

if there is any DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE ....you will trash the rear end

My Brutale 910R is the most reliable bike I've ever owned.......and that's in 60 years of

riding and almost 1,600,000 miles

·
Registered
661 Posts
Loving my new 3D chain and full floating brake discs, rattling along at low speed when brakes are not applied. Riding/commuting year round and in all weather, maintenance for me is no different than any other season. I'm just following the service intervals, and will upgrade hub and bearings at 20K. The Honda SP is the backup and the MV is the daily driver here, haha!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Fuuuuuuuu the new valve cover gasket is leaking. I was so careful with assembly, RTV sealant, torque I can't imagine doing it any better the second time, but it looks like that's what I'll be doing. :banghead:

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
I wonder if there is an aftermarket gasket that could solve this problem?
Can't see your pictures and not keen on clicking on another link mate, but as for your question, I've not heard of heard of any aftermarket options for the MVs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Did the job again, taking extra care, same result. Rode it anyway with paper towels stuffed in the frame. Going to order parts to do it a third time. Why the gasket doesn't seal doesn't make sense to me. I've changed cams and done valve jobs on other engines but never had this problem. Even bought a new torque wrench just to make sure the old one wasn't giving me the wrong values. Any ideas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I used Permatex black RTV sealant on both sides of the valve cover gasket, on top of the spark plug gaskets, and around the bolt o-rings. Leaking from the half moons below valve cover seam. Neither time did it leak anywhere else. I cleaned everything with Simple green and used baby powder to test. It leaked approx. 150 ml of fresh 20w50 Amsoil over a 115 mile spirited ride. If it wasn't for the mess and the danger of getting oil on the rear tire, I might be able to live with it.

·
Registered
14,495 Posts
wtf????

your leakage rate is 1.3+ LITERS /1,000 miles.......

it's not rideable........

use WAY LESS RTV, and an orange or red one instead...... sounds like you're putting

WAY TOO MUCH ON......and the gasket is squirting out .....

put a very thin coat on the bottom of the gasket and sparkplug gaskets and remount

the valve cover.....wait a few hours and come back .....remove the cover and put a thin

coat of RTV on the top sides, coat the O-rings and bolt it down

it's you and your technique, not the RTV or gaskets

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Happy to say I had the leak repaired by Elmer at Northside Cycle, man that guy is great. He explained the reason the gasket wasn't sealing properly was because the bolts I was using didn't have the shoulder to prevent over tightening, so I was pressing the gasket out of place. So we switched back to factory bolts and voila. :rocket:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts