MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been frustrated by the noise and turbulence generated by the stock windscreen. Others have tried taller screens, but since raising the screen to the higher settings made the noise and turbulence worse it seemed that the screen is actually too tall.
If you stand on the pegs at speed the turbulence and noise diminish substantially. So I removed the screen completely and rode for a while without it. What a difference. Turbulence and noise gone! Try it and you will see.
With this knowledge I cut my screen down to be level with the painted bits of the fairing. I think it looks rather racy and makes the bike much more enjoyable for me (6 feet tall). The shorter screen still gives some relief from the wind, and of course can be raised further albeit with additional noise.

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Ted,
Sounds interesting, how do you cut the wind screen?

Greetings

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gero, First I taped off the area to cut, then I used a Dremmel tool with a round saw blade. Next I filed the cut edge smooth. Finally I polished the edge with wet 400 grit sandpaper.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Ted,

thanks for the answer, that sounds not so complicated as I thought :))

Maybe I'll give it a try..

·
Registered
910 Posts
Interesting...
My GT-Air is noisy on the TV, but it is most quiet helmet I got in my biker's life when I ride my wife's Street Triple, and this whatever the speed (and it was the same with the Monster before). The helmet is designed to be in the air flow, and on the MV it is not... The noise is coming from this situation. I would think a hole in the windscreen to allow some airflow to come in may solve the problem. But the way proposed here by @TedW is likely to give some good results...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Marko, Yes I've tested up to 90 MPH and the result is much, much better. The bike is much less nervous.
I really didn't like the feel of the bike at those speeds before.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Marc,
I tried the hole trick first. I cut a 4 inch by 1 inch wide slot near the top of the screen. It was only slightly effective and convinced me to cut the screen height down.
BTW - My helmet is a Schuberth C3 and is pretty quiet in the open air.
Before anyone takes a saw to their windscreen I recommend riding the bike without the screen at high speeds first to make sure the result is satisfactory for the rider's height and helmet type.
Ted

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Before anyone takes a saw to their windscreen I recommend riding the bike without the screen at high speeds first to make sure the result is satisfactory for the rider's height and helmet type.
I think that's very sensible advice. Slight differences in rider position, trunk height (seat to helmet), jacket worn as well as helmet design will all have an influence and give varying results. It's a very individual thing and requires that each person needs to experiment to find the best solution.

On a bike like a Turismo you're not going to achieve the Goldwing/BMW RT still pocket of air, accepting an improvement is the best we can really hope for.

·
Registered
521 Posts
So I've done it :laugh:
I still had the Puig screen which I don't like, so I cut the screen like Ted...

..and I must say there are really less wind noise as before.... but at high speed the wind pressure what u will get on the chest it's much higher as before.

For me personally is the original screen still the best solution...

but as Chas wrote... it is an personally and individually thing, everybody is different.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gero, did you try raising the cut down screen? It will reduce the wind pressure a bit, but give a bit more noise.
It might be a better compromise for you. But as you said, it's a personal thing.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Ted, no just done the cut as u did... seeing on the photo of your bike...

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Obviously cutting/lowering the screen will shift the disturbed airflow that occurs between the relatively still air behind the screen and the flowing air that the screen/fairing is displacing. The boundary between these two is turbulent, noisy and unpredictable. If that's flowing around your helmet, especially the ear area, then there Wiill be significant noise.

For a tall rider raising the screen so as to flow this boundary over your head isn't really going to be practical. Though the kicked up lip of the Puig screen does work for me at 6'. Not perfect but a definite improvement for me.

Reactions: zzaraxx

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice. I thought about taking my old stock screen to a body shop to do this. Was going to have them do a round arc cut on the top and paint it silver like bike, just because. But I never got around to it :(

Glad you guys are getting good results on wind noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts