MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear a dark (helmet) shield & "polarized" prescription glasses and can't see my instruments so; I got tired of not being able to read my instrument cluster (dark background w/ light lettering, light background w/ dark lettering reading), neither was very visible. I went down and purchased a windscreen Mod package.
It was Saturday and the weather was misting; so, no riding. Figured I'd try it out: I can now read the "cluster" in almost any situation (had to switch back to the light background w/ dark lettering). But now, unless the sun is almost directly shining on it I can see it better then ever. Thought I'd (share), post up a couple of pictures and see what you guys think. -Davis

Attachments

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have the same problem when I wear my polarized glasses too, if you just want to get a quick look at your gauges just tilt your head right or left and you'll be able to see your instrument cluster.

·
Registered
661 Posts
steer away from polarized glasses, they wreak havoc through multiple surfaces. They may be best used for specific applications only like fishing.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's an interesting one-- polarized sunglasses with faceshield up and dash is unreadable. Lower the faceshield(AGV clear) the dash is readable. Haven't tried it yet with other helmet brands. Anybody else noted this?:stickpoke

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's an interesting one-- polarized sunglasses with faceshield up and dash is unreadable. Lower the faceshield(AGV clear) the dash is readable. Haven't tried it yet with other helmet brands. Anybody else noted this?:stickpoke
Let me borrow your helmet and I'll let you know ! :stickpoke

In all honestly: I really prefer the polarized glasses. I noticed just driving my Prius, if I have a paper (or whatever) on the dash it will reflect badly (and impair my view) on the window vs; if, I'm wearing my polarized glasses I see through the window as if nothing is on the dash at all. It literally disappears.

Additionally, just driving down the road objects like; manhole covers, road debris, shiny rocks in the pavement; like wise disappear. Many of the street signs here in the U.S. are coated in a "reflective" substance (for night) that I can read from a much greater distance w/ my polarized lenses (during the day).

And possibly, most importantly: driving in to the morning or afternoon sun; I can see much better w/ way more detail and almost zero glare. I am much more comfortable wearing polarized glasses now and feel that I have a much better view of the road and any opposing objects.

Riding my bike w/ my "smoke" visor down I still see objects much better w/ the polarized glasses the only down side was the instruments on the bike. Like it or not (guys): with the windscreen (black out) mod I now have the best of both worlds. -Davis

Now; what model AGV helmet was that again !?!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Ok, tried a number of helmets(AGV K3, AGV grid, X-lite, Shoei, Blauer. Same with all--polarized sunglasses with face shield up , dash is blacked out. Lower face shield and dash is readable. No idea why but results are good. :jerkoff:

·
Super Moderator
22,821 Posts
That is probably because of the way polarization works. Light waves are emitted in a two wave form with those waves at 90 degrees from each other. Think a big X. Polarized lenses and displays remove one of the cross-legs on the X. If you have another polarized surface which you are looking at or through, the thing being looked at will go black...transmit no light. Try this with two pair of polarized sunglasses: Hold them up lens to lens and turn on lens until no light is transmitted...you'll see what I mean.

Vehicle windscreens, and some motorcycle screens have built in glare protection. It show up as colorful patterns when looked at through polarized lenses. Some combination of that may be allowing you to see your dash.
Usually formed curved plastic have stress risers that distort color as would glare protection...which is why I don't wear polarized sun glasses when riding with a face shield. The distortion is too noticeable and distracting.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Yes, same here, helmet is a Shoei with a clear visor and pinlock screen.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts