MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bike back Tuesday after having a new sprag clutch installed, an oil change, and the latest map uploaded. I had high hopes that the new map would resolve some of my stalling issues, but in less than 150 miles it has stalled 5 times. As always, it is when the clutch is pulled in as I'm slowing to a stop. At least now with the new sprag clutch it fires up quickly, on the first push of the button (had a few hairy moments pre-sprag replacement where the bike died, the light changed, and the bike didn't restart on the first try and I was planning an exit strategy in busy traffic with a vehicle on my ass and a dead bike. Luckily she fired up on the second try).

Anyone else having the same issues? Is there something else to blame besides the map? I'm pretty certain it isn't operator error. I thought about fuel since it's practically impossible to find ethanol-free gas in Southern California. Anyone have any experience with the stabilizers and fuel treatment?

I love the bike, but I'm getting frustrated with the stalling. MV has done right by me with support thus far, but I'm beginning to wonder if the stalling will ever be resolved.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Stalling

I want to add my bit after reading about this for months. Please don't chew my head off, this is just my expierience.
All of this is after the software upgrade and map I had installed in March.
My B3 800 is 13 months old and done 9000k.
I have found out a few basic things to do and not to do with these Italian born bikes.
When turning the key on, wait until complete instrument boot up and test done before touching anything. Pull the clutch in and press the starter button, no throttle. Do not touch anything, no blip of the throttle, nothing. Resist the temptation. Let it get at least 2 bars of temperature before touching anything.
Follow this and it will run well, no hesitation coming back on the gas etc.
Next is fuel, our standard in Australia is RON. We have E10 (10% ethanol), 91,95 and 98.
Forget everything except 98.
Ethanol, 91 and 95 will kill it.
This bit is important, I only get 98 from large main road fuel stops. Everytime I have gotton 95 or such from a small town fuel stop I have had problems, stall, run rough etc.
If I fail to follow my own advice above, it runs like a bitch. I nearly dropped it when it stalled on me one day so now no more crappy fuel stops.
I am a bit lucky here though as I only use the Brutale for zip up a mountain range near my house and back on the same tank of fuel, so I now get it the one place.
I am also very carefull when washing the bike, I cover the instruments and use the lowest pressure water I can to get the job done.
No pressure cleaners. Be careful not to wet the throttle connection plug under the right hand air intake, keep it dry and sealed or you will throttle issues and worse, errors on screen.
I am not trying to say these things will solve your individual bike problems but follow the above and it may allow you enjoy the Brutale that little extra bit.
Hope this is of help to someone.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Pug, all your comments are good advice.

Abmar, there are several threads dealing with the "stalling on clutch in" issue already but the answer you’re interested in is, Yes! There is something other than the mapping to blame for the stalling. Please read my thread, “Happy anniversary to me, NOT!!!!” where I document my problems and their fixes. Page 4 about halfway down.

The short answer is, your dealer needs to sync the throttles to correct the stalling.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good points. I'm definitely going to bring up syncing the throttle with my dealer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello friends. First post from a lurker here. Thanks for sharing various resolutions to this issue. I've had my Brutale 800 for a month now and got my first 2 stalls this weekend! Yaaaay! I went into this with my eyes wide open though thanks to you all. Right now it wouldn't change a thing though. I'm addicted.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I went on a ride today and mine stalled 3 times while slowing to a stop with clutch in. Will look into the throttle sync fix
Exactly what used to happen on the MV990 when it was new. Resetting the TPS (or something like that) seemed to help. Adding more Kms to engine helped too.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Exactly what used to happen on the MV990 when it was new. Resetting the TPS (or something like that) seemed to help. Adding more Kms to engine helped too.
Mine has only gotten worse with the more miles on the bike. It happened pretty infrequently at first, but now with over 4,000 miles on the bike it is a matter of not if she's going to stall, but when.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Mine has only gotten worse with the more miles on the bike. It happened pretty infrequently at first, but now with over 4,000 miles on the bike it is a matter of not if she's going to stall, but when.
that's a shame. At least you can get your workshop to check the issues that cause this problem as there must be something that isn't quite right there.
The problem seems to happen across all bikes at various times so hopefully a good mechanic will know where to look.

·
Registered
216 Posts
i've just learned to hold a bit of throttle when coming to a stop or dropping into 1st gear or 2nd at low speeds and have not stalled in some time but i am so weary that it will!! the fear is real

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
My bike has only ever stalled once and that was because I had my mate on the back and didn't allow for the extra weight/revs when I pulled away :laughing:

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i've just learned to hold a bit of throttle when coming to a stop or dropping into 1st gear or 2nd at low speeds and have not stalled in some time but i am so weary that it will!! the fear is real
I've found myself changing my riding habits trying to avoid the stalling, which I'm not a fan of.

Has any of the US riders found a correlation between increased stalling and the removal of the carbon canister for those of us who aren't subject to stringent emissions regulations?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I picked up a dragster a few months ago. Mine was stalling once or twice per tank of gas. I contacted my dealer for a warranty repair and they adjusted an air screw- problem fixed. It has not stalled in over 3000 miles.

My understanding is that these motors run very lean from the factory for emissions purposes. Perhaps you have the same problem?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I picked up a dragster a few months ago. Mine was stalling once or twice per tank of gas. I contacted my dealer for a warranty repair and they adjusted an air screw- problem fixed. It has not stalled in over 3000 miles.

My understanding is that these motors run very lean from the factory for emissions purposes. Perhaps you have the same problem?
It could be that it's running lean. I'm not a fan of the California emissions standards on all of the US bikes, especially when the mapping pretty much requires the canister to be on everywhere. I had removed mine and the eyesore was just reinstalled today in an attempt to alleviate my stalling issues. It stalled less frequently, but I'm still experiencing a few stalls post canister reinstallation. I know California had crappy fuel, so I may have to research and try some ethanol stabilizers until I bring it back to the dealership to get a new tank installed after the ethanol has warped it. While it's there I'll have them tinker with it some more to try and figure it out.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
It could be that it's running lean. I'm not a fan of the California emissions standards on all of the US bikes, especially when the mapping pretty much requires the canister to be on everywhere. I had removed mine and the eyesore was just reinstalled today in an attempt to alleviate my stalling issues. It stalled less frequently, but I'm still experiencing a few stalls post canister reinstallation. I know California had crappy fuel, so I may have to research and try some ethanol stabilizers until I bring it back to the dealership to get a new tank installed after the ethanol has warped it. While it's there I'll have them tinker with it some more to try and figure it out.
abmar, did your dealer not sync the throttle bodies as I mentioned earlier?
Like chackens said, mine has also not stalled since my dealer finally listened to me, (well, only after Bruce Meyers, MV's US tech guru, told him the same thing) and made the necessary adjustments to the throttle bodies.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just read this thread. I have never had my bike stall. I do come to a stop by releasing the clutch on each downshift. I do this on my race bike and it just transferred to the my street bike (F3). My bike just over 1500 miles. I would be interested in how this progresses with fixes just in case I run into this problem in the future.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Just read this thread. I have never had my bike stall. I do come to a stop by releasing the clutch on each downshift. I do this on my race bike and it just transferred to the my street bike (F3). My bike just over 1500 miles. I would be interested in how this progresses with fixes just in case I run into this problem in the future.
Todd, chances are you won't have this problem. The fact that you and other owners have had no stalling is in part why it's taking years to rectify the problem. (Stalling on clutch in was reported shortly after the first F3's were delivered early in 2012.)
Couple that with the factory's reluctance to issue Technical Service Bulletins that clearly identify problems along with step by step instructions on how to correct them and you'll start to understand why there seems to be so many different fixes for the same problem.

As for how this will progress all one has to do is read through all the threads on this subject. It starts out with owners being told to get the latest map and ends many months or years later with multiple new parts like throttle body assemblies/ECU's and/or wiring harnesses. I believe now all that is needed is for a mechanic to check that the throttle bodies are in sync. Only after verification of proper sync, if the stalling persist, should a mechanic need look further.

Bottom line, anyone who has had a bike stall must get their dealer to correct it A.S.A.P. or they may suffer the same fate that AYDIN did last summer.

This is what happened when he let the clutch out not realizing the engine had died. The rear wheel locked up and pitched him off. The bike went down on the left side and then flopped over on it's right.

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
Just got a call that my throttle bodies were out of sync - #1 was closed. Sync'd now.

Result - no stalling in 30 miles of riding with lots of stops. :highclap:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Just got a call that my throttle bodies were out of sync - #1 was closed. Sync'd now.

Result - no stalling in 30 miles of riding with lots of stops. :highclap:
Congrats, enjoy the uninterrupted riding we hope you find now. :)

Kevin, how did the tech discover this? Did you ask him to check the sync or did he phone a friend? :naughty:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts