MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old F4 was hand built!

In case you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRh5YWbdzbE (this is part two)

I don't think they will have the time to built the new model like this. The production number will be a lot higher. After seeing the new vs. old engine pics I have my doubts.

thoughts?
:popcorn:

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Hand built gives the impression that the build quality will be superior, I'm not sure that's the case.

·
Registered
384 Posts
i don't think so, price would be higher

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
For sure it will be handbuild.
No automation machines available in varese, and who tells the numbers will be much higher?
For me it's not so clear that the market will consume more Mv's then before.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I might go over there again and ask if I can help build mine!!

Last time there the factory was shut so I didn't get my hands dirty at all! But my bike was being made while I was in nearby France and maybe that is the reason why I will keep this one forever!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Handbuilt? stirs up a lot of options like a craftsman hand peening an aluminium tank? I doubt it.
Anyone who visits the Milan show will see just how easy it is to make a bike in Italy, the Acerebis stand has plastic fuel tanks and covers on show from just about every bike and it goes on with castings, frames, electrics etc.

Whilst visiting the Ducati Plant I saw boxes arriving of forks.......with calipers, handlebars, clocks, switches already attached!!

These days Motorcycle factory's are little more than assembly plants, very little actual 'manufacturing' goes on, not like the 'old' handbuilt days

·
Registered
293 Posts
With the price decreasing, they certainly have to be less careful with engine building..
Doesn't mean it will be less reliable, just less nice once you open it... Same thing the did at Ducati a few years ago...

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I don't think their process is changing even if the parts will be cheaper. I think they'd mention if they found a way to save money or increase production time. That info would be appealing to potential investors.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Ok this is my take on it from a business stand point. I think they will change the production process dramatically. Lets face it, MV was bankrupt because the bikes were not profitable. They used expensive parts, labor and RnD. Thats why i loved (love) them because they weren't compromising and were really perfectionists. When HD bought MV i'm pretty sure they looked into how to make the bike more profitable. Probably changed the production workflow, parts etc. I mean if you buy a company for 100 million you wanna see a good return of your investment. This is what i think makes sense from a business point of view. Of course i could be wrong and hope that i am. I doesn't mean that the new bike is bad in built quality. Ferrari did a major change in production from the 355 to the 360. The 355 was all hand built. The 360 mass production.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I don't think their process is changing even if the parts will be cheaper. I think they'd mention if they found a way to save money or increase production time. That info would be appealing to potential investors.
I'm sure they will tell investors. There's no reason to make it public through press. It's not that a company communicates with potential investors through magazine articles, newspapers or press releases.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Ok this is my take on it from a business stand point. I think they will change the production process dramatically. Lets face it, MV was bankrupt because the bikes were not profitable. They used expensive parts, labor and RnD. Thats why i loved (love) them because they weren't compromising and were really perfectionists. When HD bought MV i'm pretty sure they looked into how to make the bike more profitable. Probably changed the production workflow, parts etc. I mean if you buy a company for 100 million you wanna see a good return of your investment. This is what i think makes sense from a business point of view. Of course i could be wrong and hope that i am. I doesn't mean that the new bike is bad in built quality. Ferrari did a major change in production from the 355 to the 360. The 355 was all hand built. The 360 mass production.
One would assume added production would mean an increase in jobs for the Italians. Now YES HD probably found ways to reduce production costs and that probably means less wine and cheese breaks! But more Italians building bikes will lead to increased production and happier MV owners.:ahhh:

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Timster You just need a look at the facilties in Schiranna and You will know that the final assembly line as the engine assembly line can not be automated there. For sure MV Agusta is purchasing large numbers of parts from suppliers. They did it in the past and they will do it in the future. But as with the Suspensions where MV is doing the research and development and the suppliers build the products exactly according MV specifications. The frames, which carry the writing "saldato al mano", don't have to be made in Schiranna and could be hand welded at a supplier. Even than it would be hand build. But compare welding seams of a MV Agusta frame with the rest. lets say Ducati for an example. You will be surprised how other manufacturers fabricate their stuff and how this looks like. Once You visited the Factory of MV Agusta You will know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The Ferrari 360 was in production from 1999 to 2005 and they made about 11000.

If these figures are correct they hardly scream 'MASS PRODUCTION'.:)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The Ferrari 360 was in production from 1999 to 2005 and they made about 11000.

If these figures are correct they hardly scream 'MASS PRODUCTION'.:)
compared to the number ferrari produced in the years before the 360 it is. BTW A total of 17,500 360s were produced over 5 years of production.10,000 were coupes, made up of 8,500 standard coupes, 1500 Challenge Stradales.The remaining 7,500 were Spiders.

Anyway i just hope MV won't loose the quality bit with the new model.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
compared to the number ferrari produced in the years before the 360 it is.

Anyway i just hope MV won't loose the quality bit with the new model.
They already lost some of that between 2000-2009,they need to get it back, my last 1000R was quite a mess, spare bolts on top of the engine, 'O' ring seals cut on the inlet and one jubille clip loose, plus the normal swarf in the engine at first oil change which is only down to piss poor preparation prior to assembly

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Nice video, I hadn't seen any of that footage before, thanks for the link Timster.

Not really any point 'running in' a new bike when the engine is bench run and then nailed on the dyno !

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
running in has a lot more to do with than just the engine..... the gears in the tranny need to be meshed-in, and for the engines sake.... you have seals & valves that need to be "seated" and such.

One or two high-rev sessions at the factory only let them know that the engine is producing a "standard" and also lets them know if they didn't torque something down right. :bash:

(my guess)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts