MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The May 2010 issue of Motorcyclist discusses the future of MV Agusta on page 24, noting that Bajaj Auto of India (the world's 4th largest motorcycle manufacturer) recently increased their ownership of KTM to 32% of the company, helping to offset KTM's $115 million loss last year.

Apparently, according to the article, Bajaj expressed interest in buying Ducati and Triumph, but nothing developed after some talks were held.

The article states the Bajaj is a "prime contender" to buy MV Agusta from HD, and that Bajaj has the ability to pay a substantial cash amount to get the deal done. The article also notes that the rumored 675 MV Triple is a "well developed F3 in the pipeline".

The article states that Ducati isn't interested in MV Agusta (no surprise there - Castiglioni sold Ducati years ago).

Another interesting tidbit in the article - supposedly Bombardier of Canada offered to buy Buell from HD, an interesting story since Bombardier owns the Austrian company Rotax, the manufacturer of several Buell engines, along with some engines for BMW. If they bought Buell the article states that they would have moved production to their Can-Am sub, possibly renaming the Buell bikes as Can-Ams.

Anyway, the gist of the article suggests that Bajaj would be a strong owner for MV Agusta, is financially stable and has the cash on hand to make a deal work quickly.

It this is true, maybe the F3 triple will be a reality much sooner than anyone thought. Seems to me that with this a possibility MV Agusta has no where to go but up. I sure hope so. My local dealer doesn't have a single bike in the showroom. I guess everyone's worried about getting stuck with inventory if Harley decides to pull the plug. Seems kind of silly to me. MV Agusta is a great brand to have - the two wheeled version of Ferrari - same marketing plan, same exotic high end focus based upon racing and innovative design in an exclusive wrapper.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Another interesting tidbit in the article - supposedly Bombardier of Canada offered to buy Buell from HD, an interesting story since Bombardier owns the Austrian company Rotax, the manufacturer of several Buell engines...
Wow...How did I miss that?:stickpoke

Al

:f4:

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Why not? What's wrong with Indian ownership? Have they wrecked KTM or robbed them of their (rather undesirable) brand identity?

Think of Corus (formerly Hoogovens/British Steel): Indian ownership. Is something amiss in the quality of their steel?

Exonofobia vs sensible global thinking.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Indian people are incredibly smart, but when it comes to management and infastructure they are horrible. I think this would spell certain pitfalls for MV business overall.sry I type from iPhone.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Why not? What's wrong with Indian ownership? Have they wrecked KTM or robbed them of their (rather undesirable) brand identity?

Think of Corus (formerly Hoogovens/British Steel): Indian ownership. Is something amiss in the quality of their steel?

Exonofobia vs sensible global thinking.
:laughing:

What does the fear of a large oil company have to do with this?:stickpoke
:laughing:

On a serious note, provided they let the Italians continue to run it, they will probably find that they have met their match in horrible management & infrastructure - however, genius & art usually comes at a price.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Well something needs to be done. My dealership has recently dropped MV Agusta and they told me they haven't sold a new one in 2 years. Luckily they still sell their parts and do the maintenance.

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
Agree with you 100% SportBikeMike, I think we in NSW (Austalia's biggest state population wise) we may be down to one single dealer! There's a few maintanence agents but I think that's about it for dealers. I think those of us that appreciate the intangible joys of ownership that other bikes just can't provide really want to see more people share that joy.

On a greedy note, if they go under, throw a cover over it stick it the garage & pull it out in 10 years time and admire your valuable highly sought after classic!

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
i just would like to see it stay with italians. Is that too much too ask. I mean, bloody alfa or some of their cars are made i india or thailland. Whats next lamb and ferraris made by the italians, vespa is indian now i think
cant the italians keep something sheez

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well speaking as someone very seriously contemplating buying a 2010 F4 i would like to think that the ownership and financial stability of the company should be secure whoever ends up owning MV.I would hate to see the local dealer(40 MILES) shut up shop and me having to do a 200 mile round trip for a service

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well speaking as someone very seriously contemplating buying a 2010 F4 i would like to think that the ownership and financial stability of the company should be secure whoever ends up owning MV.I would hate to see the local dealer(40 MILES) shut up shop and me having to do a 200 mile round trip for a service
As it is my local dealer who is incredible(and deals in all Italian bikes) is far enough away as all the other dealers seem to be Japanese brands only and probably wouldn't want to even service something as exclusive as an MV.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ummm yeah, the Lamborghini's ARE no longer hand made....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts