MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think MV will ever fix the F3 Sprag Clutch or will a Aftermarket one be ever made that works

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seriously how long can it remain cost effective to keep replacing with the same shit ?

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The Sprag clutch in an F3 is not model specific, all the three cylinder platforms (Brutale 675/800 RR, Dragsters, TV's, Stradale, Rivale etc) share this component. I have had four replacements so far, and number five is looming.

MV have known about the issue for at least three years, there have been many many "final" fixes, and still the issue persists, up til now MV have been covering warranty, however my dealer made a claim on my behalf fora warranty replacement for my three year old 15k mile B800 and the factory rejected it. No doubt the money issues the factory is facing are going to have a dramatic impact on out of warranty claim even for a know fault.

No explanation by MV offered. I am going to have it replaced (I mean what options do I have?) and we will submit a retrospective claim. If that gets rejected I for one will be letting everyone know of the factories poor support to loyal owners who bought an MV and the fact that these 3 cyl bikes are flawed and an expensive product that is simply not fit for purpose.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
A recall to fix all of them with a proper part would 100% bankrupt MV. Nail in the coffin. Done.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think the major issue will be when a sprag fails and it costs £400 in labour to fix out of warranty and it happens again. How many people will/can afford to throw thousands of pounds/dollars at a bike a year each time one gives up? it will be interesting to see what a dealer will do if they replace it and it fails under a year in.

I have just been told that MV will supply the part, but not cover the labour. That said my bike is 3.5 years old and I have 8000 miles on it. But I don't think it's the sprag, more a failing battery tender that may have done the battery in. Especially as I have 0 problems starting when hot.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
How much time does it take to be replaced? My dealer was mentioning a day work. Seems at bit much or what?

·
Registered
5,588 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Bennetts my dealer say 4 hrs to replace

Does it seem possible that an aftermarket Sprag could be made by some clever Engineer which would sort the issue.
Obviously for a reasonable price and if proved to work there would be plenty of buyers

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
The question is, what is so different on the 800 that the 675 doesnt have this issue (knock on wood)?

Higher compression?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
The question is, what is so different on the 800 that the 675

Probably something to do with the at least 10/1 sales ratio of 800's over 675's perhaps?

There are 9 different models that use the 800 engine, not including the fancy paint job ones compared to just 2 676 ones

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Probably something to do with the at least 10/1 sales ratio of 800's over 675's perhaps?

There are 9 different models that use the 800 engine, not including the fancy paint job ones compared to just 2 676 ones
So what you saying is that statistically we are just not hearing about the 675 sprag failures?

Doubt that, been here on the forum since I got my second batch 2012 675 new and havent read of a single sprag failure on the 675. Mine is still ticking over strong (knocks on wood). My brothers B3 675 is also ticking over strong.

Dont think the 675 motor is affected, just not sure why?

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have a 2014 Brutale B3 800 with the same sprag clutch issue. i live in Hawaii where there is no dealer or tech to fix it. although my bike is still under warranty, it's dead in the water, just sitting and collecting dust in my parking stall.

can't fix it, can't sell it....

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
i have a 2014 Brutale B3 800 with the same sprag clutch issue. i live in Hawaii where there is no dealer or tech to fix it. although my bike is still under warranty, it's dead in the water, just sitting and collecting dust in my parking stall.

can't fix it, can't sell it....
Ehhh, so how were you going to fix any other warranty issue if you dont have a dealer? Bikes break down, its not only MV that has warranty repairs.

Did you knowingly buy a bike that didn't have any dealer network where you live?

I think that is your problem rather than the sprag at this time.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ehhh, so how were you going to fix any other warranty issue if you dont have a dealer? Bikes break down, its not only MV that has warranty repairs.

Did you knowingly buy a bike that didn't have any dealer network where you live?

I think that is your problem rather than the sprag at this time.
i'm in the military. i bought the bike in california, where i was stationed but got transferred to Hawaii last Nov. so right now i have a 400 pound paper weight. :violin:

once i found out i was going to hawaii, the first thing i did was look for MV dealers and techs on the island. there were none but i had just bought the bike 2 months prior.

when i was stationed in california, i had the tank replaced due to a leak, had the EAS quickshifter replaced because it randomly didn't shift, and got outfitted with a new engine map due to a jerky ride at 1500-2000 rpm steady throttle - these were all warrantied repairs done at my request. i even got my Maintenance Ticket D completed before i reached the scheduled mileage because i knew i wouldn't be able to get it done at a dealer.

:bawling::bawling::bawling:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts