MV Agusta Forum banner

Why would you put single exhaust on the F3

31K views 68 replies 28 participants last post by  SneakyOwl 
#1 ·
Why would people put single exhaust on the F3? In my opinion, triple exhaust is what makes the F3 unique.. and makes it look like an art, sort of like musical instrument.

Just by doing quick Google search, I came up with these single exhausts, I'm sure I have missed some, but I wonder why they're so popular??

Termignoni

SC Project

Yoshimura

Hindle

HP Corse

Arrow

GPR

Zard

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Its form before function. For me for something to be beautiful its form must heighten its function - not detract from it.

For me a Harley is disgusting - it takes the concept of a motorcycle, and through "style" reduces the function of a motorcycle, aka it makes it heavy, poor handling etc.

For me the three pipes do nothing functionally. The header is 3 into 1. This is then split into 3 pipes purely for decoration. In doing so the silencer becomes heavier than it needs to be. This is on a sports bike where weight is king and people will be buying carbon and titanium bits to loose a few grams. OK so we're not talking Harlyesq like gaffs here, but it is a small example of form before function.

So I look at the 3 pipes, that some people love and rave about and think "oh no what a gaff" .. perhaps that's the engineer in me

The rest of the bike : 100% beautiful though, and probably the best bike avialable at 173kg ... which is why I'm probably going to get one

#9 ·
Exactly...I got flack on here for my high mount EvolutionBike exhaust. Opinions are like butts everyone has one. The triple pipes also cost 1.5x or more than single exits. The race teams went with single pipes for a reason.

#3 ·
I have a high level arrow exhaust, the reason being is the triple exit exhausts don't look the most efficient way for exhaust gases to exit the bike as Post above states headers 3 into 1 why bother going back into 3. And second is noise levels. You will not find a triple exit can to pass track noise regs.

#15 ·
And i also don't like the ones on the Pictures above. Try to remove the wheel without removing the muffler...
That's the reason for the high mount.
I have the stubby Termi can on mine (it came with the bike when I bought it). I kind of wish I had the high mount, because I am changing tires several times a year, and I do have to remove the can every freaking time.

#7 ·
I like the longer Termi for the track and the 3 pipes for the road. Re the 4 pics above, like the Silmoto although I hate the Silmoto quad pipes for the F4, hate the 2nd pic, hate the 3rd pic....those weird shaped ends....what a f**ken joke, hate the collector in particular in pic 4.

I would always replace the 3 pipes with a single for the track, possibly on the road though I really like the look of the MV pipes

#11 ·
Some of those singles are just flat out disgusting. Now of course I fully realize that it is a single pipe coming from the manifold; the 3-in-1 is just making it look fancy. Well for me, that fanciness on the stock exhaust was one of the first things to catch my eye on the F3 and I wanted to preserve that so I went with QD. No regrets.

Also OP, you might add a picture of Bodis.

#14 ·
Feel free.

Here's another gem I penned when in the US Navy:

I don't mind the Human Race, it's people I can't stand.

#25 ·
SC or HP all day long

Better gas flow and more power

I've not gone though all the posts but it's obvious on the triple pipe (i have a qd) that they are not efficient

At the same time unless i was tracking it loads or racing i would stick with the triple

It just looks better for me personally

#35 ·
Damn, Chris...that is radical!
(Marine Bio minor in college...)

#36 ·
LOL.

As a potential F3 800 owner appreciating all the feedback from the forum.

Test rode an S1000rr last weekend - BMW dealer lend me one for 4 days!!
I find the bike too physically big and seams heavy - also suspension is designed for someone who is 85KG and I'm 65 so I'd need to do something with the suspension.

Test riding the F3 and GSX-R750 next weekend
Sitting on these they seem lots smaller than the S1000 although the numbers on size and weight are close. Its wierd i guess as few CM's and KG either way makes a big difference when only 5'7"

ridden Ducati's before ... but don't really like the twin.

#45 ·
not sure what exhaust it is bue here goes..
HP Corse hydroform, got one on my F3 800, with no Db killer it's loud.
http://www.hpcorse.com/en/moto#!/Category/489
I'm running the larger diameter attenuator and it's tolerable but suspect the performance is down slightly compared to stock muffler.

Would have preferred the Arrow race high pipe but couldn't find anyone who would supply to Aus and I think the muffler and link pipe only work with their headers.

#49 ·
I know this topic is kinda old but i'd like to hand in my 2 cents worth.
It's not always about performance but most of the time it's about looks as stated before.
The vast majority here will never drive the MV to the best of it's abillities so performance isn't an issue for most.
We all agree that for pure performance a single pipe is the way to go (flow and weight).

Sure, the factory 3 pipes give it that unique look but looking at it after having such a bike for a year or more will not give most people the same
joy as the first time they saw it.
Kinda like rims on a car. You can have beautifull factory wheels on a car but most people get used to that look after time and they want something else.
The single exhaust will change the overall look dramaticly.
For those that don't want to stray too far from the factory look there are plenty of 3 pipe alternatives.

Let's not forget that SOUND also plays a part and is ofcourse subjective but when it comes to sound you have a million choices when it comes to a single pipe and they pretty much all cost a lot less.

I personally will probably swing both ways and enjoy the factory exhaust for a while but i know 100% that eventually i will switch it for something else and i am not ruling out a single pipe.

#50 ·
I Never read this thread before either, but I think it's a flawed question...
The ONLY REASON I discovered MV, and subsequently joined this forum, was the stock F4 exhaust I saw pictures of over a decade ago... And that's 4 into 1.

IT doesn't compare with what makes a track bike appealing to me. Can't stand the look of winglets, but if they make faster laps, winglets are awesome... on a bike that has no need for lights, mirrors, etc.

On the roads, the original F4 has the best looking exhaust of all time IMO, and sounds beautiful too.
I believe that's what MV was trying to extend to the more modern F3, and I think they got it right.

#51 ·
On the roads, the original F4 has the best looking exhaust of all time IMO, and sounds beautiful too.
I believe that's what MV was trying to extend to the more modern F3, and I think they got it right.

Most people have no idea about this, but Tamburini actually hired a Pipe Organ Designer/Tuner to establish the MV Agusta exhaust note.

It is a design feature that is quiet at idle and fairly sings at pace.:smoking:

Reactions: esq'z me and Nesca
#52 ·
I for one cannot deny that the stock design is gorgeous in the looks department.. My bike came with a AFM slip on, and it sounded horrible, and had to go!
I opted for a high mount based on the power, and also it still looks pretty damn good, but sounds proper.

#55 · (Edited)
While I really like the looks of the stock F3 exhaust on my 800 RC, it sounds terrible at low RPMs.
The RC bikes come with the SC Project carbon exhaust which I will install this weekend. I like the looks of it, but I agree it breaks with the F3 lines a bit.

I don't understand why the SC Project exhaust for the RC models is low-mounted and not high-mounted as the other SC Project exhaust models for the F3, which looks MUCH better.

https://sc-project.com.au/mv-agusta-f3-675-800-exhaust-sc-project/

I will look into buying just the high-mount pipe from SC Project for that cleaner race-look.

#56 ·
While I really like the looks of the stock F3 exhaust on my 800 RC, it sounds terrible at low RPMs.
The RC bikes come with the SC Project carbon exhaust which I will install this weekend. I like the looks of it, but I agree it breaks with the F3 lines a bit.

I don't understand why the SC Project exhaust for the RC models is low-mounted and not high-mounted as the other SC Project exhaust models for the F3, which looks MUCH better.

https://sc-project.com.au/mv-agusta-f3-675-800-exhaust-sc-project/

I will look into buying just the high-mount pipe from SC Project for that cleaner race-look.

Knowing MV, they were to cheap to spring for the additional cost in material & SC didn't want to send out the high mount that it sells on the market.... Possibly the same reason why SC is using a Carbon fiber can instead of the titanium one, cost savings for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.