MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would people put single exhaust on the F3? In my opinion, triple exhaust is what makes the F3 unique.. and makes it look like an art, sort of like musical instrument.

Just by doing quick Google search, I came up with these single exhausts, I'm sure I have missed some, but I wonder why they're so popular??

Termignoni

SC Project

Yoshimura

Hindle

HP Corse

Arrow

GPR

Zard

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its form before function. For me for something to be beautiful its form must heighten its function - not detract from it.

For me a Harley is disgusting - it takes the concept of a motorcycle, and through "style" reduces the function of a motorcycle, aka it makes it heavy, poor handling etc.

For me the three pipes do nothing functionally. The header is 3 into 1. This is then split into 3 pipes purely for decoration. In doing so the silencer becomes heavier than it needs to be. This is on a sports bike where weight is king and people will be buying carbon and titanium bits to loose a few grams. OK so we're not talking Harlyesq like gaffs here, but it is a small example of form before function.

So I look at the 3 pipes, that some people love and rave about and think "oh no what a gaff" .. perhaps that's the engineer in me

The rest of the bike : 100% beautiful though, and probably the best bike avialable at 173kg ... which is why I'm probably going to get one

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have a high level arrow exhaust, the reason being is the triple exit exhausts don't look the most efficient way for exhaust gases to exit the bike as Post above states headers 3 into 1 why bother going back into 3. And second is noise levels. You will not find a triple exit can to pass track noise regs.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with dudman,

And i also don't like the ones on the Pictures above. Try to remove the wheel without removing the muffler...
That's the reason for the high mount.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I like the longer Termi for the track and the 3 pipes for the road. Re the 4 pics above, like the Silmoto although I hate the Silmoto quad pipes for the F4, hate the 2nd pic, hate the 3rd pic....those weird shaped ends....what a f**ken joke, hate the collector in particular in pic 4.

I would always replace the 3 pipes with a single for the track, possibly on the road though I really like the look of the MV pipes

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Triple pipes for me every time.
Unless you're racing your F3 you don't need to worry about anything else, weight down there will never be felt by most riding on the road in any case.
If you want an R6, buy one.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Its form before function. For me for something to be beautiful its form must heighten its function - not detract from it.

For me a Harley is disgusting - it takes the concept of a motorcycle, and through "style" reduces the function of a motorcycle, aka it makes it heavy, poor handling etc.

For me the three pipes do nothing functionally. The header is 3 into 1. This is then split into 3 pipes purely for decoration. In doing so the silencer becomes heavier than it needs to be. This is on a sports bike where weight is king and people will be buying carbon and titanium bits to loose a few grams. OK so we're not talking Harlyesq like gaffs here, but it is a small example of form before function.

So I look at the 3 pipes, that some people love and rave about and think "oh no what a gaff" .. perhaps that's the engineer in me

The rest of the bike : 100% beautiful though, and probably the best bike avialable at 173kg ... which is why I'm probably going to get one
Exactly...I got flack on here for my high mount EvolutionBike exhaust. Opinions are like butts everyone has one. The triple pipes also cost 1.5x or more than single exits. The race teams went with single pipes for a reason.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I will say the the only 3 exit that I like the look of is the Silmotor one. The stock one looks much cleaner than any other 3 exit aftermarket one other than the one I stated.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Some of those singles are just flat out disgusting. Now of course I fully realize that it is a single pipe coming from the manifold; the 3-in-1 is just making it look fancy. Well for me, that fanciness on the stock exhaust was one of the first things to catch my eye on the F3 and I wanted to preserve that so I went with QD. No regrets.

Also OP, you might add a picture of Bodis.

·
Super Moderator
23,083 Posts

.. perhaps that's the engineer in me

Don't, because you won't appreciate it's style. Buy a Gixxer.:ahhh:

On the subject of HD, it does what a motorcycle should do very well. If you like two up touring in comfort...you can't compare the two.
You probably haven't ridden one, have you...? Two up, packed for a weekend, I keep up with the local Ducati group on my 980 pound Ultra.:jsm:

I have a high level arrow exhaust, the reason being is the triple exit exhausts don't look the most efficient way for exhaust gases to exit the bike as Post above states headers 3 into 1 why bother going back into 3. And second is noise levels. You will not find a triple exit can to pass track noise regs.
Funny, that statement....the stock cans pass.

Triple pipes for me every time.
Unless you're racing your F3 you don't need to worry about anything else, weight down there will never be felt by most riding on the road in any case.
If you want an R6, buy one.
Spot on Dons...careful, you might upset the sensibilities of the Boy Racer crowd.

Exactly...I got flack on here for my high mount EvolutionBike exhaust. Opinions are like butts everyone has one. The triple pipes also cost 1.5x or more than single exits. The race teams went with single pipes for a reason.
Yes...because they are RACING.

Disclaimer: Opinions are like assholes. Everybody is one.:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
23,083 Posts
Feel free.

Here's another gem I penned when in the US Navy:

I don't mind the Human Race, it's people I can't stand.

·
Registered
114 Posts
And i also don't like the ones on the Pictures above. Try to remove the wheel without removing the muffler...
That's the reason for the high mount.
I have the stubby Termi can on mine (it came with the bike when I bought it). I kind of wish I had the high mount, because I am changing tires several times a year, and I do have to remove the can every freaking time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have the stubby Termi can on mine (it came with the bike when I bought it). I kind of wish I had the high mount, because I am changing tires several times a year, and I do have to remove the can every freaking time.
Hmm I was just about to order one ... is it this one?

its model MV10094TV

Its supposed to be designed for racing , aka changing tyres multiple times a day... so if you can't change the wheel with it on its pointless so thanks for the heads-up

·
Registered
17 Posts
Don't, because you won't appreciate it's style. Buy a Gixxer.:ahhh:
I actually I don't really appreciate its style. I am buying it because its the highest performing bike between a 600 and 1000 .. and better than the gixxer. if the gixxer 750 was better - I would certainly buy it and save myself £3000!!

[/QUOTE]

On the subject of HD, it does what a motorcycle should do very well. If you like two up touring in comfort...
you've got to be kidding me right????

[/QUOTE]

Spot on Dons...careful, you might upset the sensibilities of the Boy Racer crowd.
.. that would be nice, think I'm more like an oldman racer :f4:

Disclaimer: Opinions are like assholes. Everybody is one.:popcorn:
Actually shouldn't that be "everybody has one" :drummer:

·
Super Moderator
23,083 Posts
No.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hmm I was just about to order one ... is it this one?

its model MV10094TV

Its supposed to be designed for racing , aka changing tyres multiple times a day... so if you can't change the wheel with it on its pointless so thanks for the heads-up
Yep that's the one I have. It really isn't that bad to pull off the can, it is just three bolts and 2-3 extra minutes to take it off, and another 2-3 minutes to put it back on.

If you notice, the WSS team uses Arrow high mount (I also think that is what Javelin was using when he was racing the MV in MotoAmerica).

1 - 20 of 69 Posts