MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local dealer has an '09 Brute 1078 with 400 miles on it. I fell instantly for the looks and provenance (as they say on Barrett-Jackson auctions) I have ridden for many years and owned most all brands at one time or another. I worry about service, nearest dealer in Chicago 140 miles away, and the costs associated with ownership. My current ride is a Suzuki Bandit which is a great all around bike but has no "head turning ability or class" in my opinion. Anyway, as the title line said, why so many low miles Brutes for sale?? What's wrong that I am not seeing on this site or on my test ride with these bikes? I want this bike but can't find the balls to "pull the trigger." Put my mind at ease fellows

TIA

Knobby

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
The first service is at 600 miles so take it for a longer test ride and have them service it as part of the purchase agreement.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I actually looked at the bike....it is pretty clean and certainly nice. I was talking to them about it and from what I heard is that the previous owner bought it, then test rode a Street Fighter, fell in love and traded his Brutale.

As mentioned above....they can pretty much do the regular service (oil change etc.) as well...they cannot do any specialized (or warranty) work since the are missing the tools etc.

I am trying to convince Bill to add MV to his shop....so far...without success.... :(

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Most MV owners have multiple bikes, and few choose to use their MV for daily use, touring or trackdays, hence low miles.
They are as reliable as any, though there is assuredly a price premium for parts and labor vs. Japanese brands.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
They probably buy one (a Brutale that is) then realised they should have had a F4 all along:naughty:

.....says he, sitting back waiting for the responses from our Brutale mounted friends.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Same in the UK mate, plenty of unbelieveably low mileage MV's around. Some people buy them just to look at them, others barely ride. Myself, I'll be racking up plenty of miles on mine - they're too nice not to be out on at every opportunity!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Same in the UK mate, plenty of unbelieveably low mileage MV's around. Some people buy them just to look at them, others barely ride. Myself, I'll be racking up plenty of miles on mine - they're too nice not to be out on at every opportunity!
The same here in norway, lots of bikes for sale with low milage. Its realy a shame. Many are just posers i guess, just drive to nearest place with people and park it :jerkoff:

·
Registered
311 Posts
Seconding everyone else's opinion here Knobby - I just recently purchased a low mile 910S - nothing wrong with it but low miles - in my case the owner was a track guy and just not into street riding anymore.

I personally think alot of MV purchasers are well to do guys that want to get into it and then not so much after they buy. Me i'm a street rider (I'll never do a track day because of the financial and time commitments) who got a great deal on a sweet bike-I ride a lot. I've put 1,500 miles on it in 5 or 6 weeks - and i've been taking it easy on the weekend group rides this year.

Just buy it and give it what it needs - a beating in the twisties!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I think some people buy it and think it is a laid back standard bike, compared to a full on sportbike and are surprised by the performance of the bike. I have been riding for over 30 years on the street and track I am still amazed by its performance. Bought mine in March of 2007 and it just turned over 15,000 miles and runs just fine.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Several valid points are made above. I agree, the recession has impacted the price/value of vehicles. However, it's hard to put a finger on it, but I think that the value of MVs (and Ducs) has been significantly impacted for the following reasons (in addition to the economy). There are several types of MV owners: the collector, rider, racer, and wanna-be collector. As the economy dropped, MVs started to hit the market. It was the wanna-be who was most concerned with the value of the bike. They are the forum members who comment that any MV with more than 3000 miles is "high mileage". The wanna-be purchased an MV with the expectation that they were making an investment. The wanna-be announces that they are a collector after buying their first MV (which is more than likely their only bike).
Early on, MV was the first to unload models from HQ and in storage. Remember all the 0 mile Oros and SPRs that popped up a year ago. Now you are seeing additional owners put their bikes up for sale. As the prices drop, these bikes are available to a new market segment.

I have yet to mention the emotional component attached to MV ownership - very important. This is something that's difficult to assign a dollar value. As you can see, MV owners loooooooooove their bikes (self included). Most MV owners are quick to discount other bikes, especially Japanese. However, you'll find most do it in jest. Once again, it is the wanna-be who will make inflammatory remarks about Japanese bikes and how they are inferior all the while praising the hand-made Italian and hiding behind the "IMO", but stating it as fact. We have been treated like Oakland Raider fans. Al Davis sh!ts on his fans and they (fans) respond by thanking Al and asking for more. But we are faithful and simultaneously talk about how Harley Davidson or maybe even a former MV designer is going to save the day. I am trying to maintain an optimistic outlook, but I feel the economy may get worse before it gets better, thus delaying MV progress.

You are in a good position to join the family. If you do, you won't regret it. Well maybe the first time you have to haul it 100+ miles for warranty work, you'll be growling. However, once you get it back and take it for a ride you'll say, "what was I complaining about?"

Keep us in the loop.

Enjoy.

A local dealer has an '09 Brute 1078 with 400 miles on it. I fell instantly for the looks and provenance (as they say on Barrett-Jackson auctions) I have ridden for many years and owned most all brands at one time or another. I worry about service, nearest dealer in Chicago 140 miles away, and the costs associated with ownership. My current ride is a Suzuki Bandit which is a great all around bike but has no "head turning ability or class" in my opinion. Anyway, as the title line said, why so many low miles Brutes for sale?? What's wrong that I am not seeing on this site or on my test ride with these bikes? I want this bike but can't find the balls to "pull the trigger." Put my mind at ease fellows

TIA

Knobby

·
Registered
327 Posts
Several valid points are made above. I agree, the recession has impacted the price/value of vehicles. However, it's hard to put a finger on it, but I think that the value of MVs (and Ducs) has been significantly impacted for the following reasons (in addition to the economy). There are several types of MV owners: the collector, rider, racer, and wanna-be collector. As the economy dropped, MVs started to hit the market. It was the wanna-be who was most concerned with the value of the bike. They are the forum members who comment that any MV with more than 3000 miles is "high mileage". The wanna-be purchased an MV with the expectation that they were making an investment. The wanna-be announces that they are a collector after buying their first MV (which is more than likely their only bike).
Early on, MV was the first to unload models from HQ and in storage. Remember all the 0 mile Oros and SPRs that popped up a year ago. Now you are seeing additional owners put their bikes up for sale. As the prices drop, these bikes are available to a new market segment.

I have yet to mention the emotional component attached to MV ownership - very important. This is something that's difficult to assign a dollar value. As you can see, MV owners loooooooooove their bikes (self included). Most MV owners are quick to discount other bikes, especially Japanese. However, you'll find most do it in jest. Once again, it is the wanna-be who will make inflammatory remarks about Japanese bikes and how they are inferior all the while praising the hand-made Italian and hiding behind the "IMO", but stating it as fact. We have been treated like Oakland Raider fans. Al Davis sh!ts on his fans and they (fans) respond by thanking Al and asking for more. But we are faithful and simultaneously talk about how Harley Davidson or maybe even a former MV designer is going to save the day. I am trying to maintain an optimistic outlook, but I feel the economy may get worse before it gets better, thus delaying MV progress.

You are in a good position to join the family. If you do, you won't regret it. Well maybe the first time you have to haul it 100+ miles for warranty work, you'll be growling. However, once you get it back and take it for a ride you'll say, "what was I complaining about?"

Keep us in the loop.

Enjoy.
+100:yo:

·
Registered
4,587 Posts
I wish I'd seen a 1078 Brutale with only 400 miles before I bought mine and paid 'the full whack' of £14000. What you're getting here is an absolutely fantastic bike that may as well be brand new for thousands off the list price!!. It hasn't even had it's first service!!. Yeah I agree with the guys the recession has got to be a big reason for this because these bikes are at the high end price bracket, And with insurance and service (parts,labour etc) when your job is at risk and money in general is tight then usually one of the first things that (the wife) says has gotta go is that bike that 'took all our savings'! Especially if it's sitting in the garage...'like an ornament' because you just like to 'know it's there...don't wanna get too many miles on it and ...well I think it 'might' rain.., so I'll not use it today...I'll take the old 'Bandit' instead. If I was you I'd go for it, it's a class act and someone else's loss can be your gain.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Most MV owners have multiple bikes, and few choose to use their MV for daily use, touring or trackdays, hence low miles.
They are as reliable as any, though there is assuredly a price premium for parts and labor vs. Japanese brands.
I agree with Mr Proton Fazer.

Italian bikes generally have low mileage to the point where they either never ride it, only track it or it's one of a few bikes they own.

I would tend to err towards one of a few bikes. When i had my F4 it was one of 3 bikes i had at the time. Some guys on here have 5+ bikes and only ride on weekends. When you spread your riding across all of them it's easy to keep the mileage low.

·
Registered
115 Posts
One of my riding buddies has a 910R with fairly low milage he'd like to sell. He bought it for its looks and reputation but I can see that he's quite afraid if it.

·
Administrator
18,862 Posts
The high mileage MVs belong to actual motorcyclists who don't put them up for sale right away....

unlike the riders who put them up for sale at low miles after they realize they can't actually ride a high performance motorcycle.

:drummer:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just buy it!! I love mine.. I was torn between the DUC SF but so happy I didn't buy the Ducati. I enjoy Ducati as well just not the SF. I have put almost 1000miles on my 1078 in a couple months and can't ride it enough.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
The high mileage MVs belong to actual motorcyclists who don't put them up for sale right away....

unlike the riders who put them up for sale at low miles after they realize they can't actually ride a high performance motorcycle.

:drummer:
LMAO - Eddy, you and I definitely cut from the same clothe. These bikes love to be ridden and give you so much in return.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Not sure how far you want to travel for a purchase, but Fay Myers in Denver still has a 09 1078 Brute u can get for 13000. DIA is a big airport, cheap flights!

i just bought an 08 910r with 3400 miles...put about 500 on it and the bike is in amazing shape, runs incredible...

I can't speak for the guy who traded it in, but I'm guessing the comments already posted cover his reason for stepping down.

Buy it, turn some heads...even your own!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys are killing me----but what about the rear bearings, the plastic fans, 25 MPG, (not really too important to me) overheating and dragging the thing through Chicago traffic for service? I'm a senior rider who does NOT flog a bike like you young bucks but do enjoy having the power available when the mood strikes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts