MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fell in love with the f4 agusta. was close to purchasing one off ebay, but canada(ontario) does not allow these bikes. On the riv website the mv agusta is not on the list of "admissible" bikes. this totally sucks. anyone try to import one or know any loop holes.
thx

·
Registered
576 Posts
Know of more than a few at various sportbike forums very interested in bringing/importing the MV into Canada. If you want to see some perspective about this, the frustrations, travails, and details, enter something like "import mv agusta canada" into Google.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It's down to the importer/factory to put it through regional homologation testing. That's not cheap. Though considering Canada respects most of the US DOT standards for vehicles and equipment, I'd have thought the MV would comply by definition. Perhaps not. Perhaps MV can't afford to affix bilingual stickers.

Si

·
Ball & Chain magnet
3,027 Posts
is the French government :hump: that pissed at Italian products?

·
Registered
181 Posts
There are a few Agusta's in Canada. I've seen an F4 on Weston and 7 in Woodbridge, ON. Have a look in the registry. You should be able to find someone that can help.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Maybe MV does not support curling enough??? :naughty: :naughty: :blah: :blah:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
There are a few Agusta's in Canada.
True, there are a few. But no way of doing it completely by the book.

There are essentially 5 ways of owning an MV in Canada:

1) Register it at a US address. (Maybe you work cross-border?)
2) Come to Canada as a visitor (on a work/study permit) and bring it with you. You are not allowed to sell it and it has to leave when you do.
3) Hope the person at the DMV is clueless, or is a friend and knows how to circumvent the system.
4) Work for the government department that is allowed to import vehicles for testing purposes. (My old friend's neigbour did that and used to come home in stuff no-one else had ever seen.)
5) Conceal the bike's identity by transfering the frame and engine numbers from something else, and hope you don't get caught.

If anyone that actually owns one in Canada wants to add their method to the list, feel free.

Note that it's even impossible to import one for use on the track if it's a model that was originally sold for the road, even if it is not in road trim. So you can import a Veltro, but not a road MV.

Si

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the suggestions; if I could use a buddies us address, your saying i could reg'd it using that. so i would need to plate it in the states. so i'd have us plates. cool idea. got me thinking. the only problem is insurance in if anything was to happen to the bike the insurance company would not cover it thus its inadmissible. but they would still take your money.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
It was just an idea. I'm not saying it's guaranteed to work.

I don't know whether it is required to be insured at your normal residence or where it is normally kept. In the UK they want to know both in case you do keep it somewhere else. (i.e. If you live in a flat and keep it in your parents' garage nearby.) But if they suspected that you'd been untruthful then yes they could void a claim.

I don't want to give the impression that I encourage you to break the law. The MV is not road legal in Canada and there's no way to get one imported permanently. Whichever way you choose, there'll be some risk.

Si

·
Registered
69 Posts
My Mv In Canada

Hello everyone, I see there is some new interest in bringing MV's into Canada. I am one of the few who did it, 2002 F4( Legally). It was not easy and I don't recommend trying it. I did it 2 years ago. It was a huge hassle and only worth doing because it was an MV. For obvious reasons I will not go into details on the forum. If you would like more info on how it may be possible, you can email me off site. I will not charge anyone for the info, but if you get a MV1000 registered in my area you dam well better let my try it!!

[email protected]

·
Registered
75 Posts
I brought in an AGO when they first came out. It was legal then, it is not now. I was also lucky in the way things transpired.

The only way to do it now is import in pieces, and register it as a custom build. There is a specific process for that, that varies by province. In principle it should work. I know it has worked for a couple of people. But it is not guaranteed. And good luck returning a bike that you have taken apart thoroughly.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Hoser Buds: It's mid June....half of Canada is still snowed in, and you guys can't ride MV's, eh? What's up with that? :stickpoke Just kiddin....I love Canada, and Canadians. The Canadian Rockies make ours look like foot hills. That being said, it's mid June, and half of Canada is still snowed in. Oh wait, I already said that, didn't I? :blah:

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Still wondering why exactly this bike is not admissable??????????

:wtf: :wtf: :wtf: I've seen Porsches and Lambos in the Thunder Bay area. Whats the difference ?

·
Registered
69 Posts
What year is your Mito? Anything over 15 years old is admissable to Canada. My 2002 MV Agusta 750 F4 is currently for sale in Toronto, Ontario with a clear Canadian title.

Steve

1 - 20 of 26 Posts