MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What am I missing here? Almost all of them have started to do this, mostly with their left leg going into a left corner. I didn't see ANYONE do this two years ago...

·
Administrator
20,103 Posts
down shifting and getting foot clear from under the lever???? stretching the leg from cramping due to very small ergonomics???

good question, I notice it too.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Rossi started it (that I noticed anyway) - there must be a fairy small amount of extra wind resistance under braking, compared to a loss of control with having your foot in the air - I'll have to try it sometime (on the other hand maybe not).

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Eh? Deja Vu? There actually was the exact same question over on DucatiSpot a couple of days ago...the conclusion there was that it is a balance thing but it seems that none of the racers ever disclosed further details...

you can read through the thread here...

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I think it is like the dirt bike thing. Hanging the leg out front adds weight to the front wheel to improve traction. My $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
RobP, even though off-topic....your avatar is just great....great picture of a cute baby...

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I have in my mind, somewhere deep, that this is due to vibrations on some bikes. If I remember correctly not all of them do that.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i thought it was the 'oh shit i'm going too fast' reaction of desperation. i used to do it on my ten speed. like sticking your foot out will help you slow down...flintstone style! :laughing:

·
The Machinist
2,448 Posts
What am I missing here? Almost all of them have started to do this, mostly with their left leg going into a left corner. I didn't see ANYONE do this two years ago...

Cause Rossi was doing it. Everyone else wanted to be cool like him. Pedrosa was the first one to replicate it. :jerkoff:

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
The commentators at the Motegi round mentioned that it was because it helps turn the bike in due to more wind resistance dragging on the leg. Why do they do this only entering left hand turns? Maybe, and this is a guess, they use a little rear brake just before entering right and left turns so the right foot is on the brake pedal as they enter a right hand turn.
Sure looks freaky when they do it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The commentators at the Motegi round mentioned that it was because it helps turn the bike in due to more wind resistance dragging on the leg. Why do they do this only entering left hand turns? Maybe, and this is a guess, they use a little rear brake just before entering right and left turns so the right foot is on the brake pedal as they enter a right hand turn.
Sure looks freaky when they do it.
Yea - I heard the announcers say something like that, "You can see their left leg dangling to help get the bike turned in", but I'm not sure I buy it.

Followup question - Why does it seem that they aren't backing it in or stepping out the back end as much as they did, say, four years ago? Something to do with the 2stroke->4stroke conversion?

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Its to help balance and stabilize the bike while breaking and stepping the back end out. Similar to how a dirt bike or flat track use their foot for balance...or at least that's the best I can think of

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Followup question - Why does it seem that they aren't backing it in or stepping out the back end as much as they did, say, four years ago? Something to do with the 2stroke->4stroke conversion?
The electronics help keep the back wheel planted and prevent some of the sliding around, even while under braking. And stepping the back out might be harder on the tires. I remember a race a where Hayden was riding hard stepping the back end out and spinning the wheel around every corner and drove his tires to shreds 6laps before the finish.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
May be they just do it so that people like us can guess about why they are doing it in the first place.... :later:

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
i thought it was the 'oh shit i'm going too fast' reaction of desperation. i used to do it on my ten speed. like sticking your foot out will help you slow down...flintstone style! :laughing:
So essentially you are saying that Rossi and the others actually stole your move... :D

·
Living the Dream
2,758 Posts
I think they do it to give their gear a break from being smashed against the tank! Or maybe what all of you have said.

I do know one thing, if they had a 10 speed like Fred, they could go 500 miles per hour, just think of what they would dangle going that fast!!!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
im no rossi, but I can run a decent pace when in the zone....i do it occasionally.

I do it occasionally mostly on accident.....when doing very quick / hard transitions I try to put all my weight on the outside peg, thus unloading the inside peg...sometimes my foot will come off the peg.......
kinda like carving a hard turn on snow skis, the inside ski is just barely skimming the ground.

I cant wait to hear the comments, but think about it next time you are running at full tilt with quick back and forth transitions.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
RobP, even though off-topic....your avatar is just great....great picture of a cute baby...
Yes, yes he is......thank you very much.......:naughty:

1 - 20 of 44 Posts