MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody. I keep reading that it's in our best interests to change the fuel lines out every 2 years. My bike was stored for 8 years when I bought it. Obviously it had no fuel in the tank. I pulled the tank apart last week and the hoses and everything looks and feels brand new! I don't know if it's the Factory tubing but it sure looks like it. Still has the click r clamps on it. Should I leave it be or change them while the tank is off? Bike has 3600km on it now and is being stored for winter. Thanks!

·
Registered
819 Posts
I haven't come across the "every 2 years" thing. If the lines are in good shape then there is no need. I think folks tend to swap out lines due to taking out all the junk that is not needed inside the tank.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
Swissinn, because the bike was stored sans fuel, the degradation that occurs while the lines are submerged did not take place. Fuel is a very difficult environment for submerged rubber.

There will come a time when the lines will become a bit slimy and swell a tad. When that happens, the discharge line from your fuel pump will disengage from the outlet to the injection rail. When that happens, your bike will not run until you reattach the fuel line. This has happened to many, including me, and it will happen to you. Just not now.

If things are solid and look to be in good repair, then leave it alone.

When your bike will not run....and it is for no apparent reason, check the fuel lines.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Swissinn, because the bike was stored sans fuel, the degradation that occurs while the lines are submerged did not take place. Fuel is a very difficult environment for submerged rubber.

There will come a time when the lines will become a bit slimy and swell a tad. When that happens, the discharge line from your fuel pump will disengage from the outlet to the injection rail. When that happens, your bike will not run until you reattach the fuel line. This has happened to many, including me, and it will happen to you. Just not now.

If things are solid and look to be in good repair, then leave it alone.

When your bike will not run....and it is for no apparent reason, check the fuel lines.
Excellent. Thanks very much guys.

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
page B10 service manual

"fuel tubes"
"substitution.....At least every three years"

there you go

:)

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
Noel, would you do that if the tubes were sitting on the shelf?

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
For myself, I'd bin the fuel filter . I've had fuel pumps sat in a cupboard in storage and when the filter comes off it's got alot of fuel residing in it. 8 years old fuel hmmm
and while I was doing that I would pull those fuel lines, fit some decent metal cpc connectors and get serious with my bike cuz in today's traffic you do not want it suddenly dying on you or suddenly losing the get up and go on a bend.

What are we talking about here ? a bit of effort and a bit of fuel line....and 8 years is kinda pushin it a bit...It's like having a Guinness in a pub that hardly sells any. You really don't want the first one that's been sitting in the line ; )

and you live in Canada..What else is there to do in Canada in the winter ha ha !

but I stress that is me...:)

joe

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For myself, I'd bin the fuel filter . I've had fuel pumps sat in a cupboard in storage and when the filter comes off it's got alot of fuel residing in it. 8 years old fuel hmmm
and while I was doing that I would pull those fuel lines, fit some decent metal cpc connectors and get serious with my bike cuz in today's traffic you do not want it suddenly dying on you or suddenly losing the get up and go on a bend.

What are we talking about here ? a bit of effort and a bit of fuel line....and 8 years is kinda pushin it a bit...It's like having a Guinness in a pub that hardly sells any. You really don't want the first one that's been sitting in the line ; )

and you live in Canada..What else is there to do in Canada in the winter ha ha !

but I stress that is me...:)

joe
I see where you're coming from for sure. I could change that metal filter at the very least. But honestly it looks like the tubes just came off the showroom floor. On another note...Are you guys going to hate me if I get my Full Bodis Exhaust system ceramic coated Blue? Cuz I have that option!

·
Registered
14,741 Posts
Noel, would you do that if the tubes were sitting on the shelf?
then they wouldn't be a service items would they?

if they were stored in the dark and away from ozone........maybe

look at it this way......

the lines are cheap........if they leak the bike pisses fuel in front of YOUR

back tire......or it catches fire

its YOUR ass, you choose

I'm just old.........not stupid

change them

:popcorn:

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Are you guys going to hate me if I get my Full Bodis Exhaust system ceramic coated Blue? Cuz I have that option!
Why bother buying a full Ti system, and then get it ceramic coated (Ti), never mind blue. Few things look as nice as the colours on a Ti system.
It's your bike, your choice.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why bother buying a full Ti system, and then get it ceramic coated (Ti), never mind blue. Few things look as nice as the colours on a Ti system.
It's your bike, your choice.
Sorry I mucked that up. I'm retaining the stock headpipe. I'll be getting the Bodis Ti decatted mid pipe and the Bodis Slip on. I think that ceramic coating the heads and mid pipe should suffice for reducing under fairing temps...from what I have read on here. I also have a Ducati 1098 fan en route!

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
then they wouldn't be a service items would they?

if they were stored in the dark and away from ozone........maybe

look at it this way......

the lines are cheap........if they leak the bike pisses fuel in front of YOUR

back tire......or it catches fire

its YOUR ass, you choose

I'm just old.........not stupid

change them

They aren't replaced due to OZONE exposure. Were that the case EVERY rubber item on the bike would be a three year service item.
Those lines are normally immersed in fuel and that is why they degrade. This particular bike was stored without fuel in the tank; therefore no replacement needed IF they are in good condition and well attached.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
They aren't replaced due to OZONE exposure. Were that the case EVERY rubber item on the bike would be a three year service item.
Those lines are normally immersed in fuel and that is why they degrade. This particular bike was stored without fuel in the tank; therefore no replacement needed IF they are in good condition and well attached.
Hey Chuck,

He's probably ok but :) being the devils advocate, what about inside the lines..I bet there's fuel in there..

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
I hear what your are saying. And it's a valid consideration. If I had it all apart, I'd do the lines, but I have all the material sitting in my garage to do so.

I still don't think I'd fret over it if all appears well. Immersion damage is easy to spot and often reverses when immersion is not.:smoking:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You guys are making me second guess myself! There is no clamps on any of the fuel lines. That's weird.

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
NO CLAMPS?! Someone has been monkeying around in there. With that information, I would suspect everything and replace the lot.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
I wouldn't fret either Chuck but like you I'd probably do it on an 8 year old bike if I was facing a Canadian winter ..Geez it's long enough in New England !

joe

·
Super Moderator
24,113 Posts
It took seven years for my 312R fuel line to pop off.

Hell, I didn't notice he was in Canada....plenty of time to do much maintenance and upgrades.

Have at it swissinn!:smoking:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts