MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pops is looking for a bike. He's very intrested in getting a Bimmer, either the K1200S or R....

He wants a Bimmer, but has narrowed it down to those two bikes. I told him to get a Brutale, and give me the Bimmer as well, if he did get a Bimmer, we'de each fit on the other bikes better as he's 5'9", and I'm 6'0...so he's more suited on the Brutale, and me on the bigger bike. :tongue:

Good news is, we get to switch if he gets it.

I've read reviews about the 1200 steering lighter than it is, etc. And in the December 05 Sport Rider, they compared it to all the other naked bikes EXCEPT the Brutale. How does it ride in comparison? i.e. a comparo of the two.

But how easy is it in reality to live with? Reliability? Maintenance? I'de imagine repairs are pretty pricey, but how's the bike itself?

Thanks in advance!

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, we'll be switching back and forth, maybe even switching during some rides. He just wants something comfy, but at the same time, has balls.....

He wants refined riding experiance, but at the same time, a raw sportbike...he's pretty much describing a Brutale, but he wants a Bimmer...he just doesn't know which...

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sad, but true. The K bikes are smoooooooooooooooooooth. Sure, you have to get past the odd asthetics, but the engine, the transmission, the suspension....

Did I mention smooooooooooooooooooth?

I keep one in the garage, affectionately called "The Pig." When compared to the F4, it's most defintely a pig of a bike. But when you get out on the road, it rides on rails.

It's funny -- all the things we beef about here are completely solved on the K bike. Throttle on & off is perfectly predictible. Power is exactly linear. No strange vibrations. You can ride 600 miles in a day without surgery. Etc.

I suppose that's what makes it fun to have both. To some extent, the BMW's strengths are the MV's weaknesses, and vice versa.

Both are great bikes. You wouldn't go wrong with either.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
I test rode the S. it was pretty sweet! i wanted to ride the R but it wasn't available. Fast, smooth, all sorts of adjustables, sounds nice, etc.

The S can attach luggage. That's huge. I know people love their Brutales (like me), but touring bike it ain't.

Bimmers are pretty pricey though. The legendary service you always hear about was less than ideal in London (where my friend had a few bimmers and tons of complaints about getting stuff worked on). not sure about other regions.

Anyway, the showstopper for me is the damn indicators. !!!
(you know what i'm talking about!)

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
I finally got the wife to go 2-up with me last night on my Brutale. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but obviously not ideal. I have had my eye on the K1200S for quite some time and the moment my wife says she will ride with me more often, I am going to get it. I happen to love the styling (no, not in the same league as the F4), but for a fast sport touring machine, I don't think it can be beat.

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
spalding12 said:
the indicators are no big deal
if it takes you more than 1 day to get used to them..... then you might need to give up riding completely
I wanna hear a non-BMW rider say that!! :crazyeyes

anucci said:
I finally got the wife to go 2-up with me last night on my Brutale. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but obviously not ideal.
yeah, 2 up on it isn't great. i have to be careful with the throttle. other than that, it's not bad.... gets you from A to B.

1200S is great, give it a go!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Go K1200s if you going to trade with the Brutale. It's the perfect sport tourer. A little heavy but very refined. Great power and comfort. Some of the colors are really bad (all blue) but I think it looks good in the granite grey. All my BMW's have run flawlessly too. :conveyer:

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
TokyoLunch said:
I wanna hear a non-BMW rider say that!! :crazyeyes
actually if you ever rode a bmw you'd realize that THEIR system is actually much more intuitive than that of any other manufacturer besides HARLEY (who has the same system)

the best thing about the BMW system...
the signals cancel after 0.1 miles... so you'll never be riding down the road for miles with a signal on....
something that can happen all the time on an MV.... especially considering that the dash lights STINK in the bright light of day

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
383 Posts
Went to a BMW Dealer yesterday and checked out the k1200R's..nice but a little heavy, at least my feet touch the ground though!

All in all I think I'd rather own a Brutale...it just looks better IMO.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
spalding12 said:
the K1200R is a cool bike for sure
but.... the Brutale is INFINITELY better looking
Agree. I also think the K1200R is a good bike. But as far as looks go, I once heard it described as Frankenstein. I think that was a fair statement.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's what he wants...more of a refined cruiser. He was looking at the R cause it's naked....he digs nakey bikes. And he doesn't want to get a Brute, cause I have one...especially if we're gonna be trading off, keeps things fresh. We haven't gotten the chance to look at anything yet, but it's in the works...

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ive got a K12S...love it. I use it for longer trips or if there is gonna be lots of slab. Its got wicked power...goes like a stinker. Carves pretty well, but certainly not like my duc or F4....

Mechanically, solid as a rock. Change the can to something throatier tho, otherwise its sound like a blender on steroids- (belies the real power of the bike)

anucci said:
I finally got the wife to go 2-up with me last night on my Brutale. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be, but obviously not ideal. I have had my eye on the K1200S for quite some time and the moment my wife says she will ride with me more often, I am going to get it. I happen to love the styling (no, not in the same league as the F4), but for a fast sport touring machine, I don't think it can be beat.

·
Pimp of posts
6,301 Posts
MV Manhattan said:
Ive got a K12S...love it. I use it for longer trips or if there is gonna be lots of slab. Its got wicked power...goes like a stinker. Carves pretty well, but certainly not like my duc or F4....

Mechanically, solid as a rock. Change the can to something throatier tho, otherwise its sound like a blender on steroids- (belies the real power of the bike)
this is why i can't wait to get my 2007 K1200GT... to go along with my 910R

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 30 Posts