MV Agusta Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a position to be able to buy one of these FZR 1000 EXUP's and was wondering if any of you guys own one, or have owned one, and the pro's and Con's involved.
I'm looking for something that will help me hold on to my license, but still have some usefull power, and having owned the previous model EXUP in the past, it's a bit of a biased decision.
The price asked for the bike is very suitable to my non existing budget, so that's a big factor if any of you where wondering.
I'll be using the bike for work and back from next year, with maybe the odd ride elsewhere.
Cheers guys.

Attachments

·
Registered
926 Posts
Hi Donsy, I have had 2 of these exup's great machines, fork seals were a problem on both and the exup valve was seized on the second. Apart from that they were bullet proof, and still quick enough to keep up with the rest, even by todays standards. Cheap fast reliable fun and now starting to be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hahaha

Thanks guys, I would really love to get it, the price is just great, but the money is a bit tight due to recent work condition changes.

I know the EXUP motors very well (no Robbie, I will not ride a pink bike), and know they are very stable as far as the chassis go.

I always preferred the double headlights.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Thanks guys, I would really love to get it, the price is just great, but the money is a bit tight due to recent work condition changes.

I know the EXUP motors very well (no Robbie, I will not ride a pink bike), and know they are very stable as far as the chassis go.

I always preferred the double headlights.
Here ya go Donsy, twin headlights just as you like. And what's wrong with pink? :stickpoke
Unfortunately my buddy just sold this one. It was only a 750. But then there would be even less likelihood of getting into trouble, eh? :)

The only other EXUP model I have knowledge of was also a 750. This was Peter “Mountie” Wilson’s OW01 back when we were campaigning it with help from Yamaha Canada and Michel Mercier’s FAST school.

Of course we swapped out the EXUP for a full factory race system. :naughty:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Been looking for some pics, all I can find is my 1988 Genesis so far with R1 back end, loved that bike. I restored the Genesis and changed as I went along, I enjoy restoring and done a few lately YZ125 1991 RD125 LC and a Honda MBX 125...Thought I would ad some pics

Attachments

·
Registered
253 Posts
Here ya go Donsy, twin headlights just as you like. And what's wrong with pink? :stickpoke
Unfortunately my buddy just sold this one. It was only a 750. But then there would be even less likelihood of getting into trouble, eh? :)

The only other EXUP model I have knowledge of was also a 750. This was Peter “Mountie” Wilson’s OW01 back when we were campaigning it with help from Yamaha Canada and Michel Mercier’s FAST school.

I absolutely LOVE those 750's!!

I believe that was the first year of production and not available to the U.S.

What did your friend get for it?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I absolutely LOVE those 750's!!

I believe that was the first year of production and not available to the U.S.

What did your friend get for it?

Cheers
Yep, 1993 was the first year of production for the YZF 750.
My friend got it for a song (I think $1500) from a young guy who couldn’t afford the insurance, maintenance or storage. It was an old race bike and came with some spare fairings and other parts.
My buddy went all through the bike and detailed everything. Repaired cracked or broken plastic bits, rebuilt the brakes and carbs, polished and painted it to look right and put good rubber on it. He was debating on weather to keep it or flip it for a profit. One day the engine started to make unhealthy noises. Spun a bearing just warming it up. :jsm:
It just so happened that he had a friend who had been looking for one of these bikes and who had been bugging him to sell it. This guy made my friend an offer to buy it as is. I do not know how much but it was more then the original price plus the parts my buddy had put into it. Plus, my buddy had sold off all the spares so in the end he came out ahead. :)
His friend rebuilt the motor and now has a big smile on his face. He has a great, rare ride that is all freshened up. Win, win all around. :yo:

·
Registered
2,948 Posts

that is awesome. love it. want it

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Been looking for some pics, all I can find is my 1988 Genesis so far with R1 back end, loved that bike. I restored the Genesis and changed as I went along, I enjoy restoring and done a few lately YZ125 1991 RD125 LC and a Honda MBX 125...Thought I would ad some pics
chris the yz is stunnnnnnnning
ive got a 1992 yz250 (white and pink model) in my room waiting restoration . it was the pink i wanted as a kid, would go look at it in thw windows of bike stores, and a few years ago finally got one. (it is love man love i tell u)
and yr bike is right up there with hwo i want to restore mine. great work

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Donsey a friend of mine has the double head light model and I love the bike .(1988/1989 model) in fact I like it better than my 1999 R1 as it is more comfortable for big/tall riders. it only weighs 50lb more than another friends 2007 R1 and the FZR1000 is actually quicker on the bottom end .
IMHO one of Motorcycle histories benchmarks

·
Registered
926 Posts
chris the yz is stunnnnnnnning
ive got a 1992 yz250 (white and pink model) in my room waiting restoration . it was the pink i wanted as a kid, would go look at it in thw windows of bike stores, and a few years ago finally got one. (it is love man love i tell u)
and yr bike is right up there with hwo i want to restore mine. great work
Thanks for the positive comment, I love the early YZ's and finding it hard to sell, it looks so good in the collection! originally it was pink and white but I love the red and white early colours hence the scheme......runs sweet too. I have no idea what its worth as I cannot find another in the world for sale in this condition, added a few more pics...Good luck with your restoration, a lot of time and effort is needed to source parts, I went to a bearing supplier rather than Yamaha as they were a tenth of the price, I purchased like for like of course, give us a picture when you can!

Attachments

·
Registered
895 Posts
Not to worry Dons, I'm sure I will end up buying it myself eventually, Andre has been talking about selling it for two years but has never advertised it. Hey, I may even let you have a ride on it one day.;)

·
Super Moderator
22,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You just make sure he hangs onto it Greg, next year might be a different story.
I'm studying at the moment, so we'll see what work bring next year, might even see us move back to Perth somewhere.:conveyer:
Did you get signed up for next weekends RideDays ? I'll ring you this arvo after work if I'm still in one piece mate. :)

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I know what you mean Donsy, I'm looking at new bikes too but feeling a bit selfish about it.

We've just bought another YZ85 for the kids, my mate says "stop buying bikes for the kids and buy yourself a new one". Makes the kids happy though...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts