MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an indepth discussion at work today...
The term wearing a pair of pants has come under a microscope at the office.
Does anyone really wear a pair of pants or do you wear 1 pant?? You don't wear sleeves on your body, you wear a shirt...
I think we might have a serious flaw in the english language on our hands here gentlemen/women.....

·
Super Moderator
2,486 Posts
Also, although you wear a shirt, it has a sleeve for each arm, thus "sleeves". A better discussion may be why tubes of fabric on shirts are "sleeves", but tubes of fabric on trousers are "pants", or "pant legs"...Are they not also sleeves?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
But panties have no legs and they are a pair

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
:banghead: Oh perhaps the BIG ones do :ahhh:

·
Registered
922 Posts
The language has rules and exceptions. The only flaws are in the usage. And if enough people use language that way, we accept the flaw as colloquialism, dialect or in the case of North America, it's still called English. Ha!

I shouldn't be so cruel seeing as over here we speak Singlish, which is a polygamous union of local dialects and English. To the untrained ear, it's almost gibberish. To us, it's so standard that unlearning it to speak regular English is a real struggle.

Sorry, were we talking about how many pairs of panties to wear today...?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
from the mellon smasher, gallagher

we drive on the "parkway", but park on the "driveway"?
we live in APARTments, but there all bunched together.
why are they cowboys? cows are girls. bulls are boys. they ought to be cowgirls and bullboys.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You have all raised valid points, our office has decided to boycott the word pant/pants and replace it with the word smack. There has a certain ring to black dress smack, that is just undenyable to us.

·
Registered
922 Posts
redmands said:
You have all raised valid points, our office has decided to boycott the word pant/pants and replace it with the word smack. There has a certain ring to black dress smack, that is just undenyable to us.
Nice one. I was going to suggest 'Longs' but that's too dull for words.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I may be wrong but I think it was George Bernard Shaw that said something like few people think more than twice or three times a year, but he made an international reputation for himself by thinking once or twice a week.

So let's just say we were busy thinking. Ha!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Rad,
Changing topic for a moment...slow day in Singapore (helping wife with a difficult email). How are things in Bath?

·
Registered
161 Posts
great, but am in london today - i commute 3 or 4 times a week on the brutale on the M4. i know the brutale is not an ideal commuting bike but i love it more than any other bike i've ever owned! how's singapore?!

·
Registered
922 Posts
john348 said:
do you mean trousers?
Welcome John348 to the thinking man/woman's thread of the day. Among other things, posting here will up your daily average. To quote Eddie Murphy, "Whata bargain!"

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
radskeyboard said:
great, but am in london today - i commute 3 or 4 times a week on the brutale on the M4. i know the brutale is not an ideal commuting bike but i love it more than any other bike i've ever owned! how's singapore?!

ouch, yeah. Especially on the M4 (or any motorway outside the M25 that isn't a parking lot). That's a long way to hold on to the bike.....

1 - 20 of 29 Posts