MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've just put new chain, and front/rear sprockets. Stuck with standard sizing for everything and a DID chain.

Did a couple of round the block rides and checked torque settings etc... all is well. Went for a little ride on the open road and there is a whining noise that comes on about 80/90kph... up to about 120. The only way I can explain it is it's like a synchromesh sound.

It's only when the power is on, as soon as you back off the throttle it disappears.

I've triple checked chain tightness and nothing is getting hot (eg hub etc).

Any ideas on what this could be or where to check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Hi Simon.
Must be quite loud if you can hear it at those speeds over the wind & engine noise.

Is it possible that the supplier has supplied a 525 sprocket or sprockets?
The chain, I assume, is a 530 pitch, yes?

That's all I can think of.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Simon.
Must be quite loud if you can hear it at those speeds over the wind & engine noise.

Is it possible that the supplier has supplied a 525 sprocket or sprockets?
The chain, I assume, is a 530 pitch, yes?

That's all I can think of.

Standard is 525. Sprokets forum sponsor... got the chain from the local MV dealer. Will check that when home again.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Thanks.
Now, looking at the picture you supplied, and as I don't own a Brutale I am not certain if this is true for a Brutie but it is for an F4 - when adjusting the tension of an F4 chain the centre of the chain is supposed to be 6mm below the lowest point of the lower swingarm guard.
Yours looks to be quite a bit above that making me think that the chain may be tensioned too tightly.

I have a suspicion that the Brutie chain is set with a different method to the F4 but I thought I'd point that out.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
Now, looking at the picture you supplied, and as I don't own a Brutale I am not certain if this is true for a Brutie but it is for an F4 - when adjusting the tension of an F4 chain the centre of the chain is supposed to be 6mm below the lowest point of the lower swingarm guard.
Yours looks to be quite a bit above that making me think that the chain may be tensioned too tightly.

I have a suspicion that the Brutie chain is set with a different method to the F4 but I thought I'd point that out.

Yea same.. but manual says 50mm from the swing arm and I have already adjusted to 60 to see if it makes a difference.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
Right, I've had a bit of a google around and it is not as uncommon as you might think.
DID and RK chains are mentioned.
It seems t be described as "normal" once all other issues have been checked and found to be correct.

Hope that helps.
Lastly, if you don't get help from a forum good samaritan can I suggest sending a PM to Ed Eskew and ask for his advice.

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Simon, check if you have any visible wear on the inside or outside of the rear sprocket, which could indicate alignment issue's.
Did you carefully compare the "new" front sprocket with the old on to see if there's no offset missing or added ?

Dave, that 6mm you mention is very much model specific even on the old F4's if I remember correctly, later models had it as 8mm etc.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Hate to say it, but take the sprocket cover off and check the sprockets for signs of alignment issues. Looks like your rear stand has a bearing, so carefully rotate the wheel and check for tight spots on the chain tension.

I suspect the issue might be with the front sprocket.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. Will check today and let you know the results.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Oh and confirmed that sprockets and chain are 525 pitch. Unless the packaging is marked wrong. chain has no visible tight spots/links and runs free.

Ok... so here are the pics:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So... get this. The sprocket does not sit down correctly on the Cush drive in one place (and moving the sprocket around the gap stays with the same place). Something is wrong with it... one of the holes is drilled slightly out, or the counter bore is offset or something. Callipers needed...

FFS.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so things are out... I have measured 3 times and got the same measurements. Included a photo and a pic showing the gap between the sprocket and cush drive.

PS a massive thanks to Noel for getting on Skype and running thru this with me.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK so a quick little final check here. I have put the sprocket on inside out, sat my phone on a bit of wood for support and rotated the wheel - im pretty sure you can clearly see that something is not right. :)

I will be contacting the company tomorrow to see what they can do to sort.. :stickpoke :naughty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlzKWxQBX2Q

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heard back from Chad at SprocketCenter.com - they have told me they are going to grab a new one off the shelf, check it and then ship direct to me in NZ via priority mail. Nice one!

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
Good on them!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe... thought I might share this. Pic of the old front sprocket.

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
Hooked just a bit there, eh?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hooked just a bit there, eh?
Just a tad. I tested putting the old rear sprocket last night and the noise is a little less but still there.

I re-checked front sprocket as well, and everything seems in order. Checked chain tightness - also tried adding a bit of slack to the chain just to check. Checked chain master link, it is 0.3mm tighter than the rest, so my bad there - but it sill moves freely over both sprockets. I'll wait for the new rear and then re-test, but after that it really is replace front sprocket.

PS: Could this be the cush drive itself? Maybe i should check hub bearings as well? Could the hub be out of align for some reason? Bloody weird.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts