MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
I would normally go with lower mileage however aesthetically the silver looks better/more desirable to me in this instance and one owner means less potential for various owners to fuck things up along the way, I’d view them both, you’ll get a feel/vibe for which is the right one for you. Or if neither fully tick your boxes, be patient and wait it out for the next one until the right one comes along.

If you like the grey and are not bothered about mileage, you could use the black one as a price/mileage reference to knock the price down on the grey one!

·
Administrator
20,073 Posts
How many miles a year do you expect to ride? In my experience 10,000 km is not a lot of mileage...and 16k is still a long way from 36k.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'd get either and respray it Red and Silver :)

Or just get the grey one.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Black bike has had 2 owners and is approaching 10 years old .. and yet has only done 6,500 kms!

I would want to know it had been ridden regularly and / or laid up properly.
I wouldn't. I'd buy it regardless. :D

Appearance is a great guide. If a person cares enough to 'preserve' a bike, we can generally be assured it has been done properly. That's not to say that ALL low milers are well preserved, but I don't think many buyers have been caught out.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I wouldn't. I'd buy it regardless. :D

Appearance is a great guide. If a person cares enough to 'preserve' a bike, we can generally be assured it has been done properly. That's not to say that ALL low milers are well preserved, but I don't think many buyers have been caught out.
You are clearly more trusting than me! Preserving a bike by keeping it clean in a garage is only one part of the equation ..... what goes through my mind is a 180 mph bike that has probably never had the brake fluid or hoses changes, is potentially still on original (or old tyres) and a host of other things that need recommissioning.

Reactions: nigelrb

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
You are clearly more trusting than me! Preserving a bike by keeping it clean in a garage is only one part of the equation ..... what goes through my mind is a 180 mph bike that has probably never had the brake fluid or hoses changes, is potentially still on original (or old tyres) and a host of other things that need recommissioning.
Its a 10 year old bike, what you are worried about also applies to a bike with higher mileage, except now you have a situation where you also have wear. Why do you assume that because it is higher mileage it has had all those serviceable items routinely changed?

You could just keep riding it and service it at the dealer, I am however OCD. If I buy a second hand bike first things I would do:

1. Change the oil and filter (check for metal on the magnet)
2. Change the brake fluid, inspect the pads
3. Check the valve clearances (maybe new spark plugs)
4. Change the coolant
5. Change the battery
6. Change the air filter
7. Change the fuel hoses and fuel filter (I wont trust 10 year old rubber fuel hoses).
8. Grease the rear hub (very important) , swingarm and linkage bearings too.
9. Change the tyres to my preferred rubber Supercorsa SP (I'm very temperamental here, will never trust someone else's tyres) There is also a date stamp on the tyres and 3-5 years is the sell by date.

If I am really feeling it, service the shock and change the fork fluid and seals and grease the head bearings.

In my experience with second hand bikes, the chain is almost always fcked and needs changing. That year F4 has the F3 style square sprocket cush drive rubbers and they are probably also due for replacement.

A race team does this almost every race.

No , I would not take it to a dealer for this.

If you do it yourself, it will cost relatively little and your bike will be good for a long time. It also gives you a chance to go over everything and check that there is nothing else major wrong.

Hence why I would rather buy a low mileage bike as the high mileage one will probably still need all this done.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
.... what goes through my mind is a 180 mph bike that has probably never had the brake fluid or hoses changes, is potentially still on original (or old tyres) and a host of other things that need recommissioning.
Right with you on those points (y) . There's even a couple of fluid changes I should be doing myself.:(

·
Registered
325 Posts
Agree with @PTsalas, I'm a little OCD too lol, I like to check the caliper pistons also, and as most of mine are over 20 years old I start looking at brake and clutch master seals too!!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts