MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New (to me) 2000 F4 750. Which oil do folks on here recommenD. Book says 10W60. I have choice of Shell Helix Ultra, Motul 8100, Castrol Edge, Gulf Competition. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Try using SEARCH!
>:)
Why is it that some well-established members continue to make it difficult for new members trying to work their way around the many indexes of this forum?:frown2:

For me, I would use the Castrol, but that's not to say the others aren't worthy. Just personal preference, perhaps due to being brainwashed from the Castrol GTX days!:grin2:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Motul 7100 & Motorex Racing Power Synt. Both meet MV Agusta requirements. Motul don't produce their 300V in 10w60, shame because that is their best product. I've used both, not in 10w60, but in other grades like 10w40, 10w30. Never had a problem with either, in cars or bikes. I've had oil analysis done on used samples of both brands after recommended change intervals and the comments typically said that the oil would be good for at least the same mileage again. I'll be going for the Motorex in my Brutale.
Nigel, Castrol, really??!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I was waiting to see if anyone had tales of woe to warn me off a particular type. I'll go for the easiest available one.
I like Motul since I had a Honda NSR 250, so....

PS I *did* try Search but got so many hits which weren't particularly relevant that I figured an enquiring thread wouldn't go amiss, especially as a new fella...

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
It is simply that there are SO MANY oil threads.

Just use a quality oil of the proper viscosity.

What I use is of no consequence to anyone else. It is just my preference.

·
Registered
14,499 Posts
?

Want to see how many times the oil question has been asked?

Google "What is the best oil for an MV Agusta motorcycle"

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
It is simply that there are SO MANY oil threads.
Granted, and I understand. I expected my comment to be a tad strong. Oil and tyres - abundant queries on every motor-related forum. A significant flaw with relying on 'older' information is the advancement of technology in both of these products. An oil available in 2017 might well have been surpassed by a more recent product, hence, in my view, the foundation for constant enquiry. Of course I do not discount the 'laziness' factor, but we all want the BEST for our bikes.

What I use is of no consequence to anyone else. It is just my preference.
I don't wish to be argumentative, but I disagree.:smile2:
I think we are all influenced by others' experiences, and would hope that long-standing members and users of specific products continue with those products because of good performance. If 'Fred' (for instance) tells me he has had great results with (say) Motul, I would be prepared to use it. On the other side, if Fred criticised Motul, there's no way I would use it. Perhaps this might be reinforced by the theme of a current thread seeking recommendations for a UK service centre.

Finally, and without being too patronising, I think your experiences (SS703) with MV Agusta add credibility to any preference you care to share.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
What if "Fred" is an utterly incompetent fool who would use butter for lube?

The problem with Forum Advice is the unknown quality of the provider's experience.

FWIW, I use AMSOil in every engine I own.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Granted, and I understand. I expected my comment to be a tad strong. Oil and tyres - abundant queries on every motor-related forum. A significant flaw with relying on 'older' information is the advancement of technology in both of these products. An oil available in 2017 might well have been surpassed by a more recent product, hence, in my view, the foundation for constant enquiry. Of course I do not discount the 'laziness' factor, but we all want the BEST for our bikes.

I don't wish to be argumentative, but I disagree.:smile2:
I think we are all influenced by others' experiences, and would hope that long-standing members and users of specific products continue with those products because of good performance. If 'Fred' (for instance) tells me he has had great results with (say) Motul, I would be prepared to use it. On the other side, if Fred criticised Motul, there's no way I would use it. Perhaps this might be reinforced by the theme of a current thread seeking recommendations for a UK service centre.

Finally, and without being too patronising, I think your experiences (SS703) with MV Agusta add credibility to any preference you care to share.
Agreed.

What if "Fred" is an utterly incompetent fool who would use butter for lube?

The problem with Forum Advice is the unknown quality of the provider's experience.

FWIW, I use AMSOil in every engine I own.
Agreed if relying on a concensus of one, but if there is a pattern amongst contributors for a certain brand or brands then that gives confidence to a new owner.

I would agree though that using the factory recommended grade and spec from any of the big reputable oil manufacturers is going to be fine.
All Italian bike manufacturers tend to recommend Agip, unsurprisingly!

Penrite has been mentioned above, that's good stuff too. I've used that in all my classic bikes with excellent results.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Try using SEARCH!

Noel,

Whilst search contains just just about every bit of info anyone needs on MV's the sad fact is that the titles that people use for posts has them all over the shop like a mad woman's shit. Sometimes it's easier to ask the direct question rather than spend hours chasing vague links. Perhaps when we post we need to name them more specifically to have them put in the relevant area. I've chased info all over the place for hours with little result. There are some very unrelated titles in there.

Cheers

Deano

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just tried to find the engine oil capacity in the owners handbook, it does give it, in Kilograms!!!! FFS!! So, forum search gives it to me in US Quarts!!! More FFS!! Converts to ltrs and finally we get just under 3 ltrs!! That hand book is a real gem, gives you all the paint codes for bodywork etc, but try to find anything useful and it is a complete fail!
So, did a bit of oil research and find that except for Penrite non of the top brands of engine lubes are stating that they meet the latest API spec, SN. Some of them, including my preferred Motorex product are going back to SJ!! Ok, they will still do their job but for the prices being asked I'm disappointed.
Having previously used Penrite, I'll be going for that.

·
Super Moderator
22,329 Posts
Growing up in the UK, don't you know that 1cc = 1ml = 1gm; 1000cc = 1000ml = 1000gm = 1kg? Granted, that changes for density, but oil and water are very similar at STP.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts