• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
image.jpg

2008 Desmosedici - $65,000-$72,500 (early/late MSRP)
1500 Worldwide / 404 USA

2014 1199 SuperLeggera - $65,000
500 Worldwide / 167 USA

·
Registered
301 Posts
Desmo... You could make your own Superleggara out of a Panigale with enough money. You can only get a Desmo if you buy a Desmo.

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
I voted the Desmo. Must be something special. The new Ducati Senna would also be one to go for.
But I would choose any MV over any Ducati. The Desmo might be the only exception.

·
Registered
42 Posts
best statement ever!

no Duc, only the Desmo RR is close to any MV
:yo:
I voted the Desmo. Must be something special. The new Ducati Senna would also be one to go for.
But I would choose any MV over any Ducati. The Desmo might be the only exception.

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
Blake

I've seen a Superlego close up in the flesh last weekend at the Ace Cafe in London on Italian Bike Day, and I can honestly say hand on heart, it looks better with it's cloths off than with them on..

That orange paintwork doesn't suit the Ducati and the matt carbon finish in my opinion looks cheap ( I know it's not, but it gives the appearance of cheap carbon)..

The colour that Ducati chose for the mag wheels doesn't do the them any favours.. To dull and dark..

A blinged up 1199R looks nicer than a Superlego in my opinion..

If I had the wedge, it would be the F4CC every time, any time..... or if you can find a new unused Supermono, I wouldn't say no..

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Blake

I've seen a Superlego close up in the flesh last weekend at the Ace Cafe in London on Italian Bike Day, and I can honestly say hand on heart, it looks better with it's cloths off than with them on..

That orange paintwork doesn't suit the Ducati and the matt carbon finish in my opinion looks cheap ( I know it's not, but it gives the appearance of cheap carbon)..

The colour that Ducati chose for the mag wheels doesn't do the them any favours.. To dull and dark..

A blinged up 1199R looks nicer than a Superlego in my opinion..

If I had the wedge, it would be the F4CC every time, any time..... or if you can find a new unused Supermono, I wouldn't say no..

I was thinking some of the same things about the Lego. A different color for all the magnesium along with a true and solid Rosso Corsa red and shiny CF would do wonders, even though the spec is already over the top.

And I was wondering how soon the Supermono would be mentioned. I wonder if a long-standing member might have one stashed.

My screen name and avatar indicate my choice, but there will likely never be a comparable type production machine to the Desmo. Yet nothing is more gorgeous than a CC, though the DB7 Oronero comes mighty close for me.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
I like this thread.
I've learned a bit about these Ducatis but most interesting, to me, is John's comment regarding the F4CC.
I never knew that he held that bike in such high regard.
John, if you're ever way down in the south pacific - you know you have several bikes to ride.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I voted D16.

Though between the Mv´s i would choose the Veltro (like a stapple in my forhead) the CC would be the reasonable choice. Ah....never rode one, but i may imagine....vruummm...vrummmm (damn.....i´m fast:toothless)

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just for reference... This is the Nº 30 of 30 1993 Ducati Supermono, originally retailing for $30,000 and with a current $150,000 appraised value in its unstarted pristine condition.

image.jpg

·
King of Bling
9,817 Posts
Dave..

Cheers for the kind offer, but I’d be to scared to ride your F4CC in case something happened to it.. Knowing my luck, the bike would catch fire as soon as I touched the starter button..

A trip to New Zealand is on my bucket list, and maybe one day it might happen.. If Peter Jackson ever did another Lord of the Ring Piece film, maybe I could apply for the part of the Cheeky Chappy Orc and get a free trip to NZ..

I’ve always been a supporter of the F4CC, as I believe its concept speaks more for the brand than any other modern day MV model.

The sum of the parts used on the F4CC screams refinement and attention to detail. The only thing MV got wrong about the model was its retail price.

In my opinion, the Veltro is to narrow in appeal for the general none MV fan base and apart from the race dash set-up, it hasn’t got anything more to offer over the F4CC… I don’t mean to disrespect any Veltro fans out there, but I can’t see the connection between MV and a squadron in the Italian air force. :)

Only speaking for myself, but I feel the D16 has the visual appearance of having to long a wheelbase for a superbike and is also to track focused to make a practical usable road bike.

I’d like a Ducati with the D16 front end and the 1199R rear tail seat unit, with the user friendly road manners of the Superlego..

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just to address the MV Veltro tie-in to the Italian Airforce, Agusta was an aviation company before it ever manufactured motorcycles. The connection is that Agusta was still closely related to MVA until very recently, and it's a matter of national patriotism and pride. The B48 Combat Brutale project was related to the helicopter division that flies the Agusta A129 whirlybirds.

But you've nailed it with the narrow appeal of the Veltros. Not available in the USA, and only a handful produced with virtually no promotion. The CC is the class act, but with too high a price tag with the trinkets. The Veltros are the twin unruly siblings, with the Strada being a redressed matte Tamburini-spec F4 that nobody's heard of outside the inner MV circles.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I actually looked at the Superleggera today and I too was kind of surprised seeing the orange-ish color. Apparently, the color got changed between the dealer presentation and the actual release as the color was different at the presentation (and even on photos).

The problem I have with the SL is simply that it looks like another 1199, a bit fancied up with aftermarket wheels, exhaust, and carbon fiber. I just don't see the difference of $35k between the R and SL. Having learned that the carbon fiber subframe apparently costs $6k ( :jsm: ), it kinda adds up I guess.

I know it is a technological marvel and is really, and I mean really, light right out of the crate. But at the end of the day, your local folks at the Starbucks still only see a 1199.

Now, the Desmo however... :naughty:

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
You can only get a Desmo if you buy a Desmo.
Chwebby, as the owner of a 2004 Honda Ruckus, I've determined that you can only get a Ruckus if you buy a Ruckus......:stickpoke

(Kidding) :)

·
Formerly WYD OPN
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I like this thread.
I've learned a bit about these Ducatis but most interesting, to me, is John's comment regarding the F4CC.
I never knew that he held that bike in such high regard.
John, if you're ever way down in the south pacific - you know you have several bikes to ride.
The CC is the pinnacle of both form and function in the history of motorcycling, IMO.

Others have a parity of form or function, but no other has both. As significant as the Britten is, for example, it's much more functionally spectacular than a work of art.

The Desmo is significant and stylish, but it's a racetrack renegade that has a hard time outperforming its contemporary stablemate, the 1098R. And its form isn't all that much of a landmark in design.

There simply isn't an overall equivalent to the CC. It was just over-marketed with hype and trinkets for a price that dulled its appeal. At late-MSRP Desmo money ($72,500), the CC would have been a value that didn't need the $20K+ watch and the jacket as gimmicks (though they're very nice gimmicks).

I have to choose the Veltro Pista first. Then I'm going...CC... then this...

image.jpg

...and then all else.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts