MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a black 750S for 3 years which I really loved. Not good for pillion though, so traded in for a K1200R. Now thinking I may add a new Brutale to he collection.

What are the views out there on the various models? Old new stock 910R are going pretty cheap...well cheaper than before anyway. Are the new models much of an improvement on them?

Also what to look for in a new bike that has been sitting in a showroom for two years?

Feedback most appreciated.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
Had a black 750S for 3 years which I really loved. Not good for pillion though, so traded in for a K1200R. Now thinking I may add a new Brutale to he collection.

What are the views out there on the various models? Old new stock 910R are going pretty cheap...well cheaper than before anyway. Are the new models much of an improvement on them?

Also what to look for in a new bike that has been sitting in a showroom for two years?

Feedback most appreciated.
Good question MdV. I've owned a 750, a 910S, and now a 910R. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate myself as a 5 in rider skills. For me, the 910R is way more bike than I am rider. If you're a reallllllllly good rider, you might be able to explore the differences between the 910 and the new 1078, etc. but if you are a mere mortal, the 910 is plenty.

Comments, guys? (leave the smart ass 1 to 10 comments in your hat) :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
More than happy with the 910R....and great for pillion too was a nice pleasant surprise

Plenty of bikes have been standing in showrooms for a year or two....just make sure its properly prepped and it will be ok

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
910R is enough and has superb brakes and wheels. 750 is OK with power, if you know how to rev the bike all day long, but has bad brakes. 910S has enough power, but same brakes as 750, so no-go.

1078 has better suspension than 910R and better brakes, but you would really have to ride hard to really take advantage of new brakes. Power; more than 910R and you will not need that much power, I am sure.

·
Registered
803 Posts
My 910s has more engine, brakes, and suspension that I'll ever need in a streetbike and I've been riding for 18 years now. If it's been a few weeks since I rode it last I sometimes get into trouble hitting second to hard lifting the front.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Your comments pretty much confirm what I thought.
My experience with the 750 - 3 years 15,000k - was that you did indeed have to ride in the revs to get power, specially at the track. I guess that's no longer the case with the 910. Also the 750S was very thirsty; I was lucky if I got 180-190k out of a tank on a weekend ride, perhaps not so leisurely :). Any comments on the fuel economy of the 910R? Any advice?

Getting closer to that second bike in the garage...as I said there are few new 07 and 08 models at the local dealerships.
Will advise if any progress.
Cheers to all and keep upright!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Thanks guys. Your comments pretty much confirm what I thought.
My experience with the 750 - 3 years 15,000k - was that you did indeed have to ride in the revs to get power, specially at the track. I guess that's no longer the case with the 910. Also the 750S was very thirsty; I was lucky if I got 180-190k out of a tank on a weekend ride, perhaps not so leisurely :). Any comments on the fuel economy of the 910R? Any advice?

Getting closer to that second bike in the garage...as I said there are few new 07 and 08 models at the local dealerships.
Will advise if any progress.
Cheers to all and keep upright!
Mileage on 910's also suck:(

·
Administrator
20,402 Posts
New 910s with 5SM ECU get better mileage...probably because they no longer spray the injectors in pairs.

I average about 33 mpg...sometimes a bit higher, sometimes a bit less. Almost always at least 30mpg or more.

This with "Race" ECU, MV Corse exhaust and BMC air cleaner....and I don't usually tootle about..

·
Administrator
20,402 Posts
The gas mileage i got on my 910R was laughable at best.. maybe 22-25?
Yeah, the 750's get lousy mileage, too.....you had a 16M ECU model I'll wager?

·
Registered
204 Posts
An old Texan told me once: "It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian..." (Same guy saw me admiring the 'bling' on a bike: "Big hat...No cattle...") Whatever makes you go 'Waahooo' works for me.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I reckon a 910R with a Ohlins TTX in the back and re-valve/re-spring up front is a pretty awesome street bike to be had for a smoking deal (in terms of MV's prices anyway).

I have a stock 910S. If you're only riding on the street then nothing wrong with the brakes on the S. Me personally I like brakes that you just look at & the bike stops - the old Nissans are not those brakes.

Other issue is the suspension deflects on high speed hits (same deal with the 910R). I weigh 155 lbs and for sure the bike needs a shock and reworked fork. I just ride around it now until get some spare cash. FYI - Ohlins is coming out with a kit for the 50 mm Marzochis.

I'd love a 910R and I'd love a 1078 - I'd be more then chuffed with either. Extra 30 hp when you already have 120 is not that big a deal unless you're racing longer tracks (in which case a superbike and not a super streetfighter is the way to go). Also when you start getting into the horsepower and torque numbers of the 1078 motor (or any modern 1000cc) set up becomes more critical to keep the chassis from getting tied up in knots in my experience.

If someone offered me either as a gift? Personally I'd probably take the 1078 just to have that little bit O extra steam on the top end to beat a ZX10 in the drag race from turn 9 to turn 10 at Willow Springs - but I expect that would be the only time I'd use all that power. If I'm paying my money? I'd for sure save myself 3-6 K and find a nice clean R and just sort the suspension and be very very happy. Oh, that and a steering damper.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, all the feedback here has been very useful. As of today, I am the proud owner of a 910R - 07 model, first registered Sept 08 and with less than 2,000k on the clock. Should be delivered in the next few days.
Can't wait to ride it. M

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Grats Mick , wish you much fun with it ;)
Like this thread , as i,m also looking for a brutale , after reading all this i,m gone look for a 910S

·
Administrator
20,402 Posts
Can Brembo Monoblocks or better quality Nissans be swapped out in an affordable way on the 910S?
Upgrade the pads on the Nissins and you should be content...unless you are racing they will be plenty good enough.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Congratulations on your new 910R. I have had mine for almost 3 years and have 12,500 miles on it. It has given me very little trouble. If it ever warms up around here I will let you know how I like the Ohlins TTX I just put on for my Christmas present. They like gas, I get about 25mpg and tires(2500 miles out of rear Pirelli Diablo Corsa IIIs) but on a mountain road they are truly magic.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts