MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm installing the Clear Alternatives rear taillight kit and I want to hook up the blinkers. I'd like to find 2 quick disconnect plugs that are identical to the ones the stock blinkers use, for a factory look.
If it comes down to it, I will cut the ones off of my stock rear fender unit (the stock blinker plugs) but I don't really want to. I want to be able to return the bike to stock if I need to, and don't want to hack up wiring - even on something I may never use again.

thanks
-c

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
You can get the connectors from a friend of mine: Jani --> MV Agusta Parts Look at different parts - turn lights

Here a pic of mine with the CA rear light:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats awesome, but I think the shipping will cost more than the plugs =)
I guess beggers can't be choosers. If I can't find them locally in the next few days, I guess I'm ordering them from your buddy in Germany.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
They are extremely hard to find, especially pre-wired as pigtails. They are called sure-seal connectors and are the two pin mini size:

http://www.suresealconnections.com/index.html

To be honest it's probably going to work out better in the end to get them from Jani if his are prewired. I've never seen him specify one way or the other. Will only take one air mail envelope, few euros.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
oicdn said:
I would just call up Sure Seal and get a few from them. Shipping is cheaper, and you'll prolly end up getting them faster..

The crimper and press is quite expensive. Sure seal only sell the connectors, not pre-wired pigtails - as I mentioned.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How hard can it be to crimp the things? Just stick the wires in the back, and clamp down on that biz-nitch, right?

·
Registered
459 Posts
cryptyk said:
How hard can it be to crimp the things? Just stick the wires in the back, and clamp down on that biz-nitch, right?

Go try! :guitarist Crimping is the easy part.

James is talking crap. The crimper and press are not quite expensive,they are really :cussing: :mad: :cussing: expensive!

If you can get them pre-wired do it, it will probably work out cheaper.

I have spare pins and sockets and probably connectors lying around somewhere
from my attempt a few years back.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
macmivvi said:
Go try! :guitarist
:laughing:

Cryptik, you can also try engineering samples from SureSeal but they usually only send out large gauge multi (3/4) pin types in my experience..and I've tried :) They do come pigtailed though...

If you want the catalogue numbers I can dig them up this wknd and post on monday? Hopefully though you'll just order from Jani (assuming they are prewired) :king:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to email Jani and ask if they are prewired, and if they're the right connector. His pictures show 4 pins, but mine are only 2.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
They are not pre-wired.
It looks like, that it is not so hard, to get it wired. You only have to solder the cable to the pin, and then the pin will snap into the housing.
Ok, as soon as I get my new indicators (already 4 weeks ordered :mad: ), then I will try and post how it works.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
^^ Exactly. Reverse heat them, i.e. stick the wire into the pin touch the solder to the "joint" and heat either the pin or the wire. No crimping needed, and you'll have a completely soldered connection.

·
Registered
459 Posts
oicdn said:
^^ Exactly. Reverse heat them, i.e. stick the wire into the pin touch the solder to the "joint" and heat either the pin or the wire. No crimping needed, and you'll have a completely soldered connection.
Then you need to insert your completely soldered connection into your sure seal
which is the difficult part. I,m not sure you understand the sure seal is only the rubber part ,pins and sockets need to be made up the correct shape then pushed into the connector. If you have distorted them they are not held firmly in the connector and get pushed out when you try to connect everything up.

The pins and sockets come in packs of ten or more ,without the press to insert them you will find it extremely difficult. A small roll pin may help to do this.

The crimping tool and press were around £300, if I remember correctly ,that was in 2001 .

They really are a pain in the ass to put together correctly unless you have the tools.
After sourcing all the required bits I wished I had just cut the old plugs off
and just soldered the wires ,save yourself a lot of hassle :later:

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What a freakin nightmare, just to get a blinker installation to look factory.

Here is my new plan:
I'm going to hack the plugs off of the stock blinkers, and put some standard disconnects on the (male) and then female disconnects both on the stock and aftermarket blinkers.
I'll cover the new disconnects with cable housing so you can't see it and it's "protected". Then I can use the regular disconnects to pull the rear fairing off, and the hidden disconnects to swap back to stock.

Not the total reversal to stock I was looking for, but at least it's easy this way!

Thanks for all the input, guys.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Here is his reply to me from Friday, sorry I'm normally offline all weekend:

--------------------------------------------------
Hello James,

i have problems with the registry.

Here is my answer to the connectors.

The connector in my shop are the original, but the picture is other with 4 contacts and not with 2 contakts.

Normaly you must crimp th contacts with a special crimper press. They are verry expensive.

You can also solder the contacts.

The shipping is not so expensive because I can send with a letter .

Best regards

Jani

1 - 15 of 15 Posts