MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
I don't know about the US John, but Steen Hansen distribute them in Canada I believe.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I was in contact with them not too long ago- they said they currently have no US dealers, but are working towards finding one. They could not give me a timeline. I inquired about ordering one direct, the shipping was significantly more than the cost of the stand. I'd like to have one too!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I'm curious which stand you are looking into, the center stand?

In a week or two I should have my prototype completed which I will offer up here to see if there is interest in purchasing. What I have is a stand which will hold up the rear of the bike to allow servicing of everything from the swingarm pivot back. The swing arm will not be loaded at all andyou will be able to remove the swingarm if you want. The stand also will allow you to access the front end of the bike to facilitate removing everything down to the steering head. I will be posting this up soon in prototype form to see what you think, so maybe it will fit your needs.

·
Registered
319 Posts
What was that song they did? "When the whip comes down"? "My baby takes the mornin train"? What ever, I hope the stands are better than the music...

:smoking:

·
Registered
8,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm curious which stand you are looking into, the center stand?

In a week or two I should have my prototype completed which I will offer up here to see if there is interest in purchasing. What I have is a stand which will hold up the rear of the bike to allow servicing of everything from the swingarm pivot back. The swing arm will not be loaded at all andyou will be able to remove the swingarm if you want. The stand also will allow you to access the front end of the bike to facilitate removing everything down to the steering head. I will be posting this up soon in prototype form to see what you think, so maybe it will fit your needs.
That's exactly what I want!

My options are the abba stand, or rearsets with pibul jack stands--However with the weight of the bike being supported on the rearsets I'd still need a front tree stand to work on the forks, etc, so a stand that allows you to pivot the bike like the abba stand is ideal--Plus I don't really want rearstes for position (i think the stock setup is perfect for me), i just need fixed pegs :stickpoke:

·
Not very lucky..
1,431 Posts
So Rob, is it going to look like this?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
So Rob, is it going to look like this?
Not quite, Mine won't use the pallet and blocks of wood.

The rear support is the same, that is where te similarities end. It is a height adjustable telescoping stand. I have also decided to make it so that is dissasembles to make it cheaper to ship and to store. It will require a jack to operate (either a floor jack or scissor jack) because of the OEM paddock stand. The problem with the OEM stand is it doesn't have wheels which means the bike rolls forward when you remove the stand which could potentially result in the bike falling off the stand when you remove the stand which you must do if you are going to access anything on the hub. If you are using any wheeled stand this shouldn't be an issue, but I really wanted to make a stand that could be used with the OEM rear stand so that we wouldn't have to buy another stand. If you look in the manual you will see a stand pictured that uses a scissor jack to lift the bike. Mine is similar in concept with a couple of changes. The biggest is that there are telescoping legs which stabilize the stand as it is jacked up. Once in position the legs are locked allowing the jack to be removed and leaving the bike with a more stable base should you have to break any stuborn nuts loose etc. For the front you support the bike from the frame through the opening in front of the radiator overflow bottle (you will see a triangular shaped opening). The one thing you will need to do is loosen and swing the clip-ons forward a little, which you would have to do if you where doing any work on the forks anyway (i.e changing the fork height in the trees, removing the forks, accessing the steering haed bearings etc.) . These aren't stands that are meant for everyday duties such as changing tires, more for the maintenance issues such as changing sprockets, packing bearings etc. I have never been a fan of hanging bikes from rafters so this is my solution. Hopefully it is something people can use and if there are a few people that can use them I will produce them. Plus they are made and available here so no expensive overseas shipping, although I did design them so they will be very compact to make shipping as inexpensive as possible.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Right now I have almost all of the components ready for welding. I hope to have the prototype done in 1-2 weeks, it just depends on my free time. Once I have the prototype done, I can sit down and really figure out construction time, materials level of finish and ultimately cost.

·
Administrator
18,853 Posts
Rob....Very interested in your stand...but what about those footpegs?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Right now I have 58mm clip-ons just about ready, I am working on the stands and hope to have the ignition covers done in the next few weeks. I will revisit the footpegs after the prototype stand is done.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts