MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like a bad seal, or gasket? Anyone tell where this might be coming from? Just got back from a 80 mile run and saw this while parking in the garage...

2006 F4 w/3,600 miles....

Attachments

·
Registered
723 Posts
It´s curious but only saw this in a mew model F4RR 2012!
Probably isn´t the same issue but I leave it to the experts...

·
Registered
517 Posts
Pull the side panel off for a closer look. :stickpoke
Kinda hard to guess with all that plastic in the way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pull the side panel off for a closer look. :stickpoke
Kinda hard to guess with all that plastic in the way.
Yup…that's my plan. I wanted to get an initial pic up to see if it jumped out at anyone. I'll post some additional close ups.

At first glance, it looks like it's coming out of the "F4" piece, but I'm not sure what component that is as of yet…

·
Registered
517 Posts
That's the crankshaft timing cover. Could be the source, but again, you won't know until you get the plastics off.

·
Super Moderator
7,346 Posts
The crankshaft timing cover has a rubber gasket.

You can remove the cover using an 8 mm socket. Inspect the mating surfaces then clean or replace the gasket.
Do not over tighten the 5 bolts holding the timing cover in place - refer to the service manual for the correct torque require for those bolts or someone here will have that info and may add it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here is closer pic, just to confirm what looks like has already been said. It's very minimal, but I'm sure would only get worse from here. Once removed, is oil (or ??) going to pour out? And where would I acquire a seal for this?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
This is just a cover, a bit of oil might come out but not a lot. Either take the o-ring to a seal place and match it up or do like Donsy says and use some stuff to seal it up.

·
Registered
4,584 Posts
10 min job

Here is what you will find when you remove the cover. Some oil will come out. Clean the cover well, and inspect the seal. If it's bad you can check with Noel. Put a skim layer of gasket sealer around the contact surface before you bolt it back on. Like Dave said, check the manuals for the torque specs, slap the bodywork back on and poof! you're off.:f4:

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Love it when it turns out simple. I'll find some "Form-A-Gasket" sealer along with getting a torque wrench before taking it apart.

@ Ian SAVS ~ Thanks for the pics. Very helpful....

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
Love it when it turns out simple. I'll find some "Form-A-Gasket" sealer along with getting a torque wrench before taking it apart.

@ Ian SAVS ~ Thanks for the pics. Very helpful....
10Nm torque should be fine.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One last thing...looks like you can get some Form-A-Gasket #1, #2, or #3. Is there a preference for this type of job?

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
One last thing...looks like you can get some Form-A-Gasket #1, #2, or #3. Is there a preference for this type of job?
Anything with a reasonable temp rating and oil resistance RTV Blue or Permatex Black etc.

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
goop?

chrisbanks00;
you do not want Permatex #1, 2 or 3.......thats crap from the '20s

you want Permatex RTV Form-a-Gasket silicone gasket maker

I use the high temp orange because it's easy to see any little pieces left around when you remove the cover

take the O-ring out of the F4 cover...flatten it on a piece of plate glass with ~80 grit wet or dry sandpaper......never seen a flat one:wtf:

remount the O-ring and use a paper thin coat of Form-a-Gasket over the cover and the O-ring:naughty:

do not over torque the bolts

:drummer:

·
Super Moderator
22,071 Posts
chrisbanks00;
you do not want Permatex #1, 2 or 3.......thats crap from the '20s

you want Permatex Form-a-Gasket silicone gasket maker

I use the high temp orange because it's easy to see any little pieces left around when you remove the cover

take the O-ring out of the F4 cover...flatten it on a piece of plate glass with ~80 grit wet or dry sandpaper......never seen a flat one:wtf:

remount the O-ring and use a paper thin coat of Form-a-Gasket over the cover and the O-ring:naughty:

do not over torque the bolts

:drummer:
Yeah Noel, we don't have the Permatex #1,2 or 3 over here.
I've used the Permatex Ultra Black PX #82180 with huge success just recently on a 312R which leaked like a Leyland.

Next time I'll try and get the Orange one's

Attachments

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Yeah Noel, we don't have the Permatex #1,2 or 3 over here.
I've used the Permatex Ultra Black PX #82180 with huge success just recently on a 312R which leaked like a Leyland.

Next time I'll try and get the Orange one's
Donsy;
bet the aircraft guys use the old shit:wtf::wtf:

I'm not kidding:naughty:

·
Registered
517 Posts
While you have the cover off, take a look at the seams where the upper and lower halves of the crank case meet (where the red arrows are pointing). I hear the joins are notorious for being uneven (mine were). Take an emery board to even them up. Could prevent future leaks from that area.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts