MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys!
Just thought I'd ask you guys a question. The question is if and when MV will enter SBK Racing??? Whats the word? Come on lets hear it!!!

·
Registered
5,573 Posts
The rumour is 2008.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Depends on your defnition.

An MV already has been in world superbike with Andrea Mazzali.

If you're talking as a factory? Maybe never. I really can't see it happening if it hasn't happened already.

Some team will enter the bikes and do well, we hope.

·
Registered
159 Posts
acruhl said:
Depends on your defnition.

An MV already has been in world superbike with Andrea Mazzali.

If you're talking as a factory? Maybe never. I really can't see it happening if it hasn't happened already.

Some team will enter the bikes and do well, we hope.
I agree. ;)

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
The hot goss is it will be in 2008.
When the rules changed to allow 1000 fours the rules have restrictions so the Dukes can remain competitive. I think that agreement runs out in 2008 (hence Ducati making noises about going to 1200cc)
Anyway, the MV stroke and bore do not conform, (this was done to limit top revs and hence horsepower of a 4 cylinder engine in race trim). Which means MV would have to build and homologate a whole new engine to go racing.
The rumour is the new engine (1150 I think) will be released in Milan, this is to homologate the design, and stop privateers from racing (can't race a 1150) in 2007 while the race team is put in place and at end of 2007 ,voila, new racing MV realeased ready for 2008 season.
As for Biagi he signed with Carona Suzuki.
Thats the goss from some friends who are in SBK.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Greg Albert said:
The hot goss is it will be in 2008.
When the rules changed to allow 1000 fours the rules have restrictions so the Dukes can remain competitive. I think that agreement runs out in 2008 (hence Ducati making noises about going to 1200cc)
Anyway, the MV stroke and bore do not conform, (this was done to limit top revs and hence horsepower of a 4 cylinder engine in race trim). Which means MV would have to build and homologate a whole new engine to go racing.
The rumour is the new engine (1150 I think) will be released in Milan, this is to homologate the design, and stop privateers from racing (can't race a 1150) in 2007 while the race team is put in place and at end of 2007 ,voila, new racing MV realeased ready for 2008 season.
As for Biagi he signed with Carona Suzuki.
Thats the goss from some friends who are in SBK.
This is a funny joke. But if it's not, I'm calling BS on this whole thing.

The bore and stroke wrong? What? That's a totally lame argument. MV is right in there with the other bikes.

Building a bigger motor to thwart racers is the only half baked thing I think MV could be capable of, but, it was just announced in Roadracing World that MV is trying to homologate the F41000R for superstock next year in AMA racing.

Running superstock as a factory or even with factory support is cheap. Running superbike is not. That means it makes sense that they are going to continue in superstock. Makes sense to me.

Again, if they haven't raced in WSB as a factory so far, what is compelling evidence that they ever will with the current bike?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
acruhl said:
Again, if they haven't raced in WSB as a factory so far, what is compelling evidence that they ever will with the current bike?

It's not like the bike gets *more* competitive as time passes by...

Personally, I think MV gets more mileage from a competitive, affordable SuperStock entry than gambling on a costly WSB racer that shares few parts with the over-the-counter bikes.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
emmvee said:
It's not like the bike gets *more* competitive as time passes by...

Personally, I think MV gets more mileage from a competitive, affordable SuperStock entry than gambling on a costly WSB racer that shares few parts with the over-the-counter bikes.
Funny you should mention that. There was a big debate about this over at Speedzilla not too long ago.

There seems to be some kind of "identity crisis" between the series. What actually is the goal of MotoGP, WSB, superstock, etc? It's not very clear anymore.

My own take is that superstock is doing the right thing, and superbike should be something more along the lines of what it was in the early to mid 90's with the tuner shops building these super high strung bikes which at their core still have stock parts. Special race models are cool. I would really like to see the days of the RC-45 and R7 again.

Funny thing is, if the rules were more like they were when 750s were still running, I think we'd see superbikes which would be VERY competitive on a MotoGP grid, if VERY means mid pack (which would be incredible for a stock based bike).

Anyway, superstock seems to be "real" racing, as far as I can tell. Superbike is silly right now. Even if it is good racing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts