MV Agusta Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
That's crazy. The CHP (California Highway Patrol) works the road I live on occasionally and they don't bat an eye at 20MPH over the 40 limit. There are plenty of 80+ to keep them busy. Generally speaking the CHP will ignore 20 over anywhere.

Several years ago I was west-bound on the 580 Freeway east of Oakland and got into a 'lane choice contest with a Jag'. We were both at ~95MPH (limit is 65) when the CHP rolls up and sez, "Slow down!", over his loud-speaker, and keeps rolling. We both did as was requested.

There is no shortage of stupid rules in California, but nothing like the zero-tolerance speed laws like you describe.
I wish they would ticket the morons going 45-55 in a 65 in the fast lane. They cause so many problems with traffic.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I wish they would ticket the morons going 45-55 in a 65 in the fast lane. They cause so many problems with traffic.
In Massachusetts there is no "fast lane" the speed limit is posted and that is the limit. The far left lane(s) are "passing" lanes and not travel lanes. However the reality is most people don't know that. I hear it called " the fast lane, the through travel lane"....

The worst is when someone traveling in the passing lane thinks it's okay to travel at the speed limit or less. If you are in the passing lane, then pass.

Okay now you can begin to understand how things don't go well when I meet LEOs.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I only carry my licence. Just because its with my debit card and cash.

If I'm riding a race bike (day time mot) then i carry mot and insurance too as its easier to explain why it does not look like a road bike. Of course i have to find somewhere to lean the bike up against.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Hey Mario i liked ur post... and wondering if the cops names were John Baker & Poncherello 🤪👍

·
Registered
282 Posts
In Massachusetts there is no "fast lane" the speed limit is posted and that is the limit. The far left lane(s) are "passing" lanes and not travel lanes. However the reality is most people don't know that. I hear it called " the fast lane, the through travel lane"....

The worst is when someone traveling in the passing lane thinks it's okay to travel at the speed limit or less. If you are in the passing lane, then pass.

Okay now you can begin to understand how things don't go well when I meet LEOs.
Yes, the passing lane, what have you. We also have Express/HOV lanes that are to the FAR FAR left, and during certain times those are only to be occupied by buses, carpools, and motorcycles. The lane next to the HOV is the passing lane for everyone else. Some highways don't have HOV and the far left is the "passing lane", people camp out there and don't move back to the right, and travel at 45-55 with NO ONE IN FRONT OF THEM. Its a common thing in the SF Bay area, and it drives me nuts. Luckily I can just lane split past them when on the bikes.

We're required by law to carry our license and registration and insurance cards. You get a citation (that can be dismissed upon presentation of the valid documents) if you don't have your documentation on hand.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Some highways don't have HOV and the far left is the "passing lane", people camp out there and don't move back to the right, and travel at 45-55 with NO ONE IN FRONT OF THEM.
Yeah it happens here to.
I found riding in both Italy and Spain most people do move over after passing.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Who doesn't carry their ID and insurance when out riding/driving?
In Massachusetts you have to have insurance, so if you have a valid registration that is your proof of insurance.
I do have a card from my insurance company, but don't necessarily carry it on my person when I am riding.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I actually sent my driving document to the west sussex police headquarters with a covering note that as they wanted to inspect them on such a regulsr basis that they may as well keep them on file , they did get retuned to me with a shitty letter
Quality statement. Wish I had thought of that.

Like yourself ceepee, I used to be stopped many, many times on the Welsh border in the late 80's / early 90's but since moving onto bigger bikes they then left me alone.

I have been stopped several times over the last few years, but usually of my own doing and slightly heavy right foot in a car. I'm always polite and the last time was let off for doing 110mph on the A40 near Monmouth - very lucky. I don't speed in the 30's, 40's and 50's but on motorways and dual carriageways I might be distracted if it's late and no-one else about - it was 10pm on a Sunday evening and the A40 was deserted, bar a couple of cars and wagons. I was rushing to get to the hotel in a decent time in Swindon so sat at 110. I should have taken notice of the headlights sitting behind me (I did notice it wasn't a marked police car, but dismissed unmarked...), he boxed me in when I went for an overtake as I was on the inside lane, I slowed to let them past but they sat behind me so I went for the overtake on another car then the blue lights came on... I pulled over, he confirmed my details and asked me what would happen if I lost my license. Told me it was his third he had caught at over 100 tonight and told me to slow down, he could cope with 80mph in the 70mph limit but as there were occasionally pedestrians I would be looking at a manslaughter charge as they wouldn't stand a chance (fair point - it was through the forest area and not in a built up area). Let me go on my way. I must add that it is rare for me to speed - I usually drive at 5 to 10mph under the limit and I now drive with a dash cam as sick of the idiots crashing into me and the hassle with insurance thereafter.

Last time on the bike the 2 occupants just wanted to look at the MV, as hey were interested in it being bikers themselves. I chatted for a while (as above, I'm not usually in a rush) so not really classed as a stop. I did pick up not one, but two speeding tickets in France when I went abroad on it a few months ago!

I have fallen victim to the small plate in Wales though, and my exhaust did have the EU stamp on it (but he didn't notice the baffles missing) on my Arrows on the GSXR. The plate was only marginally smaller, not like some you see, but I know the law and took the risk. Nowadays it is legal all the time.

I don't have a problem with the boys in blue, and had a friend who is a police motorcyclist in the Derby area when I was living there - if they stop me it's usually because I've stepped beyond the line and I know where the line is.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wow F the UK speed cameras. Jeez.

I got pulled over last year. 92 in a 65 :toothless
At least he got me after I had decelerated a bit right? >:)

It was a NHP (Nevada Highway Patrol) and it was at 8am so morning commute time so I had to make a $300 donation to their retirement fund. No points so meh.

Other times, I go looking for cops :surprise: (scavenger hunt photo op)
One asked if he could take it for a spit and I said only if I can chase on yours, lights and sirens wailin. He dejected said I can't do that lol

Before that, man like 7 years or so. And I had 70k miles on my old bike, so it isn't like I didn't try. Just don't be too stupid and NHP leaves you alone mostly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Most of you blokes would end up in gaol in Australia.

When a friend heard I had an MV he told me of Baron Von Grumpy's adventures on an F4. It seems that the Swiss polis spoiled their party, I believe it was a 4000 UK pound fine for 38kph over the limit. Sumthink like that.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I simply can not incriminate myself as no such thing has happened... okay once during a heavy heavy downpour ducking for cover under an overpass along Interstate 95 in Pennsylvania. Yup, I road a short distance on the paved shoulder during a major traffic jam. In court, the trouper joked with the judge about golfing together. I lost. I 'was' an easy target.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Last time was a couple of years ago when a prick cop pulled me over for doing 40 (km/h) in a 30 school zone... on a Sunday... at 6am!!! Was so furious. Now it's track only for the time being :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Last time was in 2015 while riding the Ducati SPS. Was cruising on the highway double the speed limit and when I started to exit the highway is when a cop finally caught up to me. Spent a day in Tent City.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Last time was in 2015 while riding the Ducati SPS. Was cruising on the highway double the speed limit and when I started to exit the highway is when a cop finally caught up to me. Spent a day in Tent City.

'Tent City'..... Jail?? :surprise:

·
Registered
511 Posts
about 2002 in wales driving a box transit van with only 3 gears

well I wouldn't say 'stopped' he waved at me to slow down :)

In nearly 40 years of being a licence holder I appear to have got away with just about everything - never had points just got caught by a speed camera in a car once and did the 'course'

I've jinxed myself now and am expecting some gaol time shortly

·
Registered
7 Posts
'Tent City'..... Jail?? :surprise:
Wasn't exactly Jail but certainly wasn't a Hotel. Met many characters in Tent City and would not recommend the facility to anyone, especially women.

With the new Sheriff in Arizona, Tent City is now a distant memory.

My record up from 2010-2015 had roughly 6 speeding tickets in different vehicles (mostly 5-10mph over).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Several years ago I was west-bound on the 580 Freeway east of Oakland and got into a 'lane choice contest with a Jag'. We were both at ~95MPH (limit is 65) when the CHP rolls up and sez, "Slow down!", over his loud-speaker, and keeps rolling. We both did as was requested.
The last time I was pulled over was after running the Brutale up well past 1*0 late at night. caged CHP flashed me after I dropped down to 90. Told him I just got in a fight w/ the wife and wanted to go for a drive, and he pulled me over just around the corner from my house. He said he saw the top speed, but gave me warning for doing 90.

So... apparently you have to be doing about ~90 for the CHP to really waste his time. Or be a person of color driving a POS car w/ expired plates/broken tail lights.

·
Registered
166 Posts
This past summer on my R1200GS, I was stopped after passing about 6 cars (and a dump truck) over a double yellow while the whole parade was stopped dead waiting for the DT to do its thing. I really didn't notice the cop who had to be just behind me. Stupid. I usually do check. I stopped in a generous pull off area and took my helmet off. The cop was terribly nice and we both agreed that it was a stupid move, although this was mostly PR on my part since I do it all the time. To add insult to injury, my insp sticker was missing - which of course I automatically remove when they expire.

Amazingly, after chatting awhile about how long I've been riding and what bikes I have, he let me go on both (or more) counts.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts