MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
we all've heard it. do we ride by it?

june 10, 2011, 10pm. my when. info for you guys, just to keep in tune with my community. i was merging from a park service rd (spout run drive, northern virginia) onto george wash pkwy to go home when i came onto large debris on the road, just over a hill's crest. From a witness account, the bike hit the debris, skipped a few feet into the air, and landed into the curb, front tire first. i flew off at abt 30mph (50kmh) into the woods, slamming into a sign, a guardrail, and a million trees and forest creatures, 40 linear feet (13 meters) of them.

last thing i remember before slipping into a 2.5 week coma was the us park service logo on the police car. i was trying to walk home at that point, after recalling my name but not birthdate, apparently.

passenger fine, just a few nicks on the arms (she rolled off - thank god), bike working fine, just broken turn signals and oil cooler, missing mirrors.

as for me, broken and displaced left arm (radius), coma, brain swelling, broken jaw, mouth wired shut for two weeks, 1 month in hosp, four months of blood thinners here out to safeguard from a pulmonary embolism (giant bloodclot) i received from being in a freezer for a week (hosp grade pneumonia), 11kgs less weight from muscle atrophy, head lacerations from helmet impact, nerve damage in right foot (another hospital treat - stay out of them if you can) just generally feel beat up by a tree army. barely pulled through, but few more months to solid recovery.

i am lucky to walk (getting back to normal), talk, think normally, if not a little weakly. i have always been an extra careful rider, just goes to show the unexpected can always happen.

please, all, be safe, enjoy the ride and the life.

peter

·
Registered
814 Posts
Holy shit, my friend you are very lucky to still be here. All the best with your recovery.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad you're ok

Glad you're ok my friend. Sad to hear about the damage to your body and the bike...but hopefully you'll make a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow - I'm glad that you're recovering and that your passenger was ok.

As I was winding out the Mito through sixth gear today I happened to look down at the pavement flying past me and suddenly my knees protected in nothing but jeans felt very vulnerable. In light of that and seeing your story I'm going to go find something better right now...

·
Registered
97 Posts
As you said, "the unexpected can always happen" and I confess I am afraid of this.

Thank God you're alive. Best wishes for you, buddy!

·
Cyber SPOTTER
6,101 Posts
All the best with your future recovery, may it be complete. Thank you for sharing your story.

·
Registered
605 Posts
:jsm:It's only an eye blink away, glad to hear your still with us, physically and mentally. Admin would not be happy to lose a son, heal well brother.:)

·
Registered
867 Posts
+1 on the recovery and glad to see you still have all your faculties!! Do you think ABS and traction control would have had a different outcome?? Food for thought thats all.

James

·
The Dude
5,041 Posts
oh geez....that's horrible. glad to hear you are still with us.... hope the healing goes quick....

·
Super Moderator
22,475 Posts
Wow, Forrestry Pinball is not a game I want to play! Apparently your gear helped out to some extent. There, but for the grace of God, go each of us...and I am glad to hear that a fellow rider is ok after an incident like that.

Is your passenger ok? Pissed? Scared of bikes now?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for the kind wishes and concerns.
I believe three things made a critical difference.
1. helmet, of course. nexx, potuguese, i now verfify that it works, minus the head lacerations...
2. speed. less than 60km/h, or 40 mph
3. urban area. access to trauma clinic. neurosurgeon immediately knew to drill a hole in my head to relieve cranial pressure from fluid buildup, and to chill my body to 33 centigrade (91f). trauma clinic not available on those nice country roads.

more tree bash than road rash. just some marks on the belly where my leathers slipped up, and some on my arm from a tear in my leather jacket on impact.

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Damn! :jsm:
I'm sorry you had to go through all that, but im' really glad you survived to tell the story and you're "ok".
All the best for a full recovery and take care. :) :brutale:

·
Registered
102 Posts
Get well soon! Thanks for the warning!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am very glad both of you are gonna be ok, you have some healing but hopefully you will be ok.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts