MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We know that when Messers Tamburini and Castiglioni together with Mr Ferrari, discussed the possibilities of producing a new high performance motorcycle, the end result was the design and ultimately production of the MV F4 and Brutale models we know and love. :)

I believe that as well as the 750 variants which were produced initially, there was talk of a 900 and a 600 too. Ok so the Brutale is now enlarged to 910 and the F4 to 1000cc. But what of a smaller capacity machine? :grin:

Unfortunately the precarious state of the MV concern at the moment will preclude any chance of seeing such a bike in the near future, but my question is; given the finance needed for design, tooling etc. would there be a market for say a 600 F4 and/or Brutale?

The Japs make bucket loads of 600's, I read a test report in the MCN recently which said the new Yamaha R6 was faster (on a certain track) than it's bigger brother the R1. :blush:

I personally would still have a thou, but if I could afford it, I think a 600 F4 would make a great track day weapon and perhaps a small Brutale would gain a popular following also?

What do you think? ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
when massimo met claudio

interesting train of thought john,but i think the way the 600s are evolving so fast, small manufactures would soon be swamped by the pace of change. it is my own belief that agusta should have kept the 750 f4 in their line up. not every one is overly keen on the thou. my 750 is 2 years old this summer and i would have bought a new 750, but what do i do now. the 750 was a nice niche marketing class for agusta, i think it will cost them sales :blah: :blah: :blah:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Velocemoto said:
Bottom line...I would purchase a 600 F4 tomorrow....if it was 30kg lighter.
Yep.
Let me quote you there.

I bought the 749R for the track because it has less power :toothless

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i think they would make very little money stateside. because the MV is such an exotic, people don't want to pay a whole lot of money for the "ferrari of motorcycles" and then get beat by an gixxer750 or an R6. that's why they moved up to the 1000cc class. i agree that MV wouldn't be able to keep up with the 600cc class presented by asia. especially if they don't race. if we are getting bored just a little with new "limited editions" can you imagine the folding they would take in mass sales with this philosophy in the supersport segment?

i had to emphasize mass sales, because i bet you that some would buy it...especially MV owners. and then, what would they make it look like? the F41000? i think in castoglioni's interview he said he wanted to make a 600cc bike. but at the time, he was also riding the high of the new deal with proton. guess we'll see.

·
Registered
474 Posts
A 600 would sound good, so long as they de-stroked the crank for more revs. Imagine another couple of thousand rpm on top of the 750 :birthday:

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i imagine it everytime it does the preflight swing of the rpm gauge. didn't someone once say that outside of cams, the only thing preventing the rpm from being that high was the alternator or something like that? wonder how high the veltro will spin up.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Steptoe said:
A 600 would sound good, so long as they de-stroked the crank for more revs. Imagine another couple of thousand rpm on top of the 750 :birthday:
How about a 600/6 Steptoe? :) :) :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
stay clear of the 600 market the japanese rule the roost, Triumph learned some hard lessons, it cost them many years of developement & loads of money :blah: :blah:

·
Registered
298 Posts
I'd love to ride an MV twin...something that looks better than a Ducati and goes round a track faster

Whatever happened to talk of 600cc class replacing the 250cc stroker class at MotoGP level?

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
beearch said:
...something that looks better than a Ducati and goes round a track fasterQUOTE]

MV already do that mate...
Irony is, the new MV1000 is cheaper than a 999s.....hell, it's 5 grand cheaper than a 749R !!

MV twin ???.....nooooooo. MV's history revolves around screaming, howling multi-cylinder configurations..

What you really want, is it to step back in time and make sure Teberlanche doesn't get the Head Design job at Ducati when they left CRC/Tamburini....

Lets see now:
Multistada :barfalot:
999 :barfalot:
749 :barfalot:
ST3 :barfalot:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I laughed out loud at your post Velocemoto, I could not add to your very accurate use of the puke icon!

The only good thing is that Terblanche is no longer the full time Ducati style director, only working on specific projects...

In my view the only thing he has really done well is the Sportsclassic trio, I guess the design was always there, but the Paul Smart is really a great bit of design.
It has to be remembered though the original race machine that Paul won the Imola 200 on 33 years ago produced 80bhp with a weight of181kgs, so with the design magic of 30 odd years what can be done..... drum roll!!!
92bhp at 181kgs!

Yeah, I agree with Velocemoto, Tamburini and his cohorts et al at Bimota had it all together.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Velocemoto said:
beearch said:
...something that looks better than a Ducati and goes round a track fasterQUOTE]

MV already do that mate...
Irony is, the new MV1000 is cheaper than a 999s.....hell, it's 5 grand cheaper than a 749R !!

MV twin ???.....nooooooo. MV's history revolves around screaming, howling multi-cylinder configurations..

Heh heh
True True
I threw in the twin thing because I wonder how the MV would handle given a V-twin's power delivery characteristics. Would it be better (if that's possible!)?
That and I like off the wall ideas like whacking RG500 motors into RS250 chassis, makes this hobby of ours an interesting one!
MV finally did it with the F4 1000, gave the chassis a deserving motor...I just wonder what the F4 or something like it would be like if it had a different type of motor (V5, triple, V8???)

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Various manufacturers have produced 6 cylinder road sports bikes over the years, Honda (CBX) Benelli (Sei) Kawasaki Z1300. It seemed to be a fad a bit like turbo charging bikes back in the 80's. The mainstream gravitated back to in line 4's which is where we are today with of course a few notable exceptions (Triumph) and the V twin manufacturers. I would love to see a MV 6 cylinder roadbike but I don't think it's going to happen. ;) Hope they prove me wrong.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
I must admit I hated the 999 for a long time, thought it was the ugliest motorcycle ever made when I first saw it and cringed badly when a friend bought one but after looking at it for some time now it's no longer the eyesore that it once was (except for those stock exhausts) and if the MV didn't exist I would probably be buying a 749. :loser:

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
This thing about bashing the 999's is getting old :rolleyes:

I love both the MV F4 and the Duc 999/749 design.
Yeah, at first i didn't like the 999 but with time and since the "new" ones came out (red frame, WSBK style swingarm) i began to like it and now i really love the way it looks.
In the looks department the MV is a love at first site thing, but the Duc will grow on you and you'll end up loving it's looks the same as the MV. It's different from any other and it's unique.
I think most 999 bashers haven't even seen the bike in person or have just seen the first models.

Anyway here's a pic for the 999 haters :toothless :p

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
MV-999R said:
This thing about bashing the 999's is getting old :rolleyes:
I love both the MV F4 and the Duc 999/749 design.
Yeah, at first i didn't like the 999 but with time and since the "new" ones came out (red frame, WSBK style swingarm) i began to like it and now i really love the way it looks.
In the looks department the MV is a love at first site thing, but the Duc will grow on you and you'll end up loving it's looks the same as the MV. It's different from any other and it's unique.
I think most 999 bashers haven't even seen the bike in person or have just seen the first models.
Anyway here's a pic for the 999 haters :toothless :p
I don't thinks it's 999 bashing, I really don't....I just think there's a general sense of lingering dissapointment with Ducati and the 999. I think most of us here are probably Ducati lovers, and a majority have owned Ducatis...I know I have. But until the 999/749 range is replaced with something decent to look at, I won't even consider another Duke.
I'm sure there's many current MV riders who feel exactly the same way.

The looks will grow on me???...well it's been 3 years and I still don't like it.. The looks of the 999 will never grow on me because the proportions of the motorcycle are unbalanced and awkward....no matter what color they paint the frame, subframe or swingarm...the basic design elements of the bike are not to my tastes.

I think most so-called 999 bashers probably have seen it in the flesh, because that's when the true dissapointment sets in. The poor finish on the frame welds frame, the fugly subframe they now paint black to hide. The poor panel fit, the ungainly groove the petrol tank, the terrible exhaust...seeing one in the flesh just drives the nail deeper. But to top it all off, then you witness the price :finger:
I've also ridden both a 749s and a 999.........neither really did it for me. 999 engine was great from memory, 749s was slowish....

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
kamranmarashi said:
Well, I certainly don't expect everyone to love and have the same taste. Unless of course it's a "Hardley". After all that's what drives all of us to strive for development and creativity. The negatives I hear most are "all" from those in love with the 916... and that's ok. As for me I love them all. But one thing I experience day after day is when I park my Duc at a local coffee shop where there's a lot of foot traffic. There isn't a day that "several" people and or tourists walk up to it and take their pictures with it, and/or a crowd gather around it. I have a serious problem with people who try to mount their toddlers on the Duc to take the toddlers' pictures (for safety reasons). Once I saw a mother and a teenage daughter get too close for my comfort to my Duc. I thought she was ready to mount the bike, until I noticed the dad was taking their picture standing by my Duc...there's no end to these kind of experience that I have been having. Which only goes to tell me that 749/999 is very appealing to an unbiased eye, only the biased eyes show such hate for the bike...!!!
You know, I'm also on my local Duc forum... and they are all supportive of me riding an MV. They also have an appreciation for all Italian bikes...and I don't experience such hate for another Italian bike while on the Duc forum!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ride with a smile, keep the Michelins (rubber) down, and Dainese (leather) up!
Nicely said.

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nice photo mate :smoking: Dig those shades. Bike looks good too!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts