MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just interested to know how often people get to ride in the countries they live in? We have about 300+ ridable days a year in Western Australia, I don’t know how you guys manage in the colder climates, putting your bike away for so long every year would be to hard!

Reactions: SouthrnSmkd

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,416 Posts
I live in Charleston SC and have about the same number of riding days as you. Some cold weather but not unbearable. The summer is hot and sticky and I usually don't ride when it is really hot

·
Registered
73 Posts
Southern California offers 365 days of stellar weather and world class curves. But 72* and sunny ain't cheap! LOL

·
Registered
879 Posts
It only rains about 20 days a year where I live. And if it does rain it's only for about 15-30min then there is sunny skys!

I've had to live with my bike inoperable for about a year now! I hate it. But there's about a thousand things going on at once. Soon.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just interested to know how often people get to ride in the countries they live in? We have about 300+ ridable days a year in Western Australia, I don’t know how you guys manage in the colder climates, putting your bike away for so long every year would be to hard!
Victoria Australia. I have 8-9 bikes to choose from so I'm riding every day. Just about to head off on my Norvin. Be back later tonight.

·
Registered
F3 800 (2014), Ducati Monster 1100 Evo
26 Posts
Sadly we have a long off season in Germany from about October/November until March/April depending on weather and individual feeling about temperature. Today we got 10 deegre celcius, i would love to ride, but: No, makes no sence for me.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a friend in Australia and always jealous of how often he can ride. In the UK I gave up commuting by bike many years ago so only ride in good weather now, just for pleasure. Typically I have my last ride of the years in November and start again in March/April. I dont mind it cool, I have kit thats comfortable for say 8 deg upwards, so long as its not wet. Its 10-13 deg C here now and looking forward to a ride out tomorrow :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
I do ride the entire year, however not with the MV or Duc as its hard to get the tyres to stick. I have my Husky for that, otherwise I spend more time on my bikes than in a car and I do at least 20tkm a year....
cheers

mjvduc

·
Registered
691 Posts
Year round on Gulf Coast of TX. But not this morning with a cold front: 25 mph winds and chilly and spitting rain.
My riding seems to come in groups of 2-3 nice days. Hot, six month humid summers put me on an early morning riding clock: out by 8 AM, back by 11 AM.

Reactions: SouthrnSmkd

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sadly we have a long off season in Germany from about October/November until March/April depending on weather and individual feeling about temperature. Today we got 10 deegre celcius, i would love to ride, but: No, makes no sence for me.

Likewise in Sweden as we in the south have similar weather.
Would like to ride more than I do nowadays, but work gets in the way at the moment.
Covid-19 sucks as it gets in the way of a lot of things workwise and in general life.
Hope to be able to get out more on our bikes from may onwards.

I am a little jealous of you guys that can ride all year round🤘

·
Registered
576 Posts
Like a couple of the other so calif residents.
I can ride year round, but if there is a dark cloud in the sky. I wait for another day...

·
Registered
2013 MV Agusta F4RR
60 Posts
Connecticut rider here, and similar season to that in Germany apparently. Season usually wraps up some time late October until April....

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Despite it terrifying most Australians, our winter in Canberra is quite mild compared to some on here. I still leave the bike unregistered over winter while I service it. Generally I register it again in September for 3 months, then unregistered for christmas because of family commitments and heat then register again mid Feb for 3 months.
As for riding, I tend to avoid Sundays because alot of wallys are out and about. As a shift worker I sneak out on weekdays when there is less traffic in the hills.

·
Super Moderator
2,801 Posts
New Zealand is 24x7x365 - although the south island passes can be a little tricky during winter and some of the north island high-plains also suffer. These tend to be days or weeks in duration vs. the need to "Winter-ize" our bikes.
Some of the riders who prefer dry conditions will de-register for a wet-months, but that's preference vs. true weather-conditional restrictions.

·
Registered
2005 F4 AGO 2017 TVL RC
6,416 Posts
Despite it terrifying most Australians, our winter in Canberra is quite mild compared to some on here. I still leave the bike unregistered over winter while I service it. Generally I register it again in September for 3 months, then unregistered for christmas because of family commitments and heat then register again mid Feb for 3 months.
As for riding, I tend to avoid Sundays because alot of wallys are out and about. As a shift worker I sneak out on weekdays when there is less traffic in the hills.
You can de-register and register a during the year? Interesting

·
Super Moderator
2,801 Posts
Yes, in NZ we have 3 elements to vehicle registration, basically structured as:

1. Compliance - this is the initial evaluation of the vehicle and ensures it complies with our legal requirements (every new/imported vehicle must be complied to NZ standards) (1 x time event). This puts the vehicles "VIN" number into the NZ Land Transport system. ($300 - $500)

2. Warrant of Fitness - Pending age of vehicle, this is a regular check for road-worthiness. Tyres, Brake pads, Indicators, oil leaks etc. are checked in detail. Basically, is the vehicle 'fit' for the road? (Every 12, 24, 36 months pending age - e.g., New vehicles automatically receive a 3-year WoF). You cannot get a WoF unless the bike is "complied". ($50-75)

3. Registration - All vehicles must be registered for road-use. You cannot register a vehicle unless it has a valid "WoF". You can de-register your vehicle for 3-12 months. If the vehicles WoF expires within that period, you have to get another WoF before you can re-register it. If you re-register within the requested period (after 1 month, the cost is back-dated for the missing month). If you place the vehicles registration on hold and do not re-extend this before 12 months is up, then the vehicle is automatically de-Complied so you must proceed start at Step1 again. (Even for brand-new vehicles). There is a sliding scale for engine-sizes (bigger engines cost more to register) ($300 - $600)

It's an easy system to work with as long as you stay on-top of your 'on-hold' bikes.....the biggest frustration for me is multiple bikes. There is no reduction based on the number of bikes each bike (of the same capacity) costs exactly the same to register ~. (Quite a few of my mates who own multiple H-D's simply swap plates between their bikes)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
You can de-register and register a during the year? Interesting
We have the option in my state to register for 3,6 or 12 months at a time. Provided the vehicle is not unregistered for more than 12 months continuous another roadworthy inspection is not required. Once the vehicle is 30 years old it is eligible for historic rego which is very cheap but has some restrictions on when you can ride it and requirement to keep a log book. Some don't take up this offer if they ride alot. I will because I don't do many road kays.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Yes, in NZ we have 3 elements to vehicle registration, basically structured as:

1. Compliance - this is the initial evaluation of the vehicle and ensures it complies with our legal requirements (every new/imported vehicle must be complied to NZ standards) (1 x time event). This puts the vehicles "VIN" number into the NZ Land Transport system. ($300 - $500)

2. Warrant of Fitness - Pending age of vehicle, this is a regular check for road-worthiness. Tyres, Brake pads, Indicators, oil leaks etc. are checked in detail. Basically, is the vehicle 'fit' for the road? (Every 12, 24, 36 months pending age - e.g., New vehicles automatically receive a 3-year WoF). You cannot get a WoF unless the bike is "complied". ($50-75)

3. Registration - All vehicles must be registered for road-use. You cannot register a vehicle unless it has a valid "WoF". You can de-register your vehicle for 3-12 months. If the vehicles WoF expires within that period, you have to get another WoF before you can re-register it. If you re-register within the requested period (after 1 month, the cost is back-dated for the missing month). If you place the vehicles registration on hold and do not re-extend this before 12 months is up, then the vehicle is automatically de-Complied so you must proceed start at Step1 again. (Even for brand-new vehicles). There is a sliding scale for engine-sizes (bigger engines cost more to register) ($300 - $600)

It's an easy system to work with as long as you stay on-top of your 'on-hold' bikes.....the biggest frustration for me is multiple bikes. There is no reduction based on the number of bikes each bike (of the same capacity) costs exactly the same to register ~. (Quite a few of my mates who own multiple H-D's simply swap plates between their bikes)
That's interesting thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,920 Posts

mate, im in aus too, Melb. how do u leave a bike unregistered for period of times? here in melb if u dont register the bike and the reg laps u have to go through the whole roadworthy thing. Ive got 8 bikes, so yeh its one big problemo. U have to have them all registered for the year

1 - 20 of 36 Posts