MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to have my centers painted on my 312 and I am hearing to go with powder coating but the prob is the guy is limited on colors he could match close to the red but not perfect. But i could get them painted and match perfect. What would you guys recommend arent the stock rims painted? Would like to avoid powder coating because a body shop painter would be more apt to pay attention to detail when taping up the wheel then I think a powder coater would.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Getting the wheels powder coated will be more durable than a paint job would be. Powder coating is very limited in colors and is extremely hard to match. Paint would be look better, but you will have to worry about the paint chipping. I am getting my wheels powder coated as we speak. I spoke with the shop this morning and they are having problems matching the silver. I told him to get it as close as possible to the silver as he can. If it does not come out good, I will just have him sand blast the wheels back down and then I will go get them painted. I will keep you posted and let you know.

·
Registered
352 Posts
You must remove the bearings and valve stems before they powder coat the wheels. They do recommend replacing the bearing after you take them out, but they are 75 bucks each. Just heat the area up and tap it out from the outside (gently) and you might be able to reuse them.

·
Registered
17,189 Posts
wa2fst said:
I am looking to have my centers painted on my 312 and I am hearing to go with powder coating but the prob is the guy is limited on colors he could match close to the red but not perfect. But i could get them painted and match perfect. What would you guys recommend arent the stock rims painted? Would like to avoid powder coating because a body shop painter would be more apt to pay attention to detail when taping up the wheel then I think a powder coater would.
I strongly recommend powder coat for two reasons: 1. The color match will likely be very close, and since your wheels will be distanced from your paint by some distance, I doub't if you'll notice any slight difference. and 2. You can almost guarantee that paint will discolor or chip quickly in the future. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts