MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some big questions out there, and some weird developments, so please share what you know.
Weight of any or all wheels, state if it's with disc's on front wheels please.
Which wheels will fit on which model bikes, are they interchangeable?
Bearing and axle sizes would be great, so would pictures if the different lay-outs.

From number2
"Okay, I don't know if someone has actually tried to fit a set of wheels from an older MV to a newer model, but I just tried and it does not work. The fork bottoms on the new bike 2012 Brutale are machined so that the spacers needed for the older wheel will not fit between the fork bottoms. The wheel from the older bike is a Marchesini Magnesium wheel and it has the spacers which are needed for the axle. This combination is about 3mm too wide. I will look again but it does not appear to work"

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, I don't know if someone has actually tried to fit a set of wheels from an older MV to a newer model, but I just tried and it does not work. The fork bottoms on the new bike 2012 Brutale are machined so that the spacers needed for the older wheel will not fit between the fork bottoms. The wheel from the older bike is a Marchesini Magnesium wheel and it has the spacers which are needed for the axle. This combination is about 3mm too wide. I will look again but it does not appear to work
Time for some pictures George. I know it will work, it might just be a matter of getting the spacers machined down to get the end gaps right.

You have a link (is this another stupid question?) on where to find those; I did a "bing" search and all I can find is auto wheels. .
-Davis
Where are you searching Davis ? Just look in the Market Place section, Design Corse and Evolution Bike have a few options on their sites.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
You are correct. They will fit with some modification to the spacers. They are definitely not plug and play

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are correct. They will fit with some modification to the spacers. They are definitely not plug and play
I had this suspicion George, I'm wondering what MV's done to bridge the gap.
When you do the installation, could you get some pictures so we can share the info please ?

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I need to get to the bottom of this.

I feel bad about those wheels not fitting straight up George.
Can you tell me which spacers you where trying to use from the pics below?
If for some reason there's more behind the compatibility between these bikes forks, we need to make other aware of it, including the wholesale people.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
I feel bad about those wheels not fitting straight up George.
Can you tell me which spacers you where trying to use from the pics below?
If for some reason there's more behind the compatibility between these bikes forks, we need to make other aware of it, including the wholesale people.
number 18 on the second drawing

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Copied from Noel:

25.55 lbs/11.61kg original alloy 'Stars'
17.62 lbs/8.01kg 10 spoke 'Superlights', Marchesini
16.6 lbs/7.54kg CF, BST
15.5 lbs/7.04kg original Mg 'Stars'
13.8 lbs/6.27kg 10 spoke Mg Marchesini

numbers from MotoWheels, with bearings and spacers

swingarms, no hub,or pinch bolts with bearings and chain guides
'00-'09 15.39 lbs/6.995kg
'10+ 12.39 lbs/5.630kg
i weighed them

so if you run Mg Marchesinis, the new swing arm and a non O-ring chain (-~2.2 lbs/1 kg in 525)

you're 16.95 lbs/7.70 kg lighter.....and most of that is rotating unsprung weight.....
Does anyone know if the Star wheels on the 2002 Senna were light weight or the heavier Star Wheels

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
number 18 on the second drawing
Thanks George, and I assume you left the original one's out ? You didn't get to measure the one's from your bike by any chance ?

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Thanks George, and I assume you left the original one's out ? You didn't get to measure the one's from your bike by any chance ?
Did not use any other spacers. Only used these because of the axle. As I said the left fork bottom is wider than the right. If it was the same width as right the wheel would fit

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did not use any other spacers. Only used these because of the axle. As I said the left fork bottom is wider than the right. If it was the same width as right the wheel would fit
Thanks George.

·
Registered
14,532 Posts
I can fit the wheels...... BUT I need accurate dimensions not pictures

the left spacer is the one that counts, the right spacer only helps the axle push the wheel to the left

1st you need to center the wheel between the fork legs, then measure from the left bearing to the left fork bottom......and make a spacer of that width

then measure from the right bearing to the right fork leg and make a 2nd spacer about 1.5-2.0 mm shorter, to make it easy to mount the wheel

simple :naughty:

pencil, paper, measuring devices, a lathe and some bar stock

:drummer:

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The black looks great man.
I'll start a new thread soon, where we will outlay the difference's and everything involving the wheel changes between the different models, for the benefit of all members, fact's and figures, not just hear say.
I'm glad you're sorted George.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
thanks. I am sure some one with the right tools can fine tune the modifications, but the bottom line is the wheel spacers have to be trimmed down and the rotor on the left side of the wheel had to be shimmed 2 mm. The only other way to make it work would have been to do serious surgery on the left fork bottom

·
Registered
938 Posts
thanks. I am sure some one with the right tools can fine tune the modifications, but the bottom line is the wheel spacers have to be trimmed down and the rotor on the left side of the wheel had to be shimmed 2 mm. The only other way to make it work would have been to do serious surgery on the left fork bottom
The distance from rotor to rotor is 2mm larger on the older wheels? OR Smaller? I guess I'm confused.

·
Super Moderator
22,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
rotor on the left side of the wheel had to be shimmed 2 mm. The only other way to make it work would have been to do serious surgery on the left fork bottom
Wow, that's not good mate, keep an eye on things to make sure they stay tight.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts