MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been looking at a lot of the wonderful F4s and F3 in the gallery's. I have noticed that there are more than a few F4s and F3 s with Ferrari shields mounted onto the bikes. From full sized shields to small discreet ones on fork legs ect.
Now I know what the association with MV and Ferrari is, and I also know that some shields were added during the early years by some owners to the F4s. Today's was a little surprised to see Ferrari shields mounted up on some F3s to.
May I ask whatare the thoughts behind doing this? Is there a reason for doing this? I am genuinely interested in knowing the reasons why if I may.
I do hope I get the answers to my questions. Thanks Brando

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
I think it's the whole thing the F4's F stands for Ferrari. There was a time when Ferrari was involved in helping design the engine for a prototype MV I think 750 cc capacity...based on some F1 engine...I am going by memory here. but finally in the production version of the engine nothing but the radial valves got carried over...hence the Ferrari stamps on a lot of the MVs. ALso a lot of people consider the MV as the Ferrari of motorcycles...

·
Registered
542 Posts
A few items as others have explained it to me -
- Its Italian
- Its considered the Ferrari of motor bikes
- Ferrari was involved in collaborating with MV on engine design at one point
- Media continues to use comparison statements to Ferrari on two wheels

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Some people just like to try to raise the status of their things. Fake Rolexes and Gucci bags, BMW owners putting 'M' badges on regular BMW's. And my former yard man who managed a Ferrari badge on his ... whatever it was red coupe. :wtf:

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Do a search Brando, this has been asked many times (and Admin really needs to wake up and update the headings in the Gallery !!!!!!)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hi Quad-turbo, I would say that more than half of the subjects posted have been asked before. However I have searched and as yet cant find any threads as to why owners do this from a personal point of view. All I can find is the history of how ferrari was involved in the F4 cylinder heads in the early days, (but nothing to do with the F3s). But as posted in my opening post, I know about the legend/history already.
I was really asking for personal opinions/reasons from MV owners who actually have done it. Any links to such threads would be greatly reseved :) Brando

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
I would say that more than half of the subjects posted have been asked before. However I have searched and as yet cant find any threads as to why owners do this from a personal point of view. All I can find is the history of how ferrari was involved in the cylinder heads in the early days. But as posted in my opening post, I know about the legend/history already.
I was really asking for personal opinions from MV owners who acualy have done it. Any links to such threads would be greatly reseved :) Brando
Fair enough.....I find often that thread pages become limited for some reason, maybe admin can tell us why?????

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Though I do agree with what you say about the gallery Quad-turbo. I don't find it easy to navigate. Brando

·
Super Moderator
22,447 Posts
Most people who deface and F4 or other MV with a Ferrari Badge get flamed for that action. So, there is little info about WHY they do it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
the F stands for Ferrari
Ferrari engine design team designed and built the first MV F4 750 prototype engine .Apprantly the deal was to always call the the engine F range no mater if 750 or 1100cc (talk of a 1150cc F4 soon)
From a freind at mcn uk Ferrari designed the F3 engine as well as a F2 500cc inline twin engine for MV.Will we see a F2 and a B2 soonish or a MV motard type

most of this information is accesable from the MV history site

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi, I wonder why MV did not put a small badge on at the factory. I know thhat the ferrari factory did allow the MV factory to dress two F4s in Ferrari F1 livery in the early days of the F4. This was to celebrate Ferrari winning yhe F1 championship. Brando

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Morning Quad-turbo. Yes i agree they are not, however i think it would be interesting to try and understand the reasoning why the badges are added.
My family has always had Ferraris and MV as long as i can remember, we currently have two of each (x2 F4s and x2 Ferraris). MV Agusta IMO is just as special as any ferrari in its own right, they are a Italian exotic of the highest order.
Bellow is a picture of the F4 that i spoke about in my last response,my dad has an article on this very special bike. Brando

Attachments

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
Morning Quad-turbo. Yes i agree they are not, however i think it would be interesting to try and understand the reasoning why the badges are added.
My family has always had Ferraris and MV as long as i can remember, we currently have two of each (x2 F4s and x2 Ferraris). MV Agusta IMO is just as special as any ferrari in its own right, they are a Italian exotic of the highest order.
Bellow is a picture of the F4 that i spoke about in my last response,my dad has an article on this very special bike. Brando
Morning mate, that MV looks lovely, and I agree MVs are as special as Ferraris, (which Ferraris do you have?) ......there was certainly information sharing, I won't go into that in public, but also much help from Porsche. Bottom line is though, Claudio had to sign off on every aspect of design, engine or cosmetic, as with the Ducatis etc prior, the F4 was his baby. (in fact out of the original 300 Serie Oro, he kept #12 plus the prototype and sold about 75 of the rest to a small portion of prospective buyers ....12500+ has signed up to purchase an Oro,....the other 224 were given to Agusta Family, and other dignitaries, Agostini, Royalty etc etc)...a truly great man :yo: (by the way Claudio loved Ferraris and had an F40 as his daily driver)

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
You may notice that the MV in your pic has other stickers that are not pertinent to that bike either :) (Brembo for instance)

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Brando..It's a good question...As you know ( cuz I know you research your subject ), there was a link with Ferrari in the early days of engine development. and the radial valves are a legacy and a link to Ferrari..Yes and I know that radial valves were probably invented in the 1920's ; ) but none the less in a contemporary time frame ( contemporaneously even ) there is a link to Ferrari.

So it would seem that these badges are put on as a link to that period..an acknowledgement and a token of affection towards an Italian relative.

I wish folks would stop telling posters to use search.; ) ..I like subjects being brought up even if they have been discussed before...The search function is pretty mediocre to say the least on the forum platform..

The forum would be a bit sad if peeps became reluctant to post because they get shot down for asking something that was asked before....Ask away I say : )

Maybe asking to use search would be a good idea in "other areas" of the forum ; )

joe

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I wish folks would stop telling posters to use search.; ) ..I like subjects being brought up even if they have been discussed before...The search function is pretty mediocre to say the least on the forum platform..

The forum would be a bit sad if peeps became reluctant to post because they get shot down for asking something that was asked before....Ask away I say : )

Maybe asking to use search would be a good idea in "other areas" of the forum ; )

joe
Hi, Jo. Yes I agree and thank you:)
I seem to have inherited the Italian passion of my dad. I need to ask and discuss all matters MV:smoking: Brando

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Hi, Jo. Yes I agree and thank you:)
I seem to have inherited the Italian passion of my dad. I need to ask and discuss all matters MV:smoking: Brando

That's cool Brando...I also have an Italian passion thing going on although it kind of crept up on me rather than me making a conscious decision to go that way.

I remember when I was a kid ..I used to build up my bicycles as I couldn't afford to buy one new..My first recollection of Italian is buying Campagnolo parts and I distinctly recall liking the feel of the sheer beauty and quality of them...I guess that is where it started.

I firstly bought an Alfa Romeo, and love it...Then I built a Laverda Jota..and love it..Then I bought an F4 312 and then built a F4 1000R just for the joy of it..and I love em all.

I also have an Italian neighbour ( Stefano from Venice ) ...however I don't love him lol but he is a nice guy and really feels at home living next to me..

How is your aviating ?

joe:smoking:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I have a two hour lesson in the morning, I am loving it:)
How did you get on with your check ride that you were partaking in two weeks ago? Brando

1 - 20 of 59 Posts