MV Agusta Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a turn on my ride home from work, and it's flat out nasty. Sharp 90-degree right, that goes over a hill. The exit is blind, not because of objects in the way, but just because of the hill. The front gets completely unloaded at the apex, and I hardly dare to open the throttle for fear of upsetting the bike and having it spit me off. Needless to say, I kinda tip-toe through that turn.

Every time I ride it, I think "Holy crap, that would make the NASTIEST turn on a race track!"

I've done a few tracks here in So. Cal. - Buttonwillow, Willow Springs, Streets of Willow, Fontana, Pahrump (NV), and a few have some pretty tough corners. For example turn 6 at Willow Springs is pretty hairy to me. You ride up over a crest, and the bike tends to wheelie while leaned over on the right. It can generate a pretty nasty tank slapper, which shows that the chasis geometry is out of it's stable operating point. Turn 8 at Willow is pretty crazy too, but only because of the speed (145+). It's actually a very flat turn (no elevation change).

That got me thinking...What's the nastiest corner on any race track? And why?

I understand that the answer will vary a lot, but I'd love to read why some turns give us trouble and "get inside" our heads?

So, what is the worst corner for you?

Alex

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
You nasty turn sounds a lot like the hump at Mid Ohio.

Grattan T3 is a little nasty down hill left off camber. A couple other corners at Grattan can be interesting. :)

Gateway International Raceway near St. Louis has an infield road course that uses parts of the Nascar oval. One particular turn has a nice dip mid corner at the apex and it doesn't help that a few yards after the dip your facing the wall as you make the transition from the road course back to the oval.

·
Registered
352 Posts
When I think of nasty turns, I think about Laguna Seca. Most people would think that the top of the hill going into the corkscrew would be the nastiest turn, but I actually think it is turn one on the front straight. You are balls to the wall on the front straight going up the hill when all of a sudden the elevation drops and it kinks left. The wall is on the right and you do not see over the hill when you approach it. The tank is thrown into your chest when you chrest over the top and you have to put your entire body weight on the front end to keep the front wheel down as you are leaned to the left. May not sound too bad, but I guess you have to experience it to get the full effect.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
frenaugo said:
The nastiest turn I ever experienced was my mate of many years, life souls of any party and the envy of all of his piers for his abilty to gather the other sex (females), and also having (now ex), a beatiful wife and children to boot. Coming out and annoucing he was gay,,,, :loser:
haha.

and that is ugly.

btw, i can't wait to go a few laps at laguna seca! the corkscrew has me concerned, but as was already stated, turn 1 seems to separate the men from the boys.

at last year's motogp event, hadyen and vermeulen were going at least 4 to 5 kph faster than everyone else through there. iirc, tops for them was around 254kph, which makes laguna the slowest track on the calendar by a fair bit.

but damn if it isn't one of the hardest to ride.

alex

·
Registered
83 Posts
First corner in Brands Hatch and Dingle dell.

Arrabbiata 1 in Mugello and Piratella in Imola. :)

The big last left corner in Assen and last corner in Valencia.

The easyer one!? The banking in Daytona: scary but easy, just FULL THROTTLE!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
How about turn 1 (Doohan Corner) at Philip Isalnd? top gear flat out.
Picture this you come on to Gardiner Straight and you look down and all you can see is the ocean, next stop Antartica!, so you are blind down over the rise flat out into Doohan Corner.
You amy remember that is the one where he lost the front at 300kph and tried to bring it back up by his knee with smoke streaming off the slider, legendry stuff.
Actually there are so many incredible corners at Philip Island you could pick any.
roy Bayliss was asked once what was the scariest and he said that turn 4 at Philip Island just before Honda corner, flat out down hill, off camber. He said it was generally agreed among the paddock that this was the one where you needed the most balls anywhere.
Watch the second WSBK race in a few weeks and have a look.
Cheers all.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Ok...are we talking about turns we've actually ridden or stuff we've seen on TV or read about? :jerkoff:

For me it's Spokane Raceway Park, turn 3. You exit turn 2 wide freakin' open, try in vain to keep the front wheel down as you crest the rise there then zero in on the grain elevator in the distance in an attempt to find the right spot to hit the turn 3 kink. At this point you are flying blind and missing the line could mean a trip off the track at very high speed. I never went off there but saw a few unfortunate misses by others.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I stopped my bike and turned around to take this picture, its somewhere on the blue ridge parkway, I think in Virginia. It was basically a 180 degree turn, bordering a cliff with no shoulder or guard rail.....the picture speaks for itself. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
my scared turn in my race life is in istunbul race track the first one turn after start line you will see nothing about tht turn and....wow....the is a turn left heavy corner and you turned like you poot a button on elevator to -4 floor and then turn on right with full gas to +6 floor. i send photo from this corners but in the photo dosnt look scary. The second scary is the faster on gp again on turkie sirqouit is 16!!!! you have 5h gear after str8 and you must turn right with a lot of km/h. my beloved photo is the burn out on pits of this sirquit.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,448 Posts
Just about every corner on the Oliver's Mount circuit near Scarborough here in England scares the shit out of me!! :jsm:

http://www.oliversmount.com/

·
Registered
410 Posts
+1 on turn 1 at Laguna Seca...it's nasty. Although the corkscrew isn't a picnic either since it's also a blind entry as you come up the hill on the Rahal straight out of turn 6 and into turn 7.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I can't really say that there is any turn that I absolutely can't handle. There are a few at Arroyo Seco (my home track) which tie your head in knots more than any other track I've been to. It's very technical.

If I had to pick, Turn 1 at Road America. On the MV 750, I think I was touching 160 if I was tucked in, and I was being passed by 1k bikes like I was standing still. You're on the brakes before you can see the corner, which is kinda hairy when you're going that fast.

Biggest pucker moment is Kettle Bottoms at Road America. Double apex, almost flat out at about 145, knee not far off the ground. And walls on both sides.

I haven't ridden that many tracks though.

Paddock Hill Bend (Brands Hatch) looks like the worst corner just by looking at it.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Turn 2. State Motorcycle Centre, Broadford, Melbourne.

Called "Crash Corner" for a reason.

Up a rise to the braking area, about 80 degree right hander, completely blind because it drops away, so you have to pick your line perfectly or you will end up too wide for the next right hander, which is a left/right flip flop.

I love it!!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
MVF4SR said:
Turn 2. State Motorcycle Centre, Broadford, Melbourne.

Called "Crash Corner" for a reason.

Up a rise to the braking area, about 80 degree right hander, completely blind because it drops away, so you have to pick your line perfectly or you will end up too wide for the next right hander, which is a left/right flip flop.

I love it!!

..dont mind that corner at all :)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts